Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Underage car hire

Options
  • 18-12-2008 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

i was hoping to hire a car in ireland in march but not really having much luck as i'm 22 and my drivers licence has been valid from 08/02/08. turns out being 22 and only having a licence for a year is a big no no when it comes to renting a car in ireland. i've searched the major companies online and not had any luck - the best being argus, dan dooley and auto europe who will rent to a 22 year old once they've had a licence for 2 years. i was hoping someone on here might know of an independent company in ireland who are a little more lenient in who they rent a car to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was checking this myself today. Dan Dooley was the only one I found. Hertz said a charge would apply for drivers under 25, but then in FAQs said you must be 25 to hire a car in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

ninty9er wrote: »
    Was checking this myself today. Dan Dooley was the only one I found. Hertz said a charge would apply for drivers under 25, but then in FAQs said you must be 25 to hire a car in Ireland.

yeah they'll rent to people under 25 but the real sticking point is that i've only had a driving licence for a year and everyone seems to want at least a two year old one.

yeah they'll rent to people under 25 but the real sticking point is that i've only had a driving licence for a year and everyone seems to want at least a two year old one.

Is there someone with an insurance policy you could be added to that you know, so that you wouldn't have to rent a car at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

ninty9er wrote: »
    Is there someone with an insurance policy you could be added to that you know, so that you wouldn't have to rent a car at all?

nope, unfortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can add that when I was 21/22( cant remember which ) I hired a Focus Saloon from Dan Dooley in Shannon. The woman said they were the only people to rent to under 25's in the country without sticking you for it.

With Hertz for any car above a Mondeo if you Irish you need to be 30 years old. MAD :mad:

Dan Dooley have a lot of **** stock though so it depends on what you want. He actually has more Fiat Punto's than Fords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Berty wrote: »
    I can add that when I was 21/22( cant remember which ) I hired a Focus Saloon from Dan Dooley in Shannon. The woman said they were the only people to rent to under 25's in the country without sticking you for it.

With Hertz for any car above a Mondeo if you Irish you need to be 30 years old. MAD :mad:

Dan Dooley have a lot of **** stock though so it depends on what you want. He actually has more Fiat Punto's than Fords.

Clancy car rentals in Cork also do hires for <25.

Berty wrote: »

I haven't seen too many Puntos on the sale lot as before, more Clios though. They're not cheap for under 25s though. At least not on the web. I'm sure you'd get a better quote by phoning Knocklong.

Advertisement