Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why?!

Options
  • 18-12-2008 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Having lived in many different places it never ceases to amaze me how difficult Galway is as a place to gets dates. I'm sick of randomers, gave that up and now I'm stuck literally in no man's land...what is with this place??!

Comments

We Galway men are wimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

But what's to lose? I don't get it. And sorry if that first post came across as negative but is just really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

hit the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Weren't you talking about this before a while ago op?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Who ate all the pies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

But what's to lose? I don't get it. And sorry if that first post came across as negative but is just really frustrating.

Are you asking guys on dates or are you expecting guys to ask you out? Do you think it's your approach or is it really the men of Galway? I'm just curious, not having a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I think its the women with the problem not all mind but seems to be just the one's I meet. Things seem to going grand having the craic talking away then they wont give ya their no. at the end of the night or ya get the dreaded I like you but as a friend speech. Thats just my 2 cents or then again it could be just me after all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I seem to remember seeing the OP talking about this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sorry OP i'd love to go out with you but i'm washing my hair tonight :pac:

Seriously though, i've found that Galway people are very 'clicky', ie. stick to their own groups. Maybe something to do with it? I'd hate to be single and 'looking for that special someone' in Galway tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dates were only invented as a plot device for the American sitcom.

With that in mind, get drunk and grab the nearest available specimen of prime West-of-Ireland manhood and get him to knock you up with his Mayo immigrant seed. Forcing the issue will cure your manorexia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Having lived in many different places it never ceases to amaze me how difficult Galway is as a place to gets dates. I'm sick of randomers, gave that up and now I'm stuck literally in no man's land...what is with this place??!

This is all you seem to talk about...Why don't you hire a gigolo or post up your pic and we will see how ya get on?

Maybe your the problem;
    Do you do any of the following?

Wear a wedding dress on your date?

Yes [] No[]
    Bring all your family on a date?

Yes [] No[]
    When the wine comes at dinner, Ask him/her now the reds sorted what do you think we will serve as the white?

Yes [] No[]
    Admit desperation?

Yes [] No[]
    Hand him a ticket and tell him get in line?

Yes [] No[]
    Charge him before,after or during the date?

Yes [] No[]

Pics or STFU tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Yeah OP, I think a picture is in order....however, you're probably thinking too much into the whole thing, just relax go out and have fun, if guys are attracted to you (or girls, whatever) they'll come chat to you, dont go out with the mentality that you want to get a date, cause it'll just ruin your night if you don't meet someone. Failing that, dating websites seem to be the new pubs of today, and in this current economic climate, you could get chatted up and save money by not having to buy drinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I think a more Irish verion of "Pics or STFU" would be "Pics or GHTF"*

*Go home ta fvck

Edit:

On a side note, wanna go to the cinema with me on a "date"? I'll let you pay and all.

I'll bring you on a date, however you must do the following:

Pay for the 200 odd litres of diesel we'll burn
    Pay for the wine and Jack Daniels
    Pay for the steak

I'll provide the BBQ :D

But I promise you'll have a brilliant day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

On a side note, wanna go to the cinema with me on a "date"? I'll let you pay and all.

Oh yeah meant to say...since its obviously been a while since you've been on a date, woman pay nowadays and of course, sex is a given!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This whole dating thing is a bit alien to the Irish I think. Whatever happened to drunken groping and dancing at the crossroads??

But yeah, Galway isn't the hotbed of social activity for young singles that its reputation would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I blame the women!

I'm very happily attached & have no interest whatever in chatting up/dating/whatever other women.

But I've noticed in Galway that if you even accidentally make eye contact with a young woman, when you're passing in the street or whatever, 99 times out of 100 you'll get some variation of eyes down & face saying "Oh God, please don't talk to me" or "what the feck are you looking at?"

Like John said above, I really wouldn't want to be hoping to meet that special someone in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As some of ye may remember I had friends needing or wanting men. Was getting on my nerves. Anyway a new phenomenon has swept Galway & long may it last! Instead of the usual dating patterns we now have coffee/breakfast dates on Sunday morning...and my God are they working! 3 of my 6 ladies have now got other halves...becaue of this. In fairness it's great cos you get to chill & talk & really find out about a person, seems to be the latest in Halo anyway, arrange to meet the following day. Just said I'd share anyway cos I think it's a welcome development!

Getting frustrated? Have you tried online?

I met a special someone in Galway big b, it can happen \0/

biko wrote: »

Genuinely happy for ya, Biko :)

It clearly does happen, we're not all unattached. But there does seem to be a reluctance to engage with people outside the known circle of friends.

Maybe Gaeilgegrinds should attend tonights' beers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've pretty much given up on meeting someone in Galway, I just focussing my energies on other areas of my life and if something comes up it's a bonus

Do you give blowjobs on the first date? If that's the case, I'll go out with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DRakE wrote: »
    hit the gym
    Caliden wrote: »
    Who ate all the pies?
    *mono* wrote: »
    This is all you seem to talk about...Why don't you hire a gigolo or post up your pic and we will see how ya get on?

Maybe your the problem;
    Do you do any of the following?

Wear a wedding dress on your date?

Yes [] No[]
    Bring all your family on a date?

Yes [] No[]
    When the wine comes at dinner, Ask him/her now the reds sorted what do you think we will serve as the white?

Yes [] No[]
    Admit desperation?

Yes [] No[]
    Hand him a ticket and tell him get in line?

Yes [] No[]
    Charge him before,after or during the date?

Yes [] No[]

*Go home ta fvck

Edit:

chrussell wrote: »
    Oh yeah meant to say...since its obviously been a while since you've been on a date, woman pay nowadays and of course, sex is a given!
    Do you give blowjobs on the first date? If that's the case, I'll go out with ya.

Definitely a few virgins with no social skills posting on this forum. Its not After Hours lads, the OP asked a genuine question and all ye muppets can come up with is Beavis and Butthead type "jokes". Pretty f*ckin juvenile, the kind of stuff you expect from Drake tbh :rolleyes:

OP why don't you do the asking? I've had plenty of dates in Galway from meeting people out and having the craic, met someone special a while ago so not looking these days, but have friends who do the dating thing regularly. Don't agree with John about cliques either, I've lived in much smaller places where that was true, but there are people from all over the place living in Galway, they haven't formed cliques and are open to whatever, thats my experience anyway.

*Go home ta fvck

Edit:

GTFO

biko wrote: »
    Getting frustrated? Have you tried online?

What was his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DRakE wrote: »
    What was his name?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

big b wrote: »
    But I've noticed in Galway that if you even accidentally make eye contact with a young woman, when you're passing in the street or whatever, 99 times out of 100 you'll get some variation of eyes down & face saying "Oh God, please don't talk to me" or "what the feck are you looking at?"

In my experience, that applies to every urban area.

po0k wrote: »
    In my experience, that applies to every urban area.

It doesn't in mine.
    I've found Galway folks to be more reticent than in most other places I've spent any length of time.

But hey, we've clearly been to different places, no harm. :pac:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Don't agree with John about cliques either, I've lived in much smaller places where that was true, but there are people from all over the place living in Galway, they haven't formed cliques and are open to whatever, thats my experience anyway.

You never agree with anything I say ya smelly pike :D

But on a serious note... Z I was referring to my experience in Galway with students mainly (late teens/early 20's), it is clicky. From my experience I woudln't like to be a loner in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Zzippy wrote: »
    Definitely .... virgins with no social skills .....muppets .......Beavis and Butthead ...... f*ckin juvenile ......Drake tbh :rolleyes:.

Oh noes - you got all serious on their asses and stuff.

OP, cute chicks never have trouble getting asked out but swamp donkeys and trolls alwayz complain that there is something wrong with the dating scene/something in the water/genetic mutation which prevents them being asked out. Several serious dudes have asked you out - JC even offered to take you on his boat and I've seen him - he's smokin'. What are you waiting for? (pix pls kthxbai...)

'cptr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement