Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I met my lovely man(true galwegian) unexpectedly at club social when I wasn't looking.

In fact the whole thing started rather crazily.

Anyhow, tis proof it's possible.

I think Its very easy to have fun in Galway, but perhaps to achieve something more lasting.

I've had a great time these past few years, but then I wasn't looking for anything serious over this time.

Stop looking OP, concentrate on being happy in yourself and having a good time. Whats for you won't pass you afterall.... my current situation is most CERTAINLY a definate confirmation of this.

Best of luck!!

MH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Whats for you won't pass you

I say that all the time! firm believer in Everything happens for a reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

its terrible because i dont smoke! and im out there with my friends who do and thats where i have (sadly) ended up having the best craic and or meeting someone! but i read somewhere think it was actually CSO statistics that there are way more women in galway than men, so i think were already at a disadvantage!! :)

Afaik, Galway has more women and Limerick has more men, so Galway ladies get yourselves down to Limerick for a night, and any Limerick men reading, head to Galway. Work together people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

but i read somewhere think it was actually CSO statistics that there are way more women in galway than men, so i think were already at a disadvantage!! :)

And I still don't get asked out ever! :(:(

And I still don't get asked out ever! :(:(

ha ha are you hanging out in the smoking area?! maybe you should!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I know what ye mean about not looking but isn't it hard to act like you're having fun when inside you'd love to just not be so lonely.
    As for what I do with my spare time, run three nights a week, swim three mornings a week, have loads of friends so am always out and about doing something but there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there for me!
    Ah well, maybe Santa will oblige...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ha ha are you hanging out in the smoking area?! maybe you should!

Feck no, I don't want to sit in other people's smoke, just to meet a smoker.

jesus good point..dont know what i would do if i acyually ended up with one of them!

(reconsiders joining friends out in smoking area any more....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

HAve you tried dating websites?

Don't be so lonely we all get like that - and it would be worse to be with the wrong person and feel that way. Don't settle for meeting someone - wait for someone every as amazing as yourself.
    Be patient - He is out there perhaps just not ready for you yet- so in between time work on developing yourself doing all the things you wanted. and without sounding pukely predictable be happy by yourself first. It all is for a reason - of that I'm sure
    :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Ah come on now, "everything happens for a reason", "he is out there"?

Bollox to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I believe in the power of positive thought but only to a certain level. I wonder what it is that's wrong with me, fingers crossed I figure it out. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Bollox to that.

Sorry you feel that way - I believe its true.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way - I believe its true.

+1

As for what I do with my spare time, run three nights a week, swim three mornings a week, have loads of friends so am always out and about doing something but there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there for me!
    Ah well, maybe Santa will oblige...

They are very individual activities, have you joined an athletics club or a triathlon club? Galway has good clubs for both, iirc.

Bollox to that.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying What's for you won't pass you.

The enigmatic 'He' of the he is out there could infact be several men, as we all have several potentially suitable partners.

But if you meet somebody, even in the most bizarre circumstances, and you click, as in you both click, him with you, you with him, well, it's likely that it will go somewhere, if not immediately, someday it will.

That's what I'm getting at when I say the above, its not fate, it's practicality.......and nature doing its job.

Though I will say ladies, there are some fine looking men in Limerick :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Though I will say ladies, there are some fine looking men in Limerick :D
    Heavily armed too so you have the burly protector thing going on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Fate is nothing but crap people in relationships feed others who aren't in them.

It's tough being single at this time of year. Hell, it's tough in the summer when you've got no one to go to the beach with. It's tough in the springtime when all the birds are practically singing "sex sex we're gonna make baby birdies" and the swans are swimming around in their mated-for-life pairs.

But Christmas is **** anyway. Stupid Jesus. Why'd ya have to be born, you selfish little bastard.

(Actually I'm married and couldn't be happier but I was just trying to cheer you up, GG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Just wanted to add something to this thread, its 78 posts in less then two days! thats allot of activity! and I've seen time and time again Dating being posted as a big problem in Galway!!

I really believe it is! I've see been single and in a relationships in Galway, not exactly been with an Irish person, but that is because it's easier to get with people who are not from Galway, we'll get to that later.

However After living in 3 different counties before this! and having friends from many different countries around Europe, I can say Ireland in general has a big problem with it's dating culture! not that Galway is to be blamed, it certain ly doesn't help the situation but even with figures showing more single women then men. It still is extremely differ cult to meet even anyone, even if you don't them seriously!

if you look at the way most people meet there partner, like some of you have said vi friends, work partners, friends from school, neighbors even! all place where you see each other with no terms, however when you move away from childhood you lose this overlap and you options get less! As a person in my mid 20's in Galway the only options i have is at work, gym...(maybe) bars and clubs. that it! very small social circle, doesn't have much options of exploring different people and it certainly doesn't motivating a "Dating culture"

If you take the same example in a another country i was in,(50% English speaking) you have for more options;
    • College (coffee places, lunch activities, networking...)
    • work (networking.. canteens and coffee shops that are shared between various companies)
    • Metro/Train/bus (you can chat up people in the train on the way to work, Yes it's worked for me!!)
    • Village Festivals, Culture events, Exhibitions
    • I'm sorry to say but for a country that we take pride in our Irish dancing and Irish music, we don't celebrate this as well as other countries do! seriously we totally disregard it, we don't provide access to such events in small towns! we don't inform people properly about it to!
    • Social Interactions - Dancing, Salsa, Irish Dancing...
    • One way in which it makes it very easy to meet people is Dancing, I have made a few contacts from Salsa and Irish dancing in Galway, it's only on once a week in Cuba (Wed 9.30) but it's a good starting place,
    • When i tried in a country in Europe it was so more productive! anyone that goes their knows that they are out to have a good time, they let them selves in enjoy dancing and have no problem in exchanging numbers to meet again for coffee.!

I could go on with more, but Simple we have a big problem and it comes from the following:
    • - Our Modern Culture, does not allow for a person to feel comfortable about allow people to meet in random situation, (Bus/Train, shopping, festivals, dancing)
    • -Galways Nightlife, pubs and clubs are too loud! is some place where they are meant to be causal and toned down (Living room, Blu, Beirhusen) play music that is very noisy, as in it's differ cult to hear someone. Try minimal house,
    • -Alternative Social Actives:, Village festivals, Dinner with friends, walks and touring for a day with friends, all this is not done right in Ireland and their is a few things effecting this, Say i want to go to Oyster festival in Clarinbridge, but i don't want to spend a fortunie, and i don't want the hassle o taking a cab! What if a few freinds wanted to take a train to Athenry for the evening, return say before 12 to go to a club, maybe their is some village markets on where one could go in the evening and enjoy of local food! like I said we don't make it accessible here for people to travel and be social! It basically does not happen!! nothing here helps this here.
    • - Drink This is and we all know a big influence and also helps in a good way the pursuit of someone, but also had negative effects too! Why, Who wants to meet a person drunk, do I want to meet this person over a drink?? and am i taking this person seriously!! All this is the checks we go threw if we happened to meet someone randomly over a drink.

Likewise their is more that can be added to this. Ok their is points that could be argued on, but I've been in Galway for over 6 years and from my experiences abroad in between I've discovered the differences. and every time i return to Galway i notice more. I'm traveling away (work) and one of my major influences in me moving again is because that their is not proper dating culture in Ireland!! and like we all have noticed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

gaeilgegrinds - Look on the bright side, one less present you have to buy this XMas :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    gaeilgegrinds - Look on the bright side, one less present you have to buy this XMas :pac:

Too true!! The trouble I have had to go to this year, and it hasn't even arrived yet, and when it does, I'm not even sure if it'll work...

EEEk:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Too true!! The trouble I have had to go to this year, and it hasn't even arrived yet, and when it does, I'm not even sure if it'll work...

EEEk:eek:

Tell me about it! I only came up with the idea of a decent present for the GF a few days ago... It won't be here for XMas day but i'm not *too* bothered about that as the present won't be used until after the new year anyhow... It'll just suck writing in the XMas card "Your present is in the post" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah. And bollox to you
    How about go **** yourself?

Jesus lads talk about a storm in an internet teacup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I believe in the power of positive thought but only to a certain level. I wonder what it is that's wrong with me, fingers crossed I figure it out. Thanks for the replies
    Ah you've your whole life to settle down. Take the time to enjoy your friends and family, appreciate what you have for the time being, don't let not being in a serious relationship bother you. It'll happen in its own good time. You need to keep talking to people, meeting new people, but don't run into something you might find it hard to get out of - there are as many bad relationships as good. Relax.

Robbo wrote: »
    Heavily armed too so you have the burly protector thing going on as well.

Don't knock it Robbo, as a Limerickman myself (dating a girl living in Galway), what girl doesn't want a man who can take care of himself, and perhaps engage in a mini-war within the State too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Don't knock it Robbo, as a Limerickman myself (dating a girl living in Galway), what girl doesn't want a man who can take care of himself, and perhaps engage in a mini-war within the State too!

Grrr... coming up here... stealing our women... grumble grumble...

... oh wait... I'm from Kildare :pac:

Can't believe I used the word "dating", time to hand in my Irish passport...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can't believe I used the word "dating", time to hand in my Irish passport...
    Off to Americay with ye to hang about drinking coffee with your glamourous yet diverse friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Where does one actually find a Galway girl in Galway? The only girls I've been with since moving here have been for'dners, funnily enough. I think the notion of Galwegians living in Galway is a bit of a myth! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

cornbb wrote: »
    Where does one actually find a Galway girl in Galway? The only girls I've been with since moving here have been for'dners, funnily enough. I think the notion of Galwegians living in Galway is a bit of a myth! :pac:

I've grown up out side Galway and lived in Galway and the closest i've gotten to a galway girls is Dating a half Irish, from Galway!! any other girls I've been with have same as your self, foreigners, they are just far easier going and outgoing!
    I'm sorry Galway girls but you got to be more compeditive now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

If you ming then you are destined to be alone.

/thread

oh and join a club/pub/society

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement