Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could assemble an All Star XI........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

spiderdan wrote: »
    I'd have Maicon and Ramos ahead of Puyol any day. To say he's a world best RB is a joke, Wes Brown is better IMO. You're on own on that one!

So you dismiss Puyol but then suggest Ramos?! Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hell what about your own Richards?

Just on Puyol and the reasons why I picked him -

- Defensive minded. If I wanted an attacking full back I'd have Alvez in the team, certainly before Maicon anyway. With Messi and Robinho as my 'wingers' they are going to do zero defending so a full back who can't defend isn't worth a shite.

- Experience. Played for over a decade at the highest level and handles pressure.

- A leader. Not too many captains floating around my team.

So with that in consideration he is, imo, a solid choice at right full.

-

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hell what about your own Richards?

Lol what about him? I'd barely have him in the City team at the moment such is his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Casillas
    Alves Vidic Carvalho
    Kaka Riquelme Xavi Mascherano Stankovic
    Messi Ibrahimovic

LOL at people that think Ibrahimovic is no good - he is not the highest paid striker in the world for nothing - the guy is the most natural goalscorer on the planet, also its funny the way a lot people have Carragher and Evra on their teams - guys that cant even make their national teams, take yer heads out of the sand for crying out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Warper wrote: »
    Casillas
    Alves Vidic Carvalho
    Messi Ibrahimovic

LOL at people that think Ibrahimovic is no good - he is not the highest paid striker in the world for nothing - the guy is the most natural goalscorer on the planet, also its funny the way a lot people have Carragher and Evra on their teams - guys that cant even make their national teams, take yer heads out of the sand for crying out loud

Please tell me any succesful team which plays with only 3 at the back. On Ibrahimovic "the guy is the most natural goalscorer on the planet" LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

if you read the post Maicon is my choice ahead of Puyol, and yes Ramos is a better RB then Puyol, maybe not on form at the min but better overall, Im not a massive Ramos fan at all. Plus its not long ago that UTD and Chelsea were making noise over poss 20m plus bids- cant be that bad really

Puyol best RB- WOW, lol- good one!! anyone agree with that choice?? nah didn't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

redout wrote: »
    But like I said better players out there. Villa and Eto'o have far more impressive goalscoring records than Ibrahimovic.

David Villa Valencia 114 apps 70 goals

Spain 41 apps 24 goals

Samuel Eto'o Barcelona 122 apps 93 goals

Cameroon 73 apps 36 goals

Ibrahimovic brings way more than goals to a game.His overall play is fantastic, his vision is superb and you won't find a player with his talent now who can hit the ball so hard.He has amazing dribbling ability and he is scoring consistently in the Italian league.I think you'll find that the defenses in Serie A are better than La Liga.Unlike Eto'o he sint surrounded by some amazing attacking talent.If he had Messi,Iniesta and Xavi opening up defenses for him, he'd be scoring a lot more.

If you put Ibrahimovic into the Barcelona side and took Eto'o out, you'd improve it.Putting Eto'o in the Inter side and taking Ibra out, you would not.

I'm not going to argue about Villa as I rate Ibra and himself as the 2 best forwards.

Anyway,here's my team

Adler

Bosingwa---Vidic---Carvahlo---Maicon

Xavi
    Essien

Messi
    Robben

Ibracadabra---Villa

Please tell me any succesful team which plays with only 3 at the back. On Ibrahimovic "the guy is the most natural goalscorer on the planet" LOL.

I dont think he's the most natural but he's certainly a top 3 best striker- you have said nothing to prove otherwise- his record is very impressive, especially of late.

IMO in 08- Torres- Ibra- Eto

• Advertisement

Puyol best RB- WOW, lol- good one!! anyone agree with that choice?? nah didn't think so

So you ask a question then answer it straight away yourself? You'd make a shocking quizmaster.

I said I wanted a DEFENSIVE right back and the only reasonable alternative I've been offered is Wes Brown. Can you add another to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ShooterSF wrote: »
    In fairness I think most of us watch more EPL than anything else. Hard to pick players you dn't see often I guess. Though eZe^'s team has no EPL players so there are exceptions.

Realistically Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Clichy, Carvalho, Gerrard and Ronaldo could quite easily be in my team but I thought they'd already been adequately covered by everyone else.
    I dont get this whole Ibrahimovic thing I really dont. He is a forward and his main job is to score goals yet he doesnt score a bucket load of them anywhere in his career. He is also 27 so he has a fair bit of experience at this stage. Honestly think he is overrated by some. There is far better better quality forward players Torres, Villa, Eto'o etc.

This is what I find quite amusing. United fans will go as far as to say Rooney is the most important player for Man Utd and one of the best players in the world despite the fact his goal scoring record isn't even better than Robbie Keane's or Darren Bent's. You hear United fans shouting and rouring about how Rooney is more than just a striker, he brings other players into the team and is important for the fluidity of the whole team. Then you hear them say ironic things like Ibra is only a youtube footballer.

There is NO forward on the planet who is better at bringing other forwards/ midfielders into genuine goal scoring positions than Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Freddie Kanoute (who also has a better scoring record than Rooney) comes close but Ibrahimovic also has the ability to do something genuinely special on his own so I'd give him the edge. Zlatan last year was worth a goal every game he played (taking into account his goals and assists) in Serie A. Haven't seen him enough this year but I'm sure his goals and assists ratio mean he is close to being worth a goal a game.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Wes Brown, most appearances of any of the United defenders last season, which happened to be the best defense in Europe, that defensive enough for?

Attacking wise more assists and goals than Evra.

Puyol was part of a defense that conceded 43. Apart from that he predominately plays Centre back, but if you wish to add Brown to that, I refer you to the 2 Barcelona games last season where for me he was man of the match at the Nou Camp playing Centre Half.

The Barca team that conceded 43 goals in a season was the worst Barcelona side in the past 5/6 years, and they also ended up having the 4th best defense in the league. La Liga teams concede more goals than EPL teams, it's always been that way. Even the dream team from the 90's regularly conceded 40 goals a season, that's just the way La Liga has been. The only team that was very solid defensively and won La Liga was Rafa's Valencia side in 2001.

Carlos Puyol was also a part of the Spainish defense in the Euro's that conceded three goals in the whole competition and believe or not, went on to win the tournament. He's also a the captain of Barcelona this year, a team who have the best defense and attack in the Spanish league at the moment. I'm actually sick to death of people constantly calling Carlos Puyol rubbish, he is a natural leader and on his day is one of the best CB's in the world. He saves the team much much more than he causes them to concede.
    titan18 wrote: »
    If you put Ibrahimovic into the Barcelona side and took Eto'o out, you'd improve it.Putting Eto'o in the Inter side and taking Ibra out, you would not.

I'm not going to argue about Villa as I rate Ibra and himself as the 2 best forwards.

As much as I agree with you on Ibrahimovic's overall game, you're analysis of Eto'o is mistaken. Have you watched him play? He said himself he prefers to put pressure on CB's and tackle then than score goals, Eto'o is a very intelligent forward who may not bring players into the game as well as Ibrahimovic, but if you put Eto'o/ Xavi into this Inter team you can prety much guarantee they'll score an extra 15 goals a season. Whereas Barcelona have enough players that can create goals, Barca need a natural finisher, which is something Ibrahimovic isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Unbeatable in my opinion!!!!

................Lorenzo Buffon

Tasotti ...........Baresi...........Maldini

Trappatoni .....Rijkaard ........Leidholm

.....................Rivera

Altafini ........Van Basten ......Nordhal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

a precursor to the draft thread once it gets finalised, hehe - it's gonna be mental!

iregk wrote: »

Jays all you're missin is Father Romeo Sensini! :pac:

iregk wrote: »

We going all time here?

Kahn

Cafu
    Baresi
    Maldini

Makalele

Zidane
    Guardiola

---Maradonna
    Laudrup
    Rivaldo

Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Casillas

Bosingwa
    Carvalho
    Vidic
    Clichy

Essien

Xavi
    Fabregas

Messi
    Ronaldo

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Mine would be:
    Buffon

-Bosingwa--Vidic
    Carvalho
    Evra-

Essien

Xavi

Ronaldo
    A.Young-

Messi

Torres

Formation is a bit messy I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Buffon

Zambrotta
    Nesta
    Vidic
    Evra

Messi
    Gattuso
    Xavi
    Ronaldo

Torres----Villa

Zambrotta, Nesta and Gattuso in the worlds best 11 - youre having a laugh. they are all well past their prime oh and i wont even get into the Evra thing - great pics ya clueless buffoon

All time-

Lev Yashin

-Cafu
    Cannavaro
    Maldini
    Stuart Pearce--

Roy Keane

-Cryuff
    Maradona
    Zidane
    Best--

Van Basten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

European Goalkeeper, Defender or Midfielder of the year not mentioned yet? Wouldn't have them in my team myself but it is odd that no-one would.

(Ill prob have a team I missed pointed out :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Mine would be:

Cassillas
    Alves---Carvalho
    Vidic---Clichy
    Mascherano

Xavi
    Fabregas

Messi
    Iniesta

Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

All time

Yashin

Carlos Alberto Baresi Beckenbauer Maldini

Keane

Garrincha Zidane Maradona

Pele----Puskas----

This was way too hard to pick.Particularly the midfielders as there are so many, attacking skill players mostly.Cruyff,Hagi,Neeskens,Gerson, way too hard to pick.

titan18 wrote: »
    All time

Yashin

Carlos Alberto Baresi Beckenbauer Maldini

Keane

Garrincha Zidane Maradona

Pele----Puskas----

This was way too hard to pick.Particularly the midfielders as there are so many, attacking skill players mostly.Cruyff,Hagi,Neeskens,Gerson, way too hard to pick.

Good team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Maicon is streets ahead of the likes of Puyol and Brown and how is Del Piero not being considered here. Top scorer in Serie B, top scorer in Serie A and the man is a supporting striker, not a goal grabber. He deserves to be considered at least

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    So you ask a question then answer it straight away yourself? You'd make a shocking quizmaster.

I said I wanted a DEFENSIVE right back and the only reasonable alternative I've been offered is Wes Brown. Can you add another to that?

Rhetorical Question I do believe they call it! Learning a lot today aren't we!! especially about good right backs!

Do you need braille added to you screen?? I've repeatability said Maicon is my choice ahead of Puyol, and yes as in a DEFENSIVE RB. A right back is a right back, they should offer more then defensive ability. Especially the way the game is played today.

Casillas
    Alves Vidic Carvalho
    Messi Ibrahimovic

LOL at people that think Ibrahimovic is no good - he is not the highest paid striker in the world for nothing - the guy is the most natural goalscorer on the planet,
    Zambrotta, Nesta and Gattuso in the worlds best 11 - youre having a laugh. they are all well past their prime oh and i wont even get into the Evra thing - great pics ya clueless buffoon

The most ridiculous statement I have heard about the player. If anyone backs up what you said then let them be known.

Nesta is the best CB in the world. Injured this season. Four times he has been voted the Best Serie A defender. Four time member of UEFA team of the year 2007 most recent. The guy has appeared more times on the UEFA team than any other player except Henry. Two time champions league winner. Gattuso another two time champions league winner is pivotal to AC Milan and has been for years. If I was offered either right now I would take them with open arms.

Anyway to come back to your statement highlighted above, absolute and utter bollox. For all those out there that think I said Ibrahimovic is bad well I have not said so. All I said was that I think he is overrated and that better players are available in the forwards position. His primary job is to score goals and there are better players at doing it than him. As for Rooney I am sure any Man Utd fan could tell you that when he does not play it is true that United dont seem to do as good as opposed to when he is in the team. But that is also true of some other players with different clubs. He was never a 30 goal a season player and never will be but he is a sure bet for 20 goals, teamwork and a winning mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

All time:

Schmeichel

----Krol----McGrath----Scirea---Maldini

Beckenbauer

Socrates
    Zidane

Baggio

Maradona
    Pele

On the bench: Yashin, Baresi, Breitner, Keane, Puskas, Di Stefano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Rhetorical Question I do believe they call it!

Don't know how you propose that a direct open question is rhetorical. Maybe you don't understand the meaning of the word really.
    Do you need braille added to you screen??

What good would braille do on a flat screen.

Realistically in an all time greats team I could easily have included the likes of Di Stefano, Kubala, Puskas, Stoickov, Muller, Romario, Beckenbaur, Pele, Eusebio, Batigol, Basten, and about 50 other players that would all be equally as effective in their positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

eZe^ wrote: »
    Realistically in an all time greats team I could easily have included the likes of Di Stefano, Kubala, Puskas, Stoickov, Muller, Romario, Beckenbaur, Pele, Eusebio, Batigol, Basten, and about 50 other players that would all be equally as effective in their positions.

Yeah, it's sort of pointless, but a a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

Rhetorical Question I do believe they call it! Learning a lot today aren't we!! especially about good right backs!

Lol look up rhetorical. It doesn't relate to open questiobs.
    Do you need braille added to you screen?? I've repeatability said Maicon is my choice ahead of Puyol, and yes as in a DEFENSIVE RB. A right back is a right back, they should offer more then defensive ability. Especially the way the game is played today.

I'd hold back on the insults

Maicon is your choice. Well done. That's not what I asked though is it?

A right back is a right back? So Gary Neville is the same type of player as Alves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Buffon

boswinga
    Vidic
    carvalho
    evra

Ronaldo
    Essien
    Xavi
    Messi

Kaka
    Torres

Lol look up rhetorical. It doesn't relate to open questiobs.

I'd hold back on the insults

Maicon is your choice. Well done. That's not what I asked though is it?

A right back is a right back? So Gary Neville is the same type of player as Alves?

LOL- someone likes being a mod! FFS!!!

It was a question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks! rhetorical or not I made my point- not one person agreed with your choice!

You asked who is an alt to Puyol as a RB. I said Maicon- defensive and offensive simple as! Question answered- BTW my first choice was Alves- if you care to look back!

No- Gary Neveille is ****e, Alves isn't

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

All star can be construed as many things..

Casillas
    Puyol Carvalho Vidic Abidal
    Messi Yaya Toure Xavi Ribery
    Higuain
    Torres

Ibrahimovic :D Natural goalscorer :D
    Cannavaro :eek:

LOL- someone likes being a mod! FFS!!!

Because I informed you that you'd breached the charter? Yep major power trip on my part :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm not dragging this OT. If you've a problem with my modding then feel free to PM me or start a thread in Feedback/Help Desk. I haven't had one of those yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just on Puyol and the reasons why I picked him -

- Defensive minded. If I wanted an attacking full back I'd have Alvez in the team, certainly before Maicon anyway. With Messi and Robinho as my 'wingers' they are going to do zero defending so a full back who can't defend isn't worth a shite.

- Experience. Played for over a decade at the highest level and handles pressure.

- A leader. Not too many captains floating around my team.

So with that in consideration he is, imo, a solid choice at right full.

-

But he's crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cassillas
    Alves---Carvalho
    Vidic---Clichy
    Mascherano

Xavi
    Gerard

Messi
    Iniesta

Torres

Slightly biased but still :)

keane2097 wrote: »
    But he's crap...

In your opinion.....

In your opinion.....

Well of course it's my opinion. I said it didn't I!? Who else's opinion would it be!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In your opinion.....

He isn't good enough to be considered for an All Star XI.. You can argue whatever point you like and persist for as long as you like but it is simply wrong...

The same applies to the Robinho over Ronaldo nonsense...

Well of course it's my opinion. I said it didn't I!? Who else's opinion would it be!?

Once we're ok that it's not a fact, and is most likely further away from the truth given that he captained Spain to the Euro 2008 trophy and is club captain of the team beating all before them in La Liga.

Crap players don't do that.

The same applies to the Robinho over Ronaldo nonsense...

I already said that I picked Robinho because I prefer watching him.

No more biased than your selections which could equally be described as nonsense.

Anyway, can you point me to where it says that it has to be the best team? It's the All Star team you would pick and is therefore completely subjective so any criticism is pointless.

But he's crap...

Puyol is a good CB but an average RB. Simple, discussion over. Xavi gave his reasons and he is entitled to them. No need to keep going on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cassillas
    Alves---Carvalho
    Vidic---Clichy
    Mascherano

Xavi
    Gerard

Messi
    Iniesta

Torres

Slightly biased but still :)

No more biased than your selections which could equally be described as nonsense.

not really the same Xavi.

Torres, Gerrard & Mascherano all could be considered among the top couple of professionals in their position in world football.

Once we're ok that it's not a fact, and is most likely further away from the truth given that he captained Spain to the Euro 2008 trophy and is club captain of the team beating all before them in La Liga.

Crap players don't do that.

Casillas was the captain.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not really the same Xavi.

Torres, Gerrard & Mascherano all could be considered among the top couple of professionals in their position in world football.

And Robinho (the world's most expensive player) isn't one of the best wingers in the game? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Casillas

Alves----Vidic---Carvalho--Evra

Essien

----Fabregas--Xavi

Ronaldo
    Messi-

Torres

Casillas is a MUST imo, back four is solid with vidic and carvalho providing an excellent defensive partnership, both full backs are excellent going forward and Evra is solid defending too although I do realise Alves isn't the best defensively I think having the complete monster of Essien in DM makes up for this, this man is the engine of the team, he will cover every blade of grass and can also pass a football.
    Then you have the two passing masters in midfield with Fabregas and Xavi with the potential for some goals too :)
    Wingers, Messi and Ronaldo? Enough said there tbh.
    Debated between Etoo and Torres, but went with Torres as I love to watch this lad play football even as a United supporter, you just can't argue the boy oozes class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Ronaldo has to be in an All Star XI. Your team appears to be based on players you fancy rather than their football skills!

Puyol is a good CB but an average RB. Simple, discussion over. Xavi gave his reasons and he is entitled to them. No need to keep going on about it.

I'll do as I please thank you. Backseat modding can lick my balls.

Casillas was the captain.

My apologies.

Just one final thing on Puyol -

Individual

* UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2005, 2006
    * UEFA Club Best Defender: 2006
    * FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008
    * UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament

Hardly the hallmarks of a 'crap' player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement