Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could assemble an All Star XI........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Loco wrote: »
    Ronaldo has to be in an All Star XI. Your team appears to be based on players you fancy rather than their football skills!

Again, read the OP. I said YOUR All Star team. Not the team of the best players in the world.

I like Robinho. I like Xavi. I like Essien. I like Vidic. I like Carvalho. Hence them going in MY team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    And Robinho (the world's most expensive player) isn't one of the best wingers in the game? :confused:

price tag does not automatically make someone the best in the world.

without argument, Robinho is not the best winger in the world. There is two outstanding canditates head & shoulders above him, everyone and their mother knows it.

you refering to someones selection as nonsense while at the same time having such a silly choice in yours is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I already said that I picked Robinho because I prefer watching him.

No more biased than your selections which could equally be described as nonsense.

Anyway, can you point me to where it says that it has to be the best team? It's the All Star team you would pick and is therefore completely subjective so any criticism is pointless.

Well, I admitted that mine was slightly biased but the Liverpool players I choose are still in the top 3 in their position in world and have regularly been discussed as being the best in their position in the world. So, at least the biased choices that I made are actually plausible whereas the ones you choose and argued are bordering on preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Loco wrote: »
    Ronaldo has to be in an All Star XI. Your team appears to be based on players you fancy rather than their football skills!

Is it not about creating the best 'team' though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My apologies.

Just one final thing on Puyol -

Individual

* UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2005, 2006
    * UEFA Club Best Defender: 2006
    * FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008
    * UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament

Hardly the hallmarks of a 'crap' player.

Can I just point out that my terse response to your long, well constructed argument in Puyol's favor was a joke...

He's a good centre-back, but not world class at right back imo for the record.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    price tag does not automatically make someone the best in the world.

without argument, Robinho is not the best winger in the world. There is two outstanding canditates head & shoulders above him, everyone and their mother knows it.

you refering to someones selection as nonsense while at the same time having such a silly choice in yours is crazy.

How is picking Mascherano instead of Essien any better/worse than picking Robinho instead of Ronaldo?

You're another one who needs to read the OP. It wasn't intended to be the best team, but the team you would like to see. There's a difference.

Is it not about creating the best 'team' though?

I would automatically assume that an All Star XI means selecting some of the best players in their position in the world and then putting them into one team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Smegball wrote: »

Casillas

Alves----Vidic---Carvalho--Evra

Essien

----Fabregas--Xavi

Ronaldo
    Messi-

Torres

Switch Carvalho for Ferdinand and that's exactly my team. Maybe it's a little Man Utd bias, but I think Ferdinand & Vidic just about shade it over Carvalho and Terry.

Gomes
    Arbeloa--Carragher-Skrtel-Agger--
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

considering that this thread obviously isnt about wat it was i thought it was and is actually about the players people enjoy to watch most, i went with my prefered Liverpool line-up with Gomes in goal for extra comedy value.

How is picking Mascherano instead of Essien any better/worse than picking Robinho instead of Ronaldo?

You're another one who needs to read the OP. It wasn't intended to be the best team, but the team you would like to see. There's a difference.

While I actually do rate Essien as being one of the best players in the world, he has been out of action for months now and I am still not sure what his best position is. One thing I am certain of though is that he is not a defensive midfielder. I also rate him as a better player than Mascherano.

I am also pretty sure that there is better out and out defensive midfielders out there, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

One thing I would can be certain off though, if you added Mascherano to the likes of Arsenal or Real, both teams would be dramatically improved.

• Advertisement

Essien has been injured for wat seems like an eternity and played a good chunk of time at RB & other positions last year, i wouldnt pick him until i saw him play in his position for a season or two consistantly, which he hasnt done in a couple of years.

animal player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gomes
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

considering that this thread obviously isnt about wat it was i thought it was and is actually about the players people enjoy to watch most, i went with my prefered Liverpool line-up with Gomes in goal for extra comedy value.

So watching Liverpool is comedic??? :D

Gomes
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

Nice one.

I've made a note that subjective threads are a bad idea. Won't be startin another one.

jasonorr wrote: »
    So watching Liverpool is comedic??? :D

occassionally :) coming from a gooner, thats a little rich though ;)

Casillas

Brown----Vidic---Carvalho----Evra

Essien

----Fabregas
    Iniesta----

Ronaldo
    Messi

Torres

There's probably a shout for swapping Essien and Iniesta, letting Essien be more of the box to box man he is with Ghana than the sitting midfielder he is with Chelsea...

Possibly throw Kaka (for Ronaldo or Iniesta) in there instead as well... I think Iniesta is the business though....

Gomes
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

No Dirk Kuyt!? :eek::eek::eek:

**** that, throw Kuyt in goals instead of Gomes so!

occassionally :) coming from a gooner, thats a little rich though ;)

I was just asking you to clarify what you had said, I made no comment on the matter!

Watching Arsenal is far from funny these days though! If we beat ye on Sunday I can enjoy my Christmas, even when we are guaranteed to drop points elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Leaving aside all bias :)

Casillas
    Sagna
    Ferdinand
    Carvalho
    Evra
    Xavi
    Essien

Messi
    Kaka
    Ronaldo-
    Eto

Unsurprisingly, I have an English bias in defence. But thats because IMO the best defences are all English teams. Personally, I really can't see how people would disagree with the back 4.

Up front though, a range of possibilities. The way I figure it, that attack is pretty outstanding. In any league, Ronaldo and Eto will score enough goals to cover any loss of form by Kaka and Messi as happens. Messi and Kaka are big game players and will cover any loss of form from Ronaldo and Eto in big games.

Leaving out Ronaldo is like leaving out Messi, its just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Gomes
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

No Gareth Barry:D

PHB wrote: »
    Sagna
    Ferdinand
    Carvalho
    Evra

I really can't see how people would disagree with the back 4.

I think Vidic is a far better player than Ferdinand to be honest and being biased I'd have Clichy in there too, but there isn't much between him and Evra!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

My interpretation of the thread was- best XI of 08! As we are entering the last week of 08 it would be appropriate,

Does anyone else think Senna is worth a shout for DM- many peoples player of the Euros- Villareal runners up in la liga, not forgetting that goal he scored from the half way line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

All time
    Schmeichel

Maldini
    Roberto Carlos

Baresi
    McGrath

Beckenbauer

Guillit

Cryuff
    Platini

Maradonna

Pele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

How could I forget Cryuff.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My all-time XI would be:

Zoff

Alberto Torres
    Baresi
    Beckenbauer
    Maldini

Keane

Best
    Jairzinho

Zidane

Pele
    Müller

That attacking quintet would be a nightmare for any defence. The back four and Zoff nearly impregnable on their day and Keane (Captain) well he is just class fullstop and a natural born leader of men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How such a non confrontational thread has caused so much intense arguing is crazy.
    Everyone is entitled to have a preference.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How such a non confrontational thread has caused so much intense arguing is crazy.
    Everyone is entitled to have a preference.
    The next time some asshole says to you, ‘I have a right to my opinion,’ you say ‘Oh yeah, well I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is you have no right to your opinion.”

imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Gomes
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

oh you.

mine is:
    Casillas
    Alves
    Ferdinand
    Carvalho
    Evra
    Essien

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Messi-
    Eto
    Ibrahimovic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a few people have picked a ferdinand/carvahlo cb pairing, im not so sure about that. they are both the same type of CB and i think you would have to pick one or the other and partner them with the warrior type cb a Terry, Vidic or Laursen type.

edit: apart from that i think mine would be very similar to Jazzy's team although im not 100% about ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

casillas
    ramos
    ferdinand
    carvaliho
    clichy
    ronaldo
    gerrard
    kaka
    messi
    torres
    drogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

redout wrote: »
    The most ridiculous statement I have heard about the player. If anyone backs up what you said then let them be known.

Nesta is the best CB in the world. Injured this season. Four times he has been voted the Best Serie A defender. Four time member of UEFA team of the year 2007 most recent. The guy has appeared more times on the UEFA team than any other player except Henry. Two time champions league winner. Gattuso another two time champions league winner is pivotal to AC Milan and has been for years. If I was offered either right now I would take them with open arms.

Anyway to come back to your statement highlighted above, absolute and utter bollox. For all those out there that think I said Ibrahimovic is bad well I have not said so. All I said was that I think he is overrated and that better players are available in the forwards position. His primary job is to score goals and there are better players at doing it than him. As for Rooney I am sure any Man Utd fan could tell you that when he does not play it is true that United dont seem to do as good as opposed to when he is in the team. But that is also true of some other players with different clubs. He was never a 30 goal a season player and never will be but he is a sure bet for 20 goals, teamwork and a winning mentality.

You sir, are a moron - Ibrahimovic is the best linking striker in the world, over the past 2 years he averages an assist in every second game he played, has always been at the top of the goalscoring charts no matter where he played - be it Holland and now Italy and to say Rooney is a better player well it is now so blindingly obvious that you are talking through your hole.

Fact - players playing in the Premiership will always outscore players in Serie A - simply because there are so many teams in England that cannot defend. And to say Rooney is a surebet for 20 goals every year just enhances that you talk absolute crap, the guy has only got 4 goals so far this season, got 12 last season and 14 the season before that. Ask anyone that knows about soccer who is the better player and they will tell you Ibrahimovic every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Warper wrote: »
    You sir, are a moron - Ibrahimovic is the best linking striker in the world, over the past 2 years he averages an assist in every second game he played, has always been at the top of the goalscoring charts no matter where he played - be it Holland and now Italy and to say Rooney is a better player well it is now so blindingly obvious that you are talking through your hole.

Fact - players playing in the Premiership will always outscore players in Serie A - simply because there are so many teams in England that cannot defend. And to say Rooney is a surebet for 20 goals every year just enhances that you talk absolute crap, the guy has only got 4 goals so far this season, got 12 last season and 14 the season before that. Ask anyone that knows about soccer who is the better player and they will tell you Ibrahimovic every time.

Thank you. Bar the outscoring bit (Totti and Toni have disproved that in the past) pretty much everything you've said there is true. Del Piero's 21 goals in Serie A with a strike partner who got 20 is more impressive than Torres' 24 goals as a lone striker. How is he not being considered?????:confused::confused::confused:

Where did I ever say that Rooney was better than Ibrahimovic ? Please look back and quote me I dare you. Oh wait, you cant . Why ? because I never said it. I was writing about Rooney to respond to what eze said about him being important to United.

Now onto facts. Rooney has seven goals this season, nine if you count the two he scored today. He scored 18 last season, 23 the season before and 19 the season before that. Sounds pretty much like I said. I presume you are quoting league goals only which I dont understand. Why omit champions league and FA cup goals, are these not competitive games in your eye's ?

Now onto your quote about Ibrahimovic being top of the goalscoring charts no matter where he played, again utter bollox. He has never been top scorer in Serie A, the dutch league or the swedish league. As for me being a moron then I dont now what that makes you because your post seems to be made up. I said Rooney is good for 20 goals a season which is correct. I dont know why it is that you have made all this stuff up. Maybe it is to make yourself feel better but as I said it is all lies and there to see for anybody if they bother to check.

Dutch Top Scorer
    01-02 van hooijdonk
    02-03 kezman
    03-04 kezman

Serie A Top scorer
    04-05 lucarelli
    05-06 toni
    06-07 totti
    07-08 del piero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Present time for me would be mucho attacking line up as follows, thats why its a close call between Lahm and Evra.

Casillas
    Ramos
    Nesta
    Vidic
    Lahm or Evra(close call)
    Ronaldo
    Xavi
    messi
    ---Kaka
    Rooney

Henry

My all time, or should I say what I've seen in my lifetime would be as follows

Dasayev

Thuram
    McGrath
    Baresi
    Maldini

Matthaus

Platini
    Zidane
    Ronaldinho

Maradona
    Van Basten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eZe^ wrote: »
    Carlos Puyol was also a part of the Spainish defense in the Euro's that conceded three goals in the whole competition and believe or not, went on to win the tournament.

I watched all the Spanish games and I can honestly say if it was not for the player of the tournament Senna being a brick wall in front of the defense you would not be using the words Spain and Win in the same sentance.
    eZe^ wrote: »
    he is a natural leader and on his day is one of the best CB's in the world.

I agree those days are few and far between thou.

Boggles wrote: »

I agree those days are few and far between thou.

Shakespeare ?:)

redout wrote: »
    Shakespeare ?:)

Yes, I try sneak a bit a shakespeare into my posts from time to time, fair play to you for spoting it.

Fact - players playing in the Premiership will always outscore players in Serie A - simply because there are so many teams in England that cannot defend.

Goals Conceded

Serie A

2007-2008 - 970
    2006-2007 - 969
    2005-2006 - 991

Prem League

2007-2008 - 1002 (Thank you Derby County)
    2006-2007 - 931
    2005-2006 - 966

Just because you say "FACT", doesn't mean it's true. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

mine is
    ............................casillas.........................

alvez..........carvalho..........vidic..........clichy

........................mascharano......................
    .............................xavi............................

...................gerrard.........kaka...................

messi.............................................ronaldo

............................torres...........................

RB was defo the hardest position!

I wonder who will be 1st to point out I have 12 players

Yeah but I think you'll be fine with the extra man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

haha you guys are hilarious. i posted the second team in this thread after xavi..and was ripped into fro putting in masch carragher boswinga and gerrard and then had to read some of the nonsense teams other people put in..one of the problems with this thread is that clearly stupid people can shout just as loud as everyone else and more informed people end up getting into arguments with them..

ill say no more on my team except that i would be willing to put up my team against anybody elses no problem...the day this happens is the day ill be proven wrong..otherwise its all just opinions im afraid. who knows how ronnie would play alongside ten random players?? this thread was meant to be bes tteam i thought not just best 11 players thrown loosely into some kinda formation..

fwiw xavi or whatever your name is now...i agree with you about puyol. class CB for the last ten years. for people to come on here and say he is crap is laughable, plain and simple. i know you have him as a right back but he would do well here in your tem imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

redzerdrog wrote: »
    mine is
    ............................casillas.........................

alvez..........carvalho..........vidic..........clichy

........................mascharano......................
    .............................xavi............................

...................gerrard.........kaka...................

messi.............................................ronaldo

............................torres...........................

RB was defo the hardest position!

I wonder who will be 1st to point out I have 12 players

hahahahahahaha...if RB was so hard why didnt you just leave in out in favour of having the same number of players as everyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Buffon

Carragher
    Terry
    Ferdinand

---Daniel Alves
    Lahm----

Xavi
    Gattusso

Gerrard

Torres
    David Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Carragher better the Vidic/ Carvalho/ not even close, I'd even have Laurson in ahead of Carragher. I've said for a while he's a liability sure he gives 100% but that doesn't make up for all his mistakes, he's constantly out of position and is made to look good by his last ditch tackling, a good CB is one that is in position and is hardly noticed, certainly not Carragher- I have plenty of Pool mates that are starting to agree with me. Agger nd Skertel are a better pair.

Wouldn't have Gattuso near my team either, Milan are team struggling for form- UEFA cup says it all, you have Mascherano, Senna, Essien, and plenty more better players to play in that position.

Surprised Paul McShane hasn't got a shout in at RB!! Prolific, what a header!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

fcukin ell this thread has grown since yesterday

heres my attempt

Buffon

Alves Carvahlo Cannavaro Evra

Messi Xavi Lampard Ronaldo

Torres Villa

mormank wrote: »
    haha you guys are hilarious. i posted the second team in this thread after xavi..and was ripped into fro putting in masch carragher boswinga and gerrard and then had to read some of the nonsense teams other people put in..one of the problems with this thread is that clearly stupid people can shout just as loud as everyone else and more informed people end up getting into arguments with them..

ill say no more on my team except that i would be willing to put up my team against anybody elses no problem...the day this happens is the day ill be proven wrong..otherwise its all just opinions im afraid. who knows how ronnie would play alongside ten random players?? this thread was meant to be bes tteam i thought not just best 11 players thrown loosely into some kinda formation..

fwiw xavi or whatever your name is now...i agree with you about puyol. class CB for the last ten years. for people to come on here and say he is crap is laughable, plain and simple. i know you have him as a right back but he would do well here in your tem imo..

Which is great, since it has already been explained it was meant as a joke...

Try to relax about it - it's supposed to be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Casillas

--Sagna----Vidic---Carvalho--Clichy

Essien

Fabregas
    Xavi

---Messi
    Ronaldo---

Torres

If people are looking for a solid right back i dont see why they wouldn't go with Sagna. Great defender, even if he doesn't possess the same kind of attacking threat as Alves or Ramos. Reckon Messi and Ronaldo would make up for that anyway:p

Vidic/Ferdinand, Clichy/Evra, Torres/Villa were the main real toss ups for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

................Casillas

Alves...Nesta...Carvahlo...Evra

..........Xavi.....Essien.............

Ronaldo......Kaka......Messi

................Eto'o

Subs: Buffon, Lahm, Vidic, Fabergas, A.Young, Drogba, Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

................Casillas

Alves...Nesta...Carvahlo...Evra

..........Xavi.....Essien.............

Ronaldo......Kaka......Messi

................Eto'o

Subs: Buffon, Lahm, Vidic, Fabergas, A.Young, Drogba, Torres
    nice line up

imagine eto'o was up for sale last summer

top scorer in the la-liga with 15 this season

cant believe no was interested
    love if utd got him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

.......who would be in it?

It's the second last work day of the year and I'm bored off my tits so thought this might pass an hour or so. As it turned out I had a team picked in about 5 minutes. Leaving aside all bias etc I've gone for -

Casillas

Puyol
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Evra

Essien

Xavi
    Kaka

Messi
    Robinho

Torres

That team with RVN up front, enough goals and play from midfield as is need someone to hold the ball up and score the ugly goals.

Advertisement