Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halting Site Proposed for Ballymoneen Road

Options
  • 18-12-2008 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Friends of ours live off the Clybaun Road got a letter from the local residents committee that there is going to be a Halting site for "Members of the Travelling Community" built on the Ballymoneen Road. It is intended to hold about 200+. It will be 8 acres and it is planned to be the biggest halting site in Ireland...

Thats the end of law and order in Knocknacarra for definate if these "undesirables" are put there... It will be a no-go area.... Crime will escalate and there is absolutely nothing that any of us law abiding citizens will be able to do about them.

The council have a meeting in the new year to push this through.

I am f**kin' ragin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I live off the Clybaun in Knocknacarra.
    Can't say I'm worried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sell ya some gates boss. A man can never have enough gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It defines Knocknacarra pretty well, a halting site would be the icing on the cake. By that I mean: Lob up as many houses as ya can, squeeze in as many people as ya can and build fcukall local resources for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Travellers have to live somewhere. Why not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I live a few doors down from the halting site in Lower Salthill and you'd hardly know they are there. "No-go area", way to be a drama queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thats the end of law and order in Knocknacarra for definate if these "undesirables" are put there... It will be a no-go area.... Crime will escalate and there is absolutely nothing that any of us law abiding citizens will be able to do about them.

Why did you put "undesirables" in quotes? Who are you quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There are plenty of halting sites around and the only one that looks bad is in Dougishka and Carrabrowne. The rest are well kept. It really depends which family of travellers are moved in to it.

I reckon Knocknacarra will have a halting site before the end of 2009.

Q for the OP:
    How long are you waiting on a Community Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

VanhireBoys is such an apt OP for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A classic thread in the making :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Did it ever occur to you that the Travellers might not like living next to you?
    I know I wouldn't :mad:
    Happy Christmas :)
    Friends of ours live off the Clybaun Road got a letter from the local residents committee that there is going to be a Halting site for "Members of the Travelling Community" built on the Ballymoneen Road. It is intended to hold about 200+. It will be 8 acres and it is planned to be the biggest halting site in Ireland...

The council have a meeting in the new year to push this through.

I am f**kin' ragin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

on a side note.

i walked past the site in lower salthill awhile back and there was at least 30 bags of rubbish piled up outside waiting for collection, Why are travellers exempt from recycling?
    Where in there "culture" does it say they can't recycle like everyone else?

imo the travelling community offer nothing to the rest of society, now im not saying they should go and jump but if they want something they need to be prepared to give something in return. The truth is they don't offer anything.
    and if the statement annoys any of the p.c brigade then answer me this.

What has the travelling comunity ever given to society? what have they contributed? where is this culture they constantly whinge about?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

skelliser wrote: »
    What has the travelling comunity ever given to society? what have they contributed?

Olympic medals??

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

sgthighway wrote:
    the only one that looks bad is in Dougishka

I live in the estate across the road from it and have to say never any trouble from them.

on a side note.

i walked past the site in lower salthill awhile back and there was at least 30 bags of rubbish piled up outside waiting for collection, Why are travellers exempt from recycling?

How do you know it was recyclable material? Did you check?

What has the travelling comunity ever given to society? what have they contributed? where is this culture they constantly whinge about?

For years Travellers provided a recycling service to settled people, travelling musicans provided entertainment, some of the best storytellers were Travellers.

More to the point. What do you contribute to society?

Back to the OP, the halting site won't go through anyway so I wouldn't worry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tawny wrote: »

Taxes? :P

(in the interest of equality in my fence sitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I live in the estate across the road from it and have to say never any trouble from them.

Agreed that they don't cause trouble. Its just looks bad because it us very untidy and they leave a lot of stuff on the roadside whereas other halting sites are hardly noticable because they are kept so clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Tawny wrote: »

For years Travellers provided a recycling service to settled people, travelling musicans provided entertainment, some of the best storytellers were Travellers.

well the dogs where at the bags and a few were thorn and spilt, the contents were plastic, food etc. I didnt notice any green, brown or grey bins. I must say tho that i know people that live near it and they've never had problems with them.

And by "recycling service" you mean you pay them a few bob to dispose of unwanted stuff, ie they dump it, where? who knows?

As regard the entertainment and storytelling, thats from back about 40 or more years when they actually travelled the roads! in horse drawn carts etc.

i work and pay my taxes! do the vast majority of travellers pay taxes or work? i think not.
    if they sort themselves out ie. work and pay taxes then iv no problem with them

And im sorry to hijack this thread, just ranting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And im sorry to hijack this thread, just ranting!

It is quite possibe that the bags were dumped by members of the settled community who are too mean to pay their waste charges.

In fact I used to live beside one such person and saw him interfering with my bin one night so we thunderflashed him :D in the alleyway :D and he only lives in Fr Griffin Road some 200m away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

I also live in the area and recieved the document through the door. the main jist of it was that it was a contridiction of a previous study undertaken in 2007 which designated the land for "sustainable residential developmentm with a mix of house types which foster an inclusive and safe neighbourhood concept."
    I think the problem is with the council; they don't seem to know what they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭techdiver

Question: Do travellers have to pay for the halting site?

If not where does the money come form and why should they be given a free ride just because they're a so called "minority"?

• Advertisement

Travellers pay rent when on city owned halting sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Well we did get a very good compressor and a diesel generator (same as Honda boss:confused:) off them 2 years ago and they havent given any trouble... YET...! :D

And no they would not like to be living next door to me... I have constant stream of noisey visitors, I fight with my wife on the street, we have 8 dogs who bark only when its dark, I p**s in the neighbours garden, I have scrap cars all on the street, I dont pay taxes and Im on first name terms with the local Gardai who cant touch me because I'm a member of an ethnic minority and this is seen as harassment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the_itinerant_exorcist.jpg

Thanks and goodnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement