Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner

Options
  • 18-12-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

What are you all going to have?? i usually get all the trimmings minus the ham and turkey. usually end up just having a veggie burger or something instead of the meat...mightnt sound very christmassy but i dont mind it one bit!

Or does any one know where i can get a really nice tasty turkey and ham alternative for christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I'm not sure what I'll be having for Christmas dinner. I'm not incredibly festive, and for a change we'll be having no family over, so it'll be a quiet day...

A vegetable lasagne would be a treat for me, especially if I make some mince pies to go with it!

I suppose nutroast is the turkey/ham alternative ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well there is that fake turkey/fake sausage wrapped in fake bacon alternative I'm having!
    Got it in a health food shop in dublin. I like nut roasts too, and stuffed mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Probably the RealEat roast with the stuffing in the middle if I can find it! I'll make a nut roast if not. Roast spuds and the usual veg. And loads of bread sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Well there is that fake turkey/fake sausage wrapped in fake bacon alternative I'm having!
    Got it in a health food shop in dublin. I like nut roasts too, and stuffed mushrooms.

ooh sounds kinda good....where did you buy that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

I usually have everything except the meat! Roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, turnip.. mmmmmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Will be having the nut roast off the vegan society website as I made it the other day for a dinner and it was dead easy to make so that and all the usual gubbins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Probably the RealEat roast with the stuffing in the middle if I can find it!
    That one plus the Quorn one plus Granois sausage meat stuffing along with roast spuds, parsnips and maybe sweet potato. Mashed spuds and peas and sprouts baked in individual oval ramekins in cream & realeat rashers (chopped) topped with breadcrumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Just a quick question. I will be having a salad seeing as I'm in Australia and a BBQ or picnic is the done thing here. Just wondering what everyone else was up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I've got some of the Linda McCartney Kievs in the freezer. Aside from that, I may procure some Vegetarian gravy for my relatively indifferent Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

last two posts moved into thread already open about Christmas dinner.

I've been thinking about Christmas Dinner - perhaps some mighty roast spuds and carrot with gravy shall be my feast. And I'm contemplating some vegan stuffing too... Breadcrumbs, onion, courgette, veggie bacon with oil all mixed into a little dish perhaps :) I'd do nut roast if it wasn't just me eating.

Frig it! I still have no idea what I'm going to eat.

Roast potaroes, roast veg, gravy, stuffed mushrooms, stuffing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Roast potatoes, veg and more veg, bread sauce, stuffing done on a tray so it's super crispy but it's drizzled with herb oil and melted butter so still moist ::drools:: usually save my appetite for dessert! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Mmmmm...
    I had all the nnnnyummy trimmings (And about 10million brussel sprouts)
    (Cranberry sauce overload ftw)
    I was going to make a tofu turkey.. but that seemd like a lot of effort. My mother made me.. onion.. thingies.
    And for the first time since I turned veggie (Only about 4 years ago at this stage...) I had veggie gravy.

bythewoods wrote: »
    And for the first time since I turned veggie (Only about 4 years ago at this stage...) I had veggie gravy.

You poor thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bisto gravy is vegetarian in case some people aren't aware of it.

Frig it! I wish I knew that yesterday Kraggy.
    I tried vegidelis turkey style roast with wild rice and cranberry stuffing.
    It was yyuurrgghhhhh. The texture was too meat like. A bit of bisto might have covered it up a bit.

I had beetroot and pomengrante soup for starters.
    Cheesy nutty leek and mushroom filo parcel with apple sauce for main, roast winter veg, roast spuds and lemon butter greens.

Christmas disaster averted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I tried vegidelis turkey style roast with wild rice and cranberry stuffing.
    It was yyuurrgghhhhh. The texture was too meat like.

I still have one of those in the fridge. We tried the 'beef' version before and it was ok but the stuffing was yyuurrgghhhhh, I'd bought it before realising it had that stuffing too. I suspect it'll be eaten (or picked at) on New Years day.

Advertisement