Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Connect to the Internet

Options
  • 18-12-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been having this problem for a while now on my old computer but I was still able to connect using my gaming pc so I wasn't worried. Problem now is that the m/b on the gaming comp is gone so I have no choice but to try and fix this.

So to the actual problem: Whenever I try to connect to the Internet I get the usual page of no network found. Up until recently I had Windows XP SP1 installed on this pc so I am using IE6. Before I upgraded to SP2, if I disabled my Avast AntiVirus, I was able to connect to the internet. I suspected that this was something to do with an SP1/SP2 conflict with the AntiVirus, hence the upgrade. Since the upgrade though, I am not able to connect to the internet even if I turn off Avast.

On my router all the relevant lights are on (Power, Ethernet, DSL and Internet). I can ping my routers homepage, but I cant access it through IE. I have tried ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, dnsflush but none of these solve the problem. ipconfig /all brings up all the correct information. I cna also connect to the internet using a laptop I borrowed from work so this furthers my frustration!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

have you tried different browsers?

can you ping google?

what's the format of the ip you see when you do ipconfig /all? 192.168.x.x, 169.254.x.x, 10.x.x.x or what?

might IE be set to work offline?

do you have a firewall installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    have you tried different browsers?

can you ping google?

what's the format of the ip you see when you do ipconfig /all? 192.168.x.x, 169.254.x.x, 10.x.x.x or what?

might IE be set to work offline?

do you have a firewall installed?

I have tried Firefox and Opera as well but with the same results.

I haven't tried to ping google.

When I do the ipconfig /all, the ip address comes up as 192.168.xx.xx.

I thought that IE might be set to work offline but I don't think it is. But even if it was, this surely wouldn't effect the other two browsers?

Cheers

farna_boy wrote: »
    I have tried Firefox and Opera as well but with the same results.

I haven't tried to ping google.

When I do the ipconfig /all, the ip address comes up as 192.168.xx.xx.

I thought that IE might be set to work offline but I don't think it is. But even if it was, this surely wouldn't effect the other two browsers?

Cheers

no IE being offline wouldn't affect other browsers so that's not the problem.

can you connect if you start in safe mode with networking?

have you tried disabling windows firewall or do you know how to?

can an ftp client connect or any program that doesn't use port 80? maybe a torrent program?

Yeah disabled Windows firewall and I don't have any other firewall installed at the moment and it still didn't work.
    I'm using uTorrent on port 80 and that doesn't connect either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Have you a light at the back of your machine on the Ethernet card, could be the card is busted if its an old machine. Is it connecting through a netowrk or router or directly into your internet connection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

try ping some websites first before you do anything

Axwell wrote: »
    Have you a light at the back of your machine on the Ethernet card, could be the card is busted if its an old machine. Is it connecting through a netowrk or router or directly into your internet connection?

he says he can ping his router so i don't think it's a faulty card
    Yeah disabled Windows firewall and I don't have any other firewall installed at the moment and it still didn't work.
    I'm using uTorrent on port 80 and that doesn't connect either.

could you try changing utorrent to a different port? or get a program that uses a different port by default like an ftp program?

edit: how about this question:
    can you connect if you start in safe mode with networking?

it's quite important. do you know how to do it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can you actually connect to the router itself? Ie http://192.168.x.x (whatever the appropriate nos are)

Hi all,

so I took all your suggestions and tried them last night.

So it turns out that I can ping google but it takes an average of 50ms.

I can't get onto the routers own homepage either using its usual address (although I can on the laptop).

I also tried changing the TCP/IP address from auto to defined, as I already had the necessary fields from making a static ip address from uTorrent, but this didn't make any difference either.

I can connect to the internet using safe mode with networking. Once I found this out I went back to normal mode, ran msconfig and disabled all the startup items. I couldn't disable two of these though, which were nVidia drivers and the avast service, but I still couldn't connect to the internet.
    I also tried using TweakXP at this stage, disabling all the startup programs that were safe to do so, but I still can't connect.

I think the next step may be using regedit but I can't remember where to find startup in this. Does anyone know how to do this or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

DON'T open regedit. You could seriously mess things up.

1. You say that another computer is ok but your old desktop isn't? If that's the case, this is not a broadband issue and you are in the wrong forum. You may get better help in the windows forum but seeing as you are here...

2. What make and model router is it [not really relevant at the mo, but maybe later]?

3. Who is your ISP [again, not really relevant at the mo, but maybe later]?

4. Your desktop works in safe mode but not in normal mode. Maybe running HijackThis . In Normal mode, NOT Safe Mode, run the HijackThis scan and post the results here. It will tell us what processes are running on your PC.

5. Assuming point 1 is correct, it's a configuration issue on your desktop. Some software is blocking internet access. Point 4 above will help resolve the issue. Maybe it's an old 3rd party firewall mis behaving.

6. Drastic step but format and re-install windows. This WILL get things working but may take a couple of hours to re-install all the needed software.

Let us know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

have you checked ypur pc for virus/spyware

IrishTLR wrote: »
    DON'T open regedit. You could seriously mess things up.

1. You say that another computer is ok but your old desktop isn't? If that's the case, this is not a broadband issue and you are in the wrong forum. You may get better help in the windows forum but seeing as you are here...

2. What make and model router is it [not really relevant at the mo, but maybe later]?

3. Who is your ISP [again, not really relevant at the mo, but maybe later]?

4. Your desktop works in safe mode but not in normal mode. Maybe running HijackThis . In Normal mode, NOT Safe Mode, run the HijackThis scan and post the results here. It will tell us what processes are running on your PC.

5. Assuming point 1 is correct, it's a configuration issue on your desktop. Some software is blocking internet access. Point 4 above will help resolve the issue. Maybe it's an old 3rd party firewall mis behaving.

6. Drastic step but format and re-install windows. This WILL get things working but may take a couple of hours to re-install all the needed software.

Let us know...

No, my desktop is fine, I'm not sure where you got that from but tbh feeling a little groggy today so probably my fault :)

My ISP is eircom and its the 2247 NWG Eir router. Again, I don't think this is the problem since I can connect to the internet via my work laptop and when I enable networking in safe mode.

Because the internet works in safe mode, I am thinking that it may be one of the startup programs is the problem, that is why I used msconfig to disable all the startup items and my question about using regedit.

I tried to run avast, but I got an error saying that it couldn't load a skin (IIRC) but spybot works fine and didn't come back with any problems.

I will try hijack this later, but I am in work now so can't really do anything.

Cheers!

No, my desktop is fine, I'm not sure where you got that from but tbh feeling a little groggy today so probably my fault :)

My terminology might have been a bit off. When I said your old desktop wasn't ok, I meant cannot connect to internet in normal startup mode.

I can relate to groggy. Came down with man flu yesterday :). Hope my g/f can look after me, proper like. Might have to call ambulance tomorrow if my nose doesn't dry up....

Ok so after even more testing this weekend I still cant connect. I ran avast last night and it found a few trojans, howlong they have been there or what damage they may have caused I do not know, but they may be the source of all this grief.

I also ran hijack this and the following is the results from it.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 12:43:42, on 21/12/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie9.hpwis.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-ie9.hpwis.com/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ie/ig?hl=en
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-ie9.hpwis.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie9.hpwis.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.google.ie/
    O1 - Hosts: ¡¡¡¡ 127.0.0.1 q4master.idsoftware.com #block q4server
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\3.0.1225.9868\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\program files\hewlett-packard\digital imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: mod_sm.lnk = C:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15031/CTSUEng.cab
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {62789780-B744-11D0-986B-00609731A21D} (Autodesk MapGuide ActiveX Control) - http://213.94.218.86/planningenquiryv3/MapControl/Download/mgaxctrl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1229558696000
    O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/sysreqlab2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {AE9DCB17-F804-11D2-A44A-0020182C1446} (IntraLaunch.MainControl) - file://E:\SuperCD\IntraLaunch.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15033/CTPID.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B739E57E-547A-42DD-8ACA-794B9E0E1790}: NameServer = 213.94.190.194,213.94.190.236
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~4\GOEC62~1.DLL
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 6443 bytes

Can anyone see any problems with the above? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I ran avast last night and it found a few trojans, howlong they have been there or what damage they may have caused I do not know, but they may be the source of all this grief
    Not to be smart but did you have any security on your pc before avast? If you found a few trojans it would suggest your pc was very infected.

But i have read that some av will pick up malware missed by others which sometimes makes me wonder how clean mine is with several security apps and all clean

It might be an idea to go to an online scan like norton. i say norton cos that is the only one i have done. guess they all do it. you will need to allow an activex to download to your pc. maybe try a couple of different onlin scans. Good luck let us know how you get on

Is it the free avast? have read it is very good

Not to be smart but did you have any security on your pc before avast? If you found a few trojans it would suggest your pc was very infected.

But i have read that some av will pick up malware missed by others which sometimes makes me wonder how clean mine is with several security apps and all clean

It might be an idea to go to an online scan like norton. i say norton cos that is the only one i have done. guess they all do it. you will need to allow an activex to download to your pc. maybe try a couple of different onlin scans. Good luck let us know how you get on

Is it the free avast? have read it is very good

I had some anti virus on the pc before (I think it was AVG or it may have been Avast I'm not sure) so it came as a bit of a surprise to me. Unfortunately I can't do an online scan at the moment though since I can't get on to the internet...

. Unfortunately I can't do an online scan at the moment though since I can't get on to the internet...
    sorry understood that the avast that found the trojans cleaned your pc

Unfortunately not. Since I last posted I have now also installed and ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and although a few things showed up, there were no more trojans or any major problems but I still can't connect to the internet.
    At a last gasp attempt I ran Eircoms Self help test and it said:
    "Your modem is not receiving a DSL signal."

When I click on more it says:
    "The DSL connection from the gateway to the eircom network is down. The gateway does not see a signal from the DSLAM or is attempting to train the DSLAM"

Any ideas?

Btw, I can still connect via the laptop and when I start the pc in safe mode with networking.

At a last gasp attempt I ran Eircoms Self help test and it said:
    "Your modem is not receiving a DSL signal."

When I click on more it says:
    "The DSL connection from the gateway to the eircom network is down. The gateway does not see a signal from the DSLAM or is attempting to train the DSLAM"

Any ideas?

Btw, I can still connect via the laptop and when I start the pc in safe mode with networking.

Again, it's not a problem with your internet connection. The problem is purely the old computer.

If you still feel you have trojans or virii, post a note here. There guys are sh!t hot at giving you the EXACT tools you need to resolve THAT problem.

Depending on whether it's suitable to you and if you have the CD's, a system format and windows re-install may be the quickest option. You WILL be back up in a couple of hours. As it stands, you 4 days after your initial post.

~There are some things that may take longer to resolve than needed.

Advertisement