Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marc Wilson

• 18-12-2008 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I won't try to fully understand the ins and outs of the "Born in NI, playing for the RoI" rules, but I know Marc Wilson has played for both, but laterly for the RoI at U21 level.

Anyway, he had a great game last night and most callers to the Quay (Local Radio Station) were calling him as man of the match.

So, what's the score, he is a strong, very confident player who can play midfield, centre of defence or, as he did last night, at right back. He has two very good feet and knocked in a lot of very good crosses for Crouch (Who should have scored four or five last night). Will Trap give him a look in, is it worth a punt given the current state of the Irish squad or will the fact that he doesn't play for sunderland mean he won;t get a look in?:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think his biggest problem will be that Trap wont alter the squad unless there is an injury, or at least that is how it appears to me.

He seems to have played magnificently well last night, has he been playing in the reserves much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Draupnir wrote: »
    I think his biggest problem will be that Trap wont alter the squad unless there is an injury, or at least that is how it appears to me.

He seems to have played magnificently well last night, has he been playing in the reserves much?

He is a regular in the reserves and has been getting a lot of praise.

I'm not saying he is the next Roy Keane, but he looks to be a very solid premiership standard player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

A shoo-in.
    Trap, or more accurately the FAI selection setup, is locked into the English system, outsourcing decisions to managers and scouts there.
    I don't doubt that he played well, and can do again, but the bottom line is that if he's good enough for Pompey he's good enough for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Adams: “I was delighted with Marc Wilson. I think he’s got every chance. He’s two-footed, can head the ball and is quick and strong.

“He put in some tremendous crosses from right-back, but I do see him as a centre-back. I think he can do it in the Premier League as a central defender.

“He needs to be playing every week. Unfortunately I think the best thing for me to do with him is to get him out on loan, maybe to a Championship side. I don’t think reserve-team football is probably good enough for him to learn his trade.

“He’s that close, but obviously at the moment he’s not better than Glen Johnson, Sol Campbell or Sylvain Distin.

“His attitude is fantastic. He wants to train and is the first one out and last one in.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

laterly for the RoI at U21 level.

Well then he'll have to play for the RoI at full senior level also.

Where is he from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

or will the fact that he doesn't play for sunderland mean he won;t get a look in?:p

Andy Reid ? :)
    Des wrote: »

I also thought that once you are capped at U21/U23 level, that was it.

stovelid wrote: »

I also thought that once you are capped at U21/U23 level, that was it.

Nope.

Nope.

So it's full senior cap only? Didn't realize, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    So it's full senior cap only? Didn't realize, sorry.

your first response was funnier tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where is he from?

He's from Belfast but opted to play for the RoI.

Pompey took on a scout in Belfast about five years ago and Marc is the first player he spotted that has made it into the first team.

• Advertisement

your first response was funnier tbh.

I'm giving up sarcasm for 09. Especialy in here.

Advertisement