Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Speed Cameras

Options
  • 18-12-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Just received a nice photo of the rear plate on my car courtesy of a speed camera in the 50Kmh zone in Blackpool - presume its where you come from the faster zone coming from Mallow......

Anyone know how many cameras are actually active in Cork ? - its not that I'm a speed merchant (58 Kmh & that my first ticket in 20 yrs), just nice to know where drivers are likely to be slamming on their brakes suddenly :eek:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I didn't think Cork had any fixed cameras...
    Maybe a gasto van got you???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Andip wrote: »
    Just received a nice photo of the rear plate on my car courtesy of a speed camera in the 50Kmh zone in Blackpool - presume its where you come from the faster zone coming from Mallow......

Anyone know how many cameras are actually active in Cork ? - its not that I'm a speed merchant (58 Kmh & that my first ticket in 20 yrs), just nice to know where drivers are likely to be slamming on their brakes suddenly :eek:
    That sounds very harsh... especially if it was at the end of the dual carriageway.

I got caught by a speed camera in a similar situation last year, 11:30 at night the end of an empty dual carriageway going a similar amount over the speed limit. I paid the fine but I got a letter and a cheque a few months later refunding it and saying the 2 penalty points had been revoked. That was in Dublin though, I have never seen these cameras in Cork either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well it seems pretty harsh to me - it may actually have been my wife driving, but as we both use the same car up and down that road a few times each week, there's no way of proving it.......

I havent seen any fixed cameras but there - maybe it was a gatso....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Illkillya wrote: »
    That sounds very harsh... especially if it was at the end of the dual carriageway.

They love spots like that. One of their new favorites is at the end of the 120kph zones when the speed limit goes back to 100. It was probably a gatso van that caught the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I thought with the mounted cameras that they are required to have road markings and a sign saying that they are speed cameras...?
    If they are bringing them in then they should have them variable speed cameras. point a to point b type ones. Altho, with that system you could do 100mph and then slow down to 40mph at the end for a while and you'd be under... i dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

We'll be seeing more of those now that they are all short of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Andip wrote: »

Thats Harsh.
    Was told to ignore tickets from speeding camera's as they can't be proved in court. Burden of proof is on the Gardai. Tried it a few years ago and it worked. Was given a court date and a couple of days before the day got a letter saying the hiring was cancelled. never heard from them again. Not sure if it still works but the burden of proof is on them. The judge would have to be an right bull**ks to convict you for going 8km/ph over. Also speed cameras are not 100% reliable so you should win it, if it goes to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

whats a gasto van

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

A gatso van is a Garda van with a camera in the back.
    Takes pics of you speeding as you approach it, or pass it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dragon911

Caught tonight by a white van 08 D on the Glanmire road between the 60 & 100 kph signs - B****X - beware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

They're always there!! In on the very wide area on the left hand side.
    Saw a gatso van there about two weeks ago, so be very careful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I was on that road yesterday, I think its called the Commons Road. It's a 50kmph straight wide road, that doesn't become a 40kmph and then 100kmph road for ages.

Heading away from the city on the left after the Topaz station on the left there is an inlet where residents park. On the footpath there must be a fixed camera, I saw a flash (not at me)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

That stretch from Blackpool shopping centre and the 100kph sign on the Limerick road is one of those spots I am always careful on. Seen the Gatso van there numerous times. Thought it was one everyone knew about by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

I was down in cab motors in blackrock last week and one of the vans was in there getting its windows replaced. Someone smashed every bit of glass in it. The van is a plain white 08D transit with darkened rear windows.
    Regarding where the van is placed on the commons road heading towards mallow its usually parked on the left by harringtons paint factory. Its parked in with normal cars.
    Another place they always have speed checkpoints is by the fire station in ballyvolane. That road is 50 kph which is a joke. From the turnoff by northpoint to just bellow silversprings is 50 :mad:

Advertisement