Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivate me???

Options
  • 18-12-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Ok People I have come to the conclusion that 520 points isn't going to materialise in thin air with no study...

But I am possibly the most unmotivated person I have ever met....I have serious study guilt but its not enough to get me to take out the books...

I've tried looking at the courses, study timetables( all beautifully coloured in, I may add) and all that jazz....

I need to study. I need motivation. Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Cop the **** on, sit down, and do the work. There's no easy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The above is basically it.

Get yourself away from distractions (THE INTERNET), set aside your time, sit down and do your work.

Do you want to go to college? Feeling guilty isn't going to get you there.

If you want I can ban you from this board, but well... you'd probably just go on the other ones. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Think of the faked congratulations your family would have to give you if you don't do so well...
    Not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Ok People I have come to the conclusion that 520 points isn't going to materialise in thin air with no study...

But I am possibly the most unmotivated person I have ever met....I have serious study guilt but its not enough to get me to take out the books...

I've tried looking at the courses, study timetables( all beautifully coloured in, I may add) and all that jazz....

I need to study. I need motivation. Please help.

Having done my Leaving Cert last year and not achieved my full potential, I can tell you it feels absolutely horrible opening up the envelope with your results in it and not getting what you want. I saw it happen my friends too, whether they were 5 points short or 50, they were devastated. For the ones that put in the work, that envelope made them happier than they'd ever been. Just picture yourself opening your results next August and ask yourself how you'd feel if you'd put yourself through two years of leaving cert to come up short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Parsley wrote: »
    Having done my Leaving Cert last year and not achieved my full potential, I can tell you it . . . . . yourself through two years of leaving cert to come up short?

Man, you just motivated me to study :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Think of the faked congratulations your family would have to give you if you don't do so well...
    Not nice.

That scenario would give me nightmares :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Parsley wrote: »
    Having done my Leaving Cert last year and not achieved my full potential, I can tell you it feels absolutely horrible opening up the envelope with your results in it and not getting what you want. I saw it happen my friends too, whether they were 5 points short or 50, they were devastated. For the ones that put in the work, that envelope made them happier than they'd ever been. Just picture yourself opening your results next August and ask yourself how you'd feel if you'd put yourself through two years of leaving cert to come up short?

Listen to this guy and cop the **** on and study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I didn't do a tap of work until it was 2 weeks before the exams. Probably not very motivating, but I was in the same situations. It was just my personal hate towards the whole exam system and what not that ensured I wouldn't put in much effort.

I'm more of a crammer tho, I need to be under 100% pressure to do something I dont really want to do, i.e the leaving. Try do something at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

the worst part will be looking back at it this time next year just thinking if only i had have studied.

do supervised study or go to a library where the only thin you can do is study without any distractions. when its all over and done with it will be so worth it for you if you put in the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

QFT.

Get off the internet, step away from your computer, open a book and STUDY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Pretty much it. It's only the next 5 months of your whole life. Head down, do the work, regain life after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

teckoda wrote: »
    I didn't do a tap of work until it was 2 weeks before the exams. Probably not very motivating, but I was in the same situations. It was just my personal hate towards the whole exam system and what not that ensured I wouldn't put in much effort.

I'm more of a crammer tho, I need to be under 100% pressure to do something I dont really want to do, i.e the leaving. Try do something at least!

Just out of interest,how would you like people to be tested.I too am a crammer yet i think the way they have the exam system set up is the best possible at the moment.It maybe a test to how much learning and reciping what you saw in a book but howelse can theey grade people

Opening your results around all your friends in August, seeing them smile and plan their college lives; but, you yourself know you can't go, you won't be part of it. Going out that evening and night, making excuses to everyone who asks you what you got; pretending to be happy when you're not. Then September rolls around, all of your friends are packing up and moving into their new apartments; they come home every week and talk about the freedom they have, about how great it is. You pretend it doesn't bother you, but it does.

That should be motivation enough:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Opening your results around all your friends in August, seeing them smile and plan their college lives; but, you yourself know you can't go, you won't be part of it. Going out that evening and night, making excuses to everyone who asks you what you got; pretending to be happy when you're not. Then September rolls around, all of your friends are packing up and moving into their new apartments; they come home every week and talk about the freedom they have, about how great it is. You pretend it doesn't bother you, but it does.

That should be motivation enough:P

Listen to this guy, he knows how it is. (A fellow repeat if I'm not mistaken..)
    You do not want to repeat, you don't. All your friends are going to be gone and you'll still be at home with your parents reading Shakespeare and memorising French phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

bythewoods wrote: »
    Listen to this guy, he knows how it is. (A fellow repeat if I'm not mistaken..)
    You do not want to repeat, you don't. All your friends are going to be gone and you'll still be at home with your parents reading Shakespeare and memorising French phrases.

I am indeed a repeat, sadly! People should listen to us repeats, we're wise beyond our years:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Two words.
    Jam making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Two words.
    Jam making.

Why doesnt just one ask an elder about jam making?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

I'm another repeat!
    Seriously though, you really just have to understand that you need to study! Opening that envelope was the most horrible thing I've ever had to do, I was numb for days afterwards! - but it was my fault because I didn't study. Also you must realise that you need constant revision - don't just automatically assume from the Mocks that your points score will increase! I went down 35 points (amazing since I did absolutely nothing for the Mocks!!)
    And yea, having all your friends away from you at college is harrowing!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

want motivation just look at the time table i dont think they could have made it much better makes me realise there is a managable amount of work to do

• Advertisement
Advertisement