Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky situation

Options
  • 18-12-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for replying to this, and my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Ok so my sister was renting with 2 friends, she left the house for a few days (gone to her boyfriends) and returned to find the locks were changed.

She called the landlady, who said that the other two girls had moved out (without telling my sis) and she presumed she had gone aswell. (landlady thought that they had done a runner)

Anyway, my sis had been giving one of the girls her rent to lodge into the landladys bank account, but this girl didnt lodge any of it, and instead i suppose 'stole it'.

The landlady is now refusing to give my sis her things back until she pays her all of the rent that she is due (approx 6 weeks).

I'm basically just wondering if she is allowed to do this....And if anyone has any suggestions as to what should be done please let me know!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The landlady is not legally allowed to take her property, or deny her access to it.

The garda will sort out that quickly enough.

It's up to the landlady to pursue the original 2 girls, not your sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hopefully your sister has some way to prove that she paid the rent to the other girl?

Either way, the landlady isn't permitted to keep her stuff. Contact the Gardai for assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ohh, illegal evictions. Contact the PRTB, you'll make ten grand on her back fairly handy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Oh shudder- we're not going down that road again, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

smccarrick wrote: »
    Oh shudder- we're not going down that road again, are we?

The recommendation of taking them to the PRTB to get a potential compensation payout?

In this case the OP's sister is hardly to blame, and the landlady is seriously out of line in her actions. I'd probably go to the gardaí first to get access restored, then find somewhere else to live ASAP, and worry about the PRTB later

as someone mentioned earlier, the OP's sister will find it in her best interest to have proof of the cash paid to the other girl

• Advertisement
Advertisement