Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling Up?

• 18-12-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on increasing their level? I am pretty far on in the game, head of all the guilds etc. and not many side quests left and find myself recently only on level 7. Does anyone have any tips on what is best to increase your level?

Comments

Okay, it's been a while since I played the game, but as far as I remember you gain levels in both primary / secondary skills.

Your primary skills will level up faster than the secondary ones.

To level up effectively (i.e get bonuses - up to +5 - per skill when you level up), you have to focus on improving a small set of skills for one level.

E.g you're a fighter. So for level 5, you decide to improve your block, blunt and blade skills. If you can exclusively improve these skills, you'll get better bonuses for them when you next level up.

Once you have improved a skill (any skill) ten times (I think), you'll level up.

Then, once all you primary skills are "maxed out", you won't be able to level up any more.

Hope this all makes sense, and helps a little.

Oblivion really is an excellent game, best I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ZondaChai

If you want to create the best character you can make, then pick skills you will never use as your major ones. If you do that then you have complete controll over when you level up and you can maximise your attribute points.

The first quest line you should do is the mages guild for access to the university. Create low level spells you can use on yourself such as a self harming destruction spell to increses you destruction skill. Conjuration spells are also important as you can use them to increase blade, block, blunt, hand to hand, marksman and others by attacking your own creation

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

UESP's wiki has a page explaining how leveling works in Oblivion [here] and a page on different ways of "efficient leveling" [here], its pretty comprehensive.

a5y wrote: »
    UESP's wiki has a page explaining how leveling works in Oblivion [here] and a page on different ways of "efficient leveling" [here], its pretty comprehensive.

Yep, UESP pretty much covers all your Oblivion needs! (and and other Elder Scroll needs, for that matter!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I was an Imperial Bard the first time I played the game but it was terrible because I wasn't leveling up and therefore not getting access to the unimaginably cool stuff. My friend told me to restart with a custom class, choosing major skills that I would actually use while playing the game.

I got to 7 in a couple of hours and I'm 22 at the moment but only because I stopped working on my level as I now have access to all the Daedric quests (some of the best quests in the game, with probably the best rewards).

Upon starting the new game I became an Imperial Warrior and my major skills were: Alchemy, Blade, Heavy Armour, Light Armour, Acrobatics, Sneak and Armourer.

• Advertisement

I was an Imperial Bard the first time I played the game but it was terrible because I wasn't leveling up and therefore not getting access to the unimaginably cool stuff. My friend told me to restart with a custom class, choosing major skills that I would actually use while playing the game.

I got to 7 in a couple of hours and I'm 22 at the moment but only because I stopped working on my level as I now have access to all the Daedric quests (some of the best quests in the game, with probably the best rewards).

Upon starting the new game I became an Imperial Warrior and my major skills were: Alchemy, Blade, Heavy Armour, Light Armour, Acrobatics, Sneak and Armourer.

My second (and fav) character was custom created. He's a thief / assassin character. I called the Custom Class "Crimson Scar" as a kind of tie in with the "Vile Lair" add on, and because I created him with an intention of becoming a vampire (which was the first thing I did out of the sewers).

...(God, I need to get out more...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Ewwww I hate vampires!

Advertisement