Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil

Options
  • 18-12-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Was going low in heating oil, so i rang a guy to put 300euros worth into the tank. Came home from work and found an invoice which said 565euros worth was put in. I rang the guy and told him that i only asked for 300euro worth, to be fair he did say he did remember me say the 300euro but the guy that was delevering it for him must have filled the tank by mistake. Then he went on to say you could pay the 265euro after xmass, told him i was only paying the 300euro that i ordered and he could come and take the 265worth out of the tank. He still hasnt taking the oil out and now yesterday got an invoice for 265euro. what should i do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Was going low in heating oil, so i rang a guy to put 300euros worth into the tank. Came home from work and found an invoice which said 565euros worth was put in. I rang the guy and told him that i only asked for 300euro worth, to be fair he did say he did remember me say the 300euro but the guy that was delevering it for him must have filled the tank by mistake. Then he went on to say you could pay the 265euro after xmass, told him i was only paying the 300euro that i ordered and he could come and take the 265worth out of the tank. He still hasnt taking the oil out and now yesterday got an invoice for 265euro. what should i do now?

Put it in writing. Remind him you ordered 300 euro worth, and remind him of the subsequent telephone conversation. Tell him you are requesting him to remove the €265 worth out of the tank and provide evidence of how he does this (to ensure you don't lose all your money). Tell him that in the meantime you will keepusing your oil and you have no way of knowing when you will be using the €265 portion of his.

Keep a copy of that letter and send it by registered post. You'll need it if he tries to chase the €265.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 siopadoireachta

Tester46 wrote: »
    Put it in writing. Remind him you ordered 300 euro worth, and remind him of the subsequent telephone conversation. Tell him you are requesting him to remove the €265 worth out of the tank and provide evidence of how he does this (to ensure you don't lose all your money). Tell him that in the meantime you will keepusing your oil and you have no way of knowing when you will be using the €265 portion of his.

Keep a copy of that letter and send it by registered post. You'll need it if he tries to chase the €265.
    Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you have any sense you'll do a deal to pay the €265 at a later date, as you'll probably have to pay a lot more per litre in a couple of months time. I've heard of this happening to friends many times and they have always come to an amicable arrangement rather than loosing the head over it and having the fuel removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They can suck it out of the tank, but you'd have to be certain that they only suck out €265 (or the relevant number of litres) worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The oil he supplied is now commingled with your oil. You now own the oil. There are precedents about this from the world of forecourt fuel theft.

It really doesn't do to offer him the opportunity to take out the oil. He can't resell it because he can't stand over its purity.

Realistically, you are going to have to do a deal with this guy. If you are not planning on moving out of the place quickly, I would suggest you negotiate to buy the oil from him at a significant discount.

Get the current position in writing anyway, to ensure the story doesn't change later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Realistically, you are going to have to do a deal with this guy. If you are not planning on moving out of the place quickly, I would suggest you negotiate to buy the oil from him at a significant discount.

Get the current position in writing anyway, to ensure the story doesn't change later.

That sounds like very sensible advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

tell him your skint but u might be able to cough up 180 in feb. id keep it as oil def gonna be lot more in feb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It really doesn't do to offer him the opportunity to take out the oil. He can't resell it because he can't stand over its purity.

That's not the op's problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Standard practice when oil prices are falling this filling the whole tank

Oil prices are falling fast .The trick is to sell the fuel while the prioces are higher and make you pay more than you need to

If you say take out the 265 worth if the price of oil falls buy say 100% he would take out twice as much fuel. You have to say take out the fuel at 265 euros and so many liters as of the price of fuel for date december XX XX

So if the 300 euros would last you say two months then when the febuary comes look the new price for oil mayby 50% cheaper and offer him the new lowwer price for the oil.You might need to haggle and compromise a tad higher than that but Figure He should take it as it saves him coming to do a second refill..If the price for oil goes up which doesn't seem likly this year or even next year stick to the 265 euro

Your kinda in the oil futures trading market but figure you can win with it

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

he went on to say you could pay the 265euro after xmass

Could you not meet him half-way? I mean, ignoring your consumer rights for a second, and assuming you will use the oil, could you not just accept there was a mistake made and that they are trying to sort it out?

Maybe you think it was deliberate, or you're converting from oil to gas or something else that you haven't told us, but surely a bit of lee way wouldn't go a miss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

derry wrote: »
    Standard practice when oil prices are falling this filling the whole tank.....

I would never have worked that one out, excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Standard practice when oil prices are falling this filling the whole tank

No. Standard practice is to deliver what the customer ordered. This is an exception. A mistake. It happens. It has happen when prices were going up (I know for a fact) and when they were falling.
    If you say take out the 265 worth if the price of oil falls buy say 100% he would take out twice as much fuel. You have to say take out the fuel at 265 euros and so many liters as of the price of fuel for date december XX XX

Firstly Fuel companies work in Litres not Euro, so they will remove the required Capacity not the Value. It's very naïve to even imagine any fuel supplier would attempt to remove a value of fuel at the rate on the day it is removed rather than the capacity involved.

Secondly I'd love to know how you can quote an example of 100% reduction in the price of Oil against today's prices???:D

Advertisement