Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the furthest North you've been?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭

Bit of fun for around the XMas time.

So where is the furthest North you have been and what was the weather like there?

To start, I was in Lulea in Northern Sweden a few years ago in April. This town is at the very North of the Baltic Sea. The sea was still frozen at that time and temps went down to -5c at night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulea

I wonder have any boardsies been near the North Pole?!

Comments

If it counts I had a good view out the window at a very frozen Greenland on a flight to San Francisco.You could see the frozen rivers.
    A friend of mine has been there.
    The women are very foward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The women are very foward.

I have that problem wherever I go.

Including Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ballyheerin beach, Fanad Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Whitehorse Yukon Territory Canada. C62deg north, not that much further north than John O'Groatsm but north enough in late May to read newspaper inside of tent in middle of night. I pitched my tent facing the setting sun thinking the rising sun wouldn't affect me, but didn't think at the time that the sun would rise not far from setting sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

I once was on a flight fro Belfast to Toronto, it took an eliptical path up over Iceland direction. At midpoint in the flight, l looked out the righthand side of the plane and saw the North Pole. Its quite big and looks like one of those barbershop poles but had a wee flag on it saying "North Pole"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

knoxor wrote: »
    Its quite big and looks like one of those barbershop poles but had a wee flag on it saying "North Pole"...

So that's what that is...

ch750536 wrote: »
    I have that problem wherever I go.

Including Cork.
    Yeah that happens when you go to the washington on the night exams are over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

St Petersburg Russia at 59N
    followed be a close Aviemore in Scuutland (poor scottish text accent:o) at 57N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

On board a Norwegian factory ship fishing for scallops north of Spitsbergen. I think we went as far north as 81 degrees but because my body clock was so fecked that I slept through the 2 hours of daylight, I didn't notice anything special.

Highlight was transferring from one ship to another, dressed up in survival suits looking ike Michelin man.

Mind you, I've avoided scallops ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

turly wrote: »
    On board a Norwegian factory ship fishing for scallops north of Spitsbergen. I think we went as far north as 81 degrees but because my body clock was so fecked that I slept through the 2 hours of daylight, I didn't notice anything special.

Highlight was transferring from one ship to another, dressed up in survival suits looking ike Michelin man.

Mind you, I've avoided scallops ever since.

Now that is impressive ;)

but the rest of ye ........how come no photos ??........let's see some pics please ........ or it did'nt happen.......:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Letterkenny :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Reykjavík - 64N

Flew from Amsterdam to Honk Kong right over the north of Sweeden and Finland, northern Russia, etc. Flight paths are amazing - your so used to looking at 'flat' maps that your convinced your on the wrong flight! :D

kerry 1690...what happened in the washington inn stays in the washington inn:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Giants Causeway in Norn Iron, not far north at all really :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

kerry 1690...what happened in the washington inn stays in the washington inn:D

Erm ....wat didth happn in 1690 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Møre og Romsdal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nordkap, Norway in mid June

Nothing to see at the actual Nordkap as it was very cold and very foggy that day.

Reading a newspaper outside at the campsite in Hammerfest in glorious sunshine at midnight was kinda special though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

About 61 or 62 degrees north in norway in October 2006. Quick search in google and it threw up a few(make that a lot) pictures i posted up over on TWO
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/t/4246.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

A place called high level northern alberta, north of fort mac, Minus 60 windchill early march, Snow lasted till middle of may.

Hardcore cold.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-24_metric_e.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've also flown over Greenland and Baffin Island, last time getting a superb view of the landscapes and sea ice thanks to almost clear skies from Iceland to northern Alberta on the flight home from the UK in 2007.

On the ground, I have been as far north as 63 N on a canoe trip way back in 1974, that took five weeks to complete. We were flown in to the headwaters of the Nahanni River on the Yukon-NWT border, that's probably as far north as I have been, although I was in Alaska on another trip. There was only a brief period of twilight at the start of our five weeks, and the weather is surprisingly similar to Scotland or even further south in July.

I hope to make it further north one day before I croak, but it's very expensive to fly into the high arctic. Alert on northern Ellesmere Island is the northernmost inhabited point on earth at about 82 N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I went on a trip to see santy clause and it was minus 30 degrees....almost fainted there actualy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Malin Head :o.

trogdor wrote: »
    About 61 or 62 degrees north in norway in October 2006. Quick search in google and it threw up a few(make that a lot) pictures i posted up over on TWO
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/t/4246.aspx

Nice one trogdor , some quality pictures there lad .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Supercell wrote: »
    Giants Causeway in Norn Iron, not far north at all really :D

Same here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Kiruna in the north of Sweden last December, was on erasmus in stockholm and went on a trip north and got to see the northern lights was absolutely amazing but also abosolutely freezing
    its at
    Lat/Lon: 67.8° N 20.3° E

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Same here. :o

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Dublin , Ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Either Barrow in Alaska or Sachs Harbour in Canada. Can't remember which is further north. Both are still hundreds of miles away from the North Pole though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 extremeweather

Levi, Finland (67 deg 48 min N).

It was pretty cold during the November I was there, from -4 to +4 during the "daytime", which was around four hours of very weak sunlight and around two hours each of dawn and dusk.

The ski season (which can run until June!) was just starting but they needed to use artificial snow and of course most of the skiing is under floodlights at that time of year. The Finns are really into cross country skiing too.

Another thing the Finns are fond of is saunas. Every room in my fairly basic hotel had a private, timer-controlled sauna. Set it in the morning before you go out, and it's ready for when you get back!

//
    Extreme Weather, Climatic Shifts & Natural Disasters in Ireland
    http://wiki.ucc.ie/extreme-weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Kippure wrote: »
    A place called high level northern alberta, north of fort mac, Minus 60 windchill early march, Snow lasted till middle of may.

Hardcore cold.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-24_metric_e.html

Jayzus, what were you doing up there. I used to work (do research) out of High Level...quite the dump.

As for myself, in my former life I was a research geologist for 15 years specializing in Arctic geology. I've been all over the Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Nunavut etc., and even spent 2 summers living in a tent on Ellesmere Island at just over 80 deg. north, and have been as far north as 81 deg.

Gave it all up for the quiet life in Ireland.

Advertisement