Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to using An Post

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

I need to post a 3.5kg box to Austria. I was quoted €44 by An Post which seems like a complete rip off to me. Is there any other postage operators out there that are cheaper?

Thanks in Advance
    Garret

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

44 euro for 3.5kg to Australia is as good as you're going to get I think. I assume this is airmail?

Edit: Just checked DHL there and for a 3.5kg box it's 180 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

UPS, Fedex, DHL, there are dozens of them.

Have at look in the Yellow Pages or at Yellowpages.ie for those in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

penexpers wrote: »
    44 euro for 3.5kg to Australia is as good as you're going to get I think. I assume this is airmail?

Edit: Just checked DHL there and for a 3.5kg box it's 180 euro.
    Australia??? Did the OP not say Austria?:confused:

DHL..... Austria (zone 3)....
    'DHL Express Worldwide
    3.50 Kgs of parcels or documents = € 102.45
    Next Day delivery to major towns and cities

Pre 9am and Pre 12 noon Express Services may be available for this destination.

Please note: The rates shown above are an estimate only. They do not include a VAT charge of 21.5% for shipments exported within the European Union. A flexible monthly Fuel Surcharge applies to all rates, for December 2008 this is 14%. Please call DHL Customer Services on 1890 725 725 for the most up to date rates.'

If you use packages instead of parcels it is a lot cheaper with an post but the maximum package is 2KG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

boopolo wrote: »
    Australia??? Did the OP not say Austria?:confused:

Doh! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Forget any of the couriers for a package that size especially if you want it delivered before christmas. You will pay premium freight of over €100+ for airfreight. You could specify roadfreight, but expect to pay around €50+ and a 3-5 day delivery turnaround depending on delivery site. (on an aside 14% fuel surcharge is ridiculous, round about now it should be 6.5 - 8 %). An post will usually work out the cheapest, might not be the quickest, but cost effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If its possible to split the parcel then it would be cheaper to post it that way, once it goes over 2 kgs the price rockets.

Advertisement