Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips Section

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Here are 2 Coillte type No Entry Signs that you can use for putting on the entrances to Coillte lands.
    They are the required full size 400mm x 600mm and are both the same but in different file formats.

Save the file and either print out, you'll need a big printer, or take the saved file to an office supply shop or printers.

To save the file to your PC Right Click the file or image and click "Save Target As" or "Save Picture As".

Copyright CliveJ 2009. Free to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Found this and thought it may be useful to have here:

Here is a guide for using a shim under the mounts to give you extra elevation on your scopes.
    Use a cut up feeler gauge for the shim and you will have the correct thickness shim.

Bushnell Scopes made the data.

ScopeShimTable.jpg
    ScopeShimImage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

in these recesion times money is scarce and, if like me you enjoy your shooting but are cash strapped, with out enough money to buy an electronic called for foxes or are not skilled enough to call with your hand. you can always use polystyrene you get from packaging and rub it on your vehicle window and it will make a squeking noise like a rabbit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I took the vanity mirror out of the sunvisor of my old car and use that for squeking. Very handy for walking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

usin an old dog toy squeaker so far i havnt called a single fox with it!maybe im doing itwrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

bazza888 wrote: »
    usin an old dog toy squeaker so far i havnt called a single fox with it!maybe im doing itwrong?
    Try taking the little valve out of the toy and just blow trough it, you can get a wide range of sounds out of it and it can work very well

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I took the vanity mirror out of the sunvisor of my old car and use that for squeking. Very handy for walking
    how do you squell with the mirror? just rub it with your hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

EastTyrone wrote: »
    in these recesion times money is scarce and, if like me you enjoy your shooting but are cash strapped, with out enough money to buy an electronic called for foxes or are not skilled enough to call with your hand. you can always use polystyrene you get from packaging and rub it on your vehicle window and it will make a squeking noise like a rabbit
    funny how everything repeats itself, this was standard procedure back in the seventies when I started lamping, off you went with an empty bottle and a piece of polystyrene and a shotgun-there was no money back then either:D

• Advertisement

funny how everything repeats itself, this was standard procedure back in the seventies when I started lamping, off you went with an empty bottle and a piece of polystyrene and a shotgun-there was no money back then either:D
    im not old enough to remeber then but im told thtas what people did, and it was as successful as using an electronic caller, what was the bottle for? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

im not old enough to remeber then but im told thtas what people did, and it was as successful as using an electronic caller, what was the bottle for? :confused:
    Rubbing polystyrene on glass makes a very convincing 'rabbit in distress' squealing sound; not sure if the bottle was just a convenient source of glass, or if it served some other purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rovi wrote: »
    Rubbing polystyrene on glass makes a very convincing 'rabbit in distress' squealing sound; not sure if the bottle was just a convenient source of glass, or if it served some other purpose.

the bottle was handier than taking the car windscreen with ya ;)

do you constantly call or stop and start?

how do you squell with the mirror? just rub it with your hand?

No no ha ha, sorry i meant with the aeroboard like. Very effective.

johngalway wrote: »
    the bottle was handier than taking the car windscreen with ya ;)

Whats even handier is a little vanity mirror. Rob one off your other half. She'l probably have lots and wont miss it:) or do what i did, bang your head off sunvisor whilst getting into the car, then strike the sunvisor wit fist. If the car is a mazda it should just pop out:):D

hi greenpeter,got my first fox today by taking the squeaker out of dog toy and blowing it with my mouth sounds 100times better about 7.30 in a field beside maize he came in to about 50yards!!thanks for advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Thought these were good for the potentially new Hunters and the general public about shooting and dealing with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

Heres one ye might find interesting, all you need to know about wildfowling from raising ducks to plucking and even cooking them http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/

bazza888 wrote: »
    hi greenpeter,got my first fox today by taking the squeaker out of dog toy and blowing it with my mouth sounds 100times better about 7.30 in a field beside maize he came in to about 50yards!!thanks for advice!
    Well done bazza glad it worked for you, when we lamp we always bring the shot gun along and have got a nice few with the shot gun using that little valve. The best thing about them is you can loose it then just back into a pound shop and get another for a euro, another one i use is a blade of thick grass between the your thumbs and blow trough it can work as-well, recession on :D.

• Advertisement

I saw this a while back but only found it again now. And I tried it out and i tworks as well. Best done on a freshly killed bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

just wondering how do you use the squeaker ?
    do you just blow it normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

murphy125 wrote: »
    just wondering how do you use the squeaker ?
    do you just blow it normally?

Search on youtube "using fox caller"
    you will find lots of demonstrations, you are trying to make the sound of something that is food and an easy meal, a distressed rabbit for example.

A lot of times a single squeak is used to get a fox on his rounds to stop to listen, so you can take your shot, the best way I find to do this is purse your lips tightly and suck in a little air, it takes a little practice but has the advantage that you can do it while down behind the rifle,
    exactly when you want to stop the fox.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Huntn targets

http://triebel-shop.com/index.php?cPath=243_319_340

I like the fox ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

A stencil is easy to make if you've patience.

1. Go to Microsoft Word and set the orientation (page layout) to landscape (long ways) ...it's usually set at portrait (straight up)

Set margins to narrow so you'll be able to use all of the page

2. Set your font to STENCIL (if this is not on your computer download it....do a search for font STENCIL)

in Page layout set the font spacing to 0 before 0 after.....no space between letters above and below to fit in as much as possible

3. Write your message e.g. Craggy Island Gun Club
    Lands Preserved

keep amount of words short ....the more you write the smaller the words will be on the sign to fit it all in.

4. Adjust the font, making it larger, until the writing fills the page. Usually the largest font is 72 points....too small for sign.

If you want to increase the font size hightlight it, press ctrl and ] and it will get bigger....ctrl and [ makes it smaller.

5. Print Off

6. Cut out wording with aa sciccors very carefully.

6. Get some hard plastic for your stencil.....I used a plastic cover off a bound document.

7. Sellotape your stencil to this and trace around the letters you cut out with a permanent marker.

8. Remove paper stencil to leave plastic sheet with stencilling written in permanent marker.

9. Cut this out with scapel....use a new blade

JOB DONE....buy a can of spray paint & off you go....can be used over & over again.

Sign made in Microsoft Word.....use of STENCIL FONT allows you to cut out letters with a scapel and they will not fall out when finished

Capt.jpg

another way to make a fox caller.

Everyone will no the wee toy tractors children have now a days.

Well take out the horn from one and inside this is reeds. put one side of the horn up to your mouth and blow

low and behold a rabbit squeel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

murphy125 wrote: »

Made them and they work.

Two things to note. Wood is a hell of a lot heavier than weldmesh & cable ties. Chicken wire isn't worth a toss, magpies will break in and out of it, never mind grey crows!

• Advertisement

Full review here = http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66515357#post66515357

OK I have had these torches out a couple of times now and a few of you have asked where I got them from and how good are they.

First off don't compare these to the Lightforce 170 lamps. The 170 LF will outshine and throw a longer beam than these ever can. And I have used the 170 LF and still have the handheld version with dimmer.
    But I found that when I used the scope mounted version when I got it off the back seat of the car the lamp head had always turned and I had to twist it back before any shot could be taken a big let down from the 170 LF for me. And of course you always had the battery to carry as well.

Now these LED torches give a long narrow throw of a beam and you will see the reflection from the foxes eyes @200m+ IMO. You will not make out the outline of the fox at 200m but you will easily see that fox in your scope @150m+ and place the shot. At 100m+ you will see the fox walking about, see it's colour, body, tail, everything.
    I have left one on for over 2 + half hours and you will get a lot more time from it as you won't have it on all the time, and of course you can put a couple of spare batteries in your pocket (careful not to let them short out). The batteries used are 4 x CR123A or 2 x TR18650 3.7volt. Input voltage is 7.4v-17v and is regulated. The output is stated @220lumens and has is a CREE P4 LED.
    It has a clicky/pushy on/off on the end and ou must push it all the way to turn on/off.

I have two and use one for scaning the fields and the other is fixed to my scope with 2 cheap back to back scope mounts as shown.

12052010027.jpg

Advertisement