Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't been playing WoW for nearly a week. Is it really that addictive?

• 18-12-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, because of computer problems (which I'm not going into), I haven't been able to play Wacraft for nearly a week now, apart from 2 hours I spent in an internet gaming place on Tuesday. I expect I won't be able to play again for at least another week. But the way some people talk about it being so 'addictive' I'd nearly half expect to be rolling on the floor and screaming with withdrawal symptoms. I'm not too bothered though, I'm more miffed at the overall computer troubles than anything else.

Anyone else think that the "addictive" nature of the game is being blown out of all proportion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I havent been able to play since sunday night... Im literally crawling the walls. Anxious how the heroics and raids are going, wondering if the 400 artic furs have sold.... Im so tempted to go to a cafe, but i just dont trust them.All my neighbours are on WPA2 so i cant even "borrow" their connections :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Two weeks now,

Havnt cause of moving back into the house After the extension and interior Rebuild, router sitting on the floor and have been using my laptop for email etc, room has only been finished painting so desk needs to be built and pc all
    hooked up, etc

With the house being a mess its hard to Motivate myself to do Stuff, am
    missing it and not as was Enjoying the wotlk,
    have left for a year and came back, so I know I can be cured when i want :)

Saying that however awaiting delivery That Dell monitor that all are going mad about on Bargain thread 23inch HD Widescreen monitor, if that comes tomorrow I dont think i will get Much sleep tomorrow night ,, :)

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i'm stupidly addicted to it once I sit down, but if i'm away from it it doesn't really bother me...i hit 78 last night and almost at the end of my rested bonus, so i'll give it a day or two before I go back again probably, just to keep the blue bar healthy :D

99% of the time, when I have a few days break, I look forward even more to getting back at it, as opposed to having withdrawal symptoms :)

But there are times when Ye can't peel me away from the PC...lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

havent played since a month before the expansion..

im not planning on signing up also. id love to play i love the game but simply i dont have the time to commit to the game. and that one fact annoys the hell out of me. ive constantly got commitments elsewhere that stop me from raiding ( havent raided in over 2 years ) and now i just cant bring myself to go out and buy that stupid game so it can take over my life for another few years....

its very addictive. i used to rush to a pc with net connection at lunch time to put stuff on the ah and then a quick bg perhaps do some dailys and back to work... the game is to much fun..

im thinking of signing up to warhammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I stopped playing 6 months ago and had to adopt a similar approach to giving up fags(cigarettes not the other ones..tut,tut).I had to wipe the game completely from the computer, close account etc, cause I knew if I was anywhere near it, I'd create some excuse to go back playing, even if it was,"I'll just check in for a minute", and then I'd be playing for the day.
    I started out playing it a small bit and thought it was crap compared to the likes of morrowind and before I knew it I was playing for 10 to 12 hours a day.I kept telling myself that it was rubbish but I kept playing thinking it would dramatically change when I hit lvl 70, and then maybe I could stop.FAt chance.
    The bloody thing became a hugh part of my day and I realised that there were much better things to be doing so I packed it in.Have to admit that since I stopped I haven't had the slightest interest in re opening my account or trying out the lich king.It just doesn't interest me anymore, thats not saying that I'm dissing anyone who plays it, its just that it really wasn't my type of game.You really need to be dedicated to it to get anywhere and once you get into heroics or raids, if you're in a serious group doing it, you really need to commit a large amount of time.I've done a psychology degree and even when I was playing wow I could see simple psychological behaviourist tricks to condition people into playing for longer, simple reward systems and the like.And I have to admit that it is constructed very well.Now that my addiction is broke I'm off to do something healthier like smoke some crack and murder a prostitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Meatwad wrote: »
    I'm off to do something healthier like smoke some crack and murder a prostitute.

getting a job in DHL or Parcel force . well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive barely played it since expansion release simply because of college work and I don't feel like im missing out. I used to be addicted to wow (Particularly the first 3 months), but now it feels monotonous at the best of times. The only reason I still play is because a lot of my friends and family play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Akos01

I think it is that addictive.
    It provides (some) people with enough entertainment that they are happy enough doing nothing else. This is bad.

Do you often think about it when not playing? If yes = Addict

Though that doesnt mean youl have much difficult getting out, lets face it were not talking about heroin here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kazaap

Its addictive in the sense that, if I'm at home with nothing else to do Ill start playing and ill stay at it for hours. And that can have a pretty bad impact on your social life if you arent careful. Its not addictive in the sense that,or wasnt for me anyway,if you are busy and have stuff to be doing, i wont miss playing it at all.

What i mean by 'nothing else to do' is not having a job,or not being in school/college. I was something of a hardcore raider for awhile when i was out of work/college, and spent an awful long time playing,as hardcore raiders do. But once i started back in college I stopped playing and havent really thought much of it. When i do log on its normally to talk to old friends and afk in ironforge. or do people afk in dalaran these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Akos01 wrote: »
    I think it is that addictive.
    It provides (some) people with enough entertainment that they are happy enough doing nothing else. This is bad.

Do you often think about it when not playing? If yes = Addict

Though that doesnt mean youl have much difficult getting out, lets face it were not talking about heroin here.

That's ridiculous, I often think about my family when I'm not around them but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them.

I'm not addicted to WoW anyway. In fact the run up to 80 is really annoying me as it takes so long for that bloody bar to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

daiixi wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, I often think about my family when I'm not around them but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them.

I'm not addicted to WoW anyway. In fact the run up to 80 is really annoying me as it takes so long for that bloody bar to move.

Your doing it wrong then ;) But yeah, i hate leveling a new char i have a few more to bring from 70-80 now and im not really looking forward to it. Good thing is, once youv'e done it one its alot easier the next time. No to farm more epixxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Long story short, because of computer problems (which I'm not going into), I haven't been able to play Wacraft for nearly a week now, apart from 2 hours I spent in an internet gaming place on Tuesday. I expect I won't be able to play again for at least another week. But the way some people talk about it being so 'addictive' I'd nearly half expect to be rolling on the floor and screaming with withdrawal symptoms. I'm not too bothered though, I'm more miffed at the overall computer troubles than anything else.

Anyone else think that the "addictive" nature of the game is being blown out of all proportion?

You can't play because circumstances don't allow it.

Try this.... Wait till your pc is fixed then try to not play it for 2 weeks and see what happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try this.... Wait till your pc is fixed then try to not play it for 2 weeks and see what happens :)

No. :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

elexes wrote: »
    getting a job in DHL or Parcel force . well done :D
    i work for DHL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

daiixi wrote: »

I read something a while back that said the human brain produces a chemical with similar properties to heroin when experiencing high levels of affection.

I know "similar properties" mean f*** all but they believe affection to be addictive, and in a sense I would agree

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

played to lvl 75 on my druid and ive given up nothing wrong with the druid just i couldnt be arsed to do the other 5 lvls im just not having fun infact the game feels like a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

That was the way I felt from about lvl 30 to 70.It just felt like work and I kind of got pushed into tanking by the guild I was in , that were all really experienced raiders, but I wasn't.I was stressed out every time I went on line because I was only learning and all these guys were pros, in the end I decided that I should stop torturing myself and stop playing.Was really weird cause in real life I handle stressful situations weekly and it doesn't really stress me out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meatwad wrote: »
    That was the way I felt from about lvl 30 to 70.It just felt like work and I kind of got pushed into tanking by the guild I was in , that were all really experienced raiders, but I wasn't.I was stressed out every time I went on line because I was only learning and all these guys were pros, in the end I decided that I should stop torturing myself and stop playing.Was really weird cause in real life I handle stressful situations weekly and it doesn't really stress me out at all.

That's actually pretty awful man. You definitely shouldn't be pressured into something, or feel stressed at all. It's a game, and as such should be fun, so if you're not getting that out of it, by all means bail.

I love tanking myself, nothing as fun as a good heroic run for me, but that was never something I was forced into doing, I just came to it myself. I guess anything you're forced or pressured into doing would squeeze all the good out of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hi my name is kayos and I was a wow addict, I’ve been clean for about 13months now and thank Christ…….I use to wake go to work, go for lunch and grind for it, go back to work figure out the best gear combo’s etc, go home play till sleepy time. Not a good cycle and one that I’m glad to be out of.

Mrs Kayos asked if I wanted to get the new expansion pack, I declined. Although are Ele Shaman any good these days or is eyonix still the guy in charge of the class feedback?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

kayos wrote: »
    Mrs Kayos asked if I wanted to get the new expansion pack, I declined. Although are Ele Shaman any good these days or is eyonix still the guy in charge of the class feedback?
    Intervention!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I haven't even bought WoTLK yet!! or upgraded my account,

i of course have the BC installed but since im only level 40 with no hope of getting to 70 anytime soon i figured why waste money on an expansion i wont get the full benefits for yet. When i bought WoW first i was playing it morning noon and night for 6-8 hours at a go. And thats allot for someone like me. Now a days its not too bad, I dont feel i HAVE to go and play it there are days where i just dont feel like playing it at all. it could be days before i get bitten by the bug again

However the problem lies with when i do start playing i'll sit down and play for hours at a time. When i do stop, i leave playing for another few days and then get back into it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

tbh WoW is no more addictive than Coronation Street or some other TV series people "have" to see every day/week. You can easily do without it, but it's very entertaining. :)

Advertisement