Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What mbps should i be getting with bt 24mb

Options
  • 18-12-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just set up my modem and stuff there! am shocked to only be getting 8mbps! Really annoying as i expected at least 15!!!!

Here are my details:

Downstream/Upstream
    Line Attenuation: 41.5db / 20.3dB

Noise Margin 14.3 dB / 25.8 dB

Anything else i should post?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys just set up my modem and stuff there! am shocked to only be getting 8mbps! Really annoying as i expected at least 15!!!!

Here are my details:

Downstream/Upstream
    Line Attenuation: 41.5db / 20.3dB

Noise Margin 14.3 dB / 25.8 dB

Anything else i should post?

That's about right for your attenuation level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

So theres no chance of getting any faster?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So theres no chance of getting any faster?

You could try disconnecting all other phones, Sky boxes etc. to see if they're impacting the line.

The phone line is downstairs (with a 15m extension cable going up to the bed room), next to a radiator and there is a portable pohone there aswell, would any of these cause a slower connection?

The phone line is downstairs (with a 15m extension cable going up to the bed room), next to a radiator and there is a portable pohone there aswell, would any of these cause a slower connection?

There we go. Connect a much shorter cable and try then.

• Advertisement

****!!!! Just spent a whole day extending it to make it look neater!!!! Ah well it will have to come down...Cheers mate!

Spear wrote: »
    There we go. Connect a much shorter cable and try then.

One other question actually!!!! Would putting a new socket in my bedroom be a better option than reducing the extension cable length?

One other question actually!!!! Would putting a new socket in my bedroom be a better option than reducing the extension cable length?

Much simpler to leave the ADSL modem/router near the phone point and run a CAT5 cable to your PC instead. Try without the long cables first though to make sure it's the cause of increased attenuation before worrying about rewiring parts of your house.

Just tried with my laptop, put the router next to it and used a 1m cable and the attenuation only droipped by 0.5db! Rang BT and they said im on the border of not being able to recieve it however im only 2.47km away from the exchange... Im really dissapointed cos im stuck with it for 12months! Wish i was told before switching!

Just tried with my laptop, put the router next to it and used a 1m cable and the attenuation only droipped by 0.5db! Rang BT and they said im on the border of not being able to recieve it however im only 2.47km away from the exchange... Im really dissapointed cos im stuck with it for 12months! Wish i was told before switching!

Sounds like it's the line length then, nothing can be done about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement