Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Network is Best for Roaming Worldwide?

• 18-12-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off Backpacking round the world. Which Phone & network would be the best so I could still receive texts from Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Are you talking PAYG or billpay. There will be many more countries available on billpay, with PAYG you might be better to consider where exactly you plan to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Are you travelling alone or with a group?

If with a group you are better off picking up prepaid SIMs in each country if you plan to use your phones to contact each other.

you could also look at roaming sim products e.g. http://www.maxroam.com
    also have a look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

vodafone would probably be the best if you're picking one but the ideal would be to have one from all 3 networks. I say 3 because there would be no country that's not covered by meteor, o2 and vodafone that would be covered by the other two

A local sim would be good but a lot of hassle and only worth it if you're staying a long time in each country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would go with Vimes plan and get 1 from O2, Meteor and Vodafone. The SIMs are free and you can pop a few euro on them before you go.

If you're with AIB or whatever you can top them up with Online Banking while you're away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

I'm just back from backpacking and i used my 3 Billpay
    Not ideal but one very handy thing i found is
    if you are in a country where there is a 3 network you can use your included minutes of your package and calls are charged at standard

following countries apply
    Hong Kong
    Australia
    Austria
    Denmark
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Italy
    Sweden
    Macau
    United Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Would Vodafone not cover everywhere, no? Does the model of the phone make a difference?
    I'm just thinking about receiving texts from Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Glacier wrote: »
    Would Vodafone not cover everywhere, no? Does the model of the phone make a difference?
    I'm just thinking about receiving texts from Ireland?
    The model of handset does make a difference if you are planning on roaming on a 2G/GSM or a 3G/WCDMA network.

Most handsets are GSM tri-band, whereas there are others that are GSM Quad-band and also WCDMA Quad-band.

Is there no network that would do everywhere? (or most places). And what one do I need? Could anyone recommend a phone? Also, if I'm going from place to place & wanted to keep in contact with people you meet on the Road, which would be the easiest network to change SIM cards from one country to another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Vodafone are best for roaming. If its a billpay sign up for their passport add-on. Regarding what model, I'd go for whatever tri or quad band you can get at the cheapest price.Also a bit of advice for your own safety, don't get a flashy phone. It can attract some unwanted attention in some parts of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

On prepaid, I think o2 is the best for roaming in far flung places.

As mentioned already, you should consider getting a local SIM every time you arrive in a new country. That way, you don't have to pay to receive calls, and texts home won't be expensive.

Vodafone are best for roaming. If its a billpay sign up for their passport add-on.

passport also works for pre pay but not for as many countries

OP, if you know where you're going why not go to each of the network sites and see if they have roaming deals in those countries?

So, from what I've heard, an O2, Nokia 6100, bill-pay. Would that be the best bet? So, if I wanted to text Ireland, it would be best to get a new SIM in ever country?

in terms of working o2 bill pay mighgt be best but with any bill pay you'll be paying a monthly contract that you won't be able to use abroad

What do you mean won't be able to use abroad?

Any modern bill pay will give you "minutes" or the like which you won't be able to use if you are abroad and which only roll over to a limited extent.

Meteor with prepayment of the deposit for roaming might be good too, but it really come down to where you want to go. Figure this out and then assess which of the Irish services or roaming sims is best, you need to do some research in particular. Roaming sims will have wider coverage than any regular service but you might not be going to the out of the way places that these would cover.

Just worldwide generally. So, then O2 Pay as you go & top up on-line would be better?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Any modern bill pay will give you "minutes" or the like which you won't be able to use if you are abroad and which only roll over to a limited extent.

right that's what i meant. i wasn't very clear. i meant that you wouldn't be albe to use the minutes you'd be paying for

So, then pay as you go is the only way?

So, then pay as you go is the only way?

i think so anyway. bill might work in a few more countries but you'd have to be willing to spend a minimum of €20 a month for minutes you can't use. you'd be better off getting a local sim for the very few countries where payg won't work

• Advertisement

Would you Recommend though, worldwide O2 is the best?

Mr.S wrote: »
    unless hes with 3 and goes to countrys with 3, you can use your minutes/txts in any country so long as your on the 3 network.

as long as his "worldwide travel" doesn't bring him anywhere except Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Hong Kong, Australia and UK.:pac:

or or pre pay, Italy, UK, Denmark, Sweden and Austria.
    Would you Recommend though, worldwide O2 is the best?

i'd recommend vodafone because their roaming is mostly cheaper than o2's but as i sad the best would be to get both vodafone and o2

Mr.S wrote: »
    with o2 you get international free web texts, which is handy enough..

this is true. and with the program in my sig you can send these texts from your phone for about 2c in just about any country in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

With O2 you can send MMS messages at no extra charge when roaming. I used to use them in the US the whole time. It's 20 cent for text only meesage, and you can write up to a thousand characters send it to a phone number or an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

If you're gonna be in some places in South America, you'll need a phone that's quadband (which is pretty easy to get now - I got the Sony Ericsson W910i for €120!)...

Besides that, just get your phone unlocked somewhere like the Carphone Warehouse, then buy Sim Cards as you go. Roaming charges tend to be very expensive and it costs you to receive calls too.

the carphone warehouse doesn't unlock phones

Advertisement