Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice! Gone.

Options
  • 18-12-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Apparently it closed today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

This is like the best christmas present ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Apparently it closed today.

Correct. Not a particularly seasonal act by that great philanthropist Niall Mellon, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Think we all seen that coming tbh

Sorry, for whom is this like "the best Christmas present ever"? The people who are now unemployed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Sorry, for whom is this like "the best Christmas present ever"? The people who are now unemployed?

Exactly. And a few days before Christmas as well. :(

• Advertisement

I think/hope that was a bad attempt of sarcasm on the posters part

I think/hope that was a bad attempt of sarcasm on the posters part

you're wrong

you're wrong

I can think of a lot better things to get for Christmas than a local paper closing. You don't get out much, eh?

I can think of a lot better things to get for Christmas than a local paper closing. You don't get out much, eh?

Its not a paper, its a rag. I get out a lot actually and my trip to the front door will be made easier now that i dont have to step over that excuse for journalism anymore. Its one less trip to the bin as far as im concerned.

Lets just say that some of its workers have other things to fall back on if you know what i mean

Some do, others dont. Others have families to support. Hard to do when your on the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Ok, so you didn't like the Voice. Fair enough. I don't like the KK People either but I'd never wish unemployment on any of its staff. The economy in this country is not the best at the moment and jobs are not so easy to find anymore. Cheering because some people have lost their jobs working on a newspaper you dislike is in bad taste IMHO. Perhaps they didn't like the tone of the newspaper either but you have to put bread on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The loss of the paper is no bad thing when you take out the unemployment. I found it a mouthpiece for the McGuinness's, applauding them for fixing potholes, getting grass cut in estates etc and not forgetting that unforgivable article this time 3 years ago. The loss of jobs is always a bad thing, but they were operating on skeleton staff the past few months after letting go most of the staff earlier in the year.

Nightwish wrote: »
    The loss of the paper is no bad thing when you take out the unemployment.
    Now that I agree with

Its not a paper, its a rag. I get out a lot actually and my trip to the front door will be made easier now that i dont have to step over that excuse for journalism anymore. Its one less trip to the bin as far as im concerned.

Lets just say that some of its workers have other things to fall back on if you know what i mean

Cheering because people have lost their jobs - and in the week before Christmas too. You're quite the charmer, aren't you?

While you're at it, care to back up your claim about some of its workers having other things to fall back on? Because no, I DON'T "know what you mean".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Your obviously a clown, troll or aged about 14 and know no better. A lot of business are finding it difficult times and people like you gloating on the fact that alot of people have lost their jobs a week before Christmas which has a knock on effect with their families make's me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The journalists were freelance, and so were not permanent. I think what Angus McGyver was referring to is that a certain local politician wrote for the paper. It was really the sales and publishing staff that were left, and at that there were very few. As anyone who tried to contact the voice by phone or email over the past few months knows, it was nigh on impossible to even speak to a member of staff.

Nightwish wrote: »
    The journalists were freelance, and so were not permanent. I think what Angus McGyver was referring to is that a certain local politician wrote for the paper. It was really the sales and publishing staff that were left, and at that there were very few. As anyone who tried to contact the voice by phone or email over the past few months knows, it was nigh on impossible to even speak to a member of staff.

Incorrect, Nightwish. The staff journalists there were all earning a weekly wage. (Jimmy Rhatigan, to name but one, was NOT a freelance.) They had jobs, therefore, and now don't.

The certain local politician you refer to used to work for the Voice but hasn't done so since he obtained a state job. Therefore the issue of him having "something to fall back on" doesn't arise since he wasn't working for the Voice.

Anything chance you might come back next time with something that approximates to the facts?

Twelve jobs gone, according to KCLR this morning.

Still, let's keep these things in proportion. Angus MacGyver's trip to his front door will become a lot easier, as he says. That's what really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Never really had an emotional investment in newspapers, but I am slightly happy the voice is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I would of thought adults would be able to discern what some one was celebrating and what some one wasn't .

I'm not delighted, but am quite happy its gone, I was totally fed up of it being shoved through my door and then me having to pay to dispose of it. Or it half stuck in the door clearly indicating days the house was un-occupied.

It is unfortunate that people lose their jobs but perhaps next time they will be lucky enough to be associated with a newspaper with at least some value, some relevance, some objectivity, and at least minimal quality.

It was a disaster of a newspaper at best, and its cover from a few years back, other than being totally and obscenely inappropriate might best indicate the values/ethos of the editorial staff, and why it will not be missed.

• Advertisement

and its cover from a few years back, other than being totally and obscenely inappropriate might best indicate the values/ethos of the editorial staff, and why it will not be missed.

That's unfair. Actually, it is the editor that has the say on what goes on the front page... not the journalists, production staff or advertising people that work there. Do you think they all had a meeting and a vote and decided to run with it?

And it isnt their fault it went to a free-sheet either. What were they meant to do? Leave their jobs because it was being delivered to people's doors?

I would of thought adults would be able to discern what some one was celebrating and what some one wasn't .

Exactly

Nowhere on this thread have I "gloated" over the loss of jobs. I have neither "cheered" people loosing their jobs nor have I wished unemployment on anyone,

It seems as if the paper was fair game in previous threads to be slagged off but as soon as it is gone nothing bad should be said about it.

Sure i forgot we are not allowed to speak ill of the dead............or are we

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054861513

Stop backtracking.

You asserted that this was like "the best Christmas present ever". You can't now claim that, "oh, that's not quite what I meant!" or "I'm sorry people have lost their jobs!"

As others here have implied, the demise of the Voice is hardly a terrible blow to the world of journalism. But that doesn't mean it's something to be celebrated.

It was a disaster of a newspaper at best, and its cover from a few years back, other than being totally and obscenely inappropriate might best indicate the values/ethos of the editorial staff, and why it will not be missed.

Does this mean that the Kilkenny People's recent cover photo of a corpse in a river indicated the values/ethos of ITS editorial staff?

Stop backtracking.

You asserted that this was like "the best Christmas present ever". You can't now claim that, "oh, that's not quite what I meant!" or "I'm sorry people have lost their jobs!"

As others here have implied, the demise of the Voice is hardly a terrible blow to the world of journalism. But that doesn't mean it's something to be celebrated.

Im not backtracking, you came to your own conclusions as to why I was happy about.

read the post, there is nothing between the lines. Where are you getting "oh, that's not quite what I meant!" or "I'm sorry people have lost their jobs!"from

Make your own conclusions about what i said but dont try twist words that were never there

Im not backtracking, you came to your own conclusions as to why I was happy about.

I didn't, actually. You gloated over the demise of the Voice and said that your trip to the front door would be easier from now on.

read the post, there is nothing between the lines. Where are you getting "oh, that's not quite what I meant!" or "I'm sorry people have lost their jobs!"from

Read your own post of 16.31 yesterday where you said you didn't cheer people losing their jobs or wish unemployment on anyone.

Make your own conclusions about what i said but dont try twist words that were never there

I have. We all have. You gloated over the closure of the Voice without thinking about the job losses. Admit you were thoughtless and we can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Does this mean that the Kilkenny People's recent cover photo of a corpse in a river indicated the values/ethos of ITS editorial staff?

yes it would obviously- you do understand what an editor's responsibilities are?

The difference though is IIRC the kilkenny people apologised and paid a sum to the army benevelant fund.

please note in the above a consistency, and objectivity.

If the Voice was not shoved through my letterbox I'd not care if it existed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Doesn't matter one way or another now. It's gone. Only the Advertiser is left and it's inferior to the Voice IMHO. It's just another paper that's gone up against the might of the Kilkenny People and lost. It seems to be very difficult to get people to change the local newspaper they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Firetrap wrote: »
    Doesn't matter one way or another now. It's gone. Only the Advertiser is left and it's inferior to the Voice IMHO. It's just another paper that's gone up against the might of the Kilkenny People and lost. It seems to be very difficult to get people to change the local newspaper they read.

I dont think it had anything to do with the might of the KK People.

The whole Voice group of papers is gone. They've been shutting papers in various counties over the last few months.

Kilkenny Voice and Tallaght Voice were the last two left up till last week.

By Róisín Burke
    Friday December 19 2008

The two remaining units of the newspaper group in which millionaire entrepreneur Niall Mellon is a major investor closed their doors suddenly yesterday.

Staff at the 'Tallaght Voice' and 'Kilkenny Voice' newspapers were informed that the group was folding yesterday afternoon. There was no prior notice of the imminent closure.

At the Kilkenny premises, staff said a brief announcement was made by founding director John Sheils and the locks on the premises were then changed. The two newspapers employed around a dozen staff each.

The Voice Provincial Newspapers group was set up in 2005 by former 'Sunday World' managing editor John Sheils. Mr Sheils and Susan Sheils are the two directors of the company.

At its largest stage, it consisted of 10 regional newspapers in the 'Voice' name: Kilkenny, Laois, Tipperary, Kildare, Liffey, Tallaght, Cavan, Monaghan, Naas and Galway. Initially the newspapers had a cover price of €1.80 but later they became free-sheet publications.

In March of this year, the Cavan Voice and the Monaghan Voice (both based in Cavan town) closed, closely followed by the Kildare Voice, the Naas Voice, the Liffey Voice (all three based in Naas), the Laois Voice in Portlaoise and the Tipperary Voice in Clonmel. The Galway city-based title closed in October. Each publication employed between 10 and 12 people.

Neither Mr Sheils nor Mr Mellon responded to requests for comment yesterday.

Source - http://www.independent.ie/business/media/remaining--voice-group-newspapers-close-doors-1580506.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

the rise and fall of the Voice title throughout Ireland mirrors the rise and fall of the property bubble.
    the primary functions of any local paper is deaths, births, marriages, legal notices, sales, community notices etc...... the KP was covering that anyway.
    it would seem to me, and i'm no expert, that the main bread and butter of the voice was property.
    the midland Voice titles folded earlier in the year as the dublin commuter belt was the first to really feel the sales slowdown in housing.
    Kilkenny property prices have been extremely sticky up until recently but denial of a property bust in Kilkenny was shattered for good by the massive price reductions for McDonagh junction appartments.
    i am sorry for all who depended on the Voice for their livelyhood.
    i believe it is inevitable that there will have to be a national write-down of debt, otherwise there will be rioting on the streets if it is perceived that the bankers can drop their keys in through the taxpayers letterbox but recent unemployed are pursued for their debts relentlessly.
    i believe there is potential for an online paper, no printing costs. sure it may have a small following initially but it will become essential for the Kilkenny area if the news content is constantly updating.

Advertisement