Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice! Gone.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Purry Cat wrote: »
    I have. We all have. You gloated over the closure of the Voice without thinking about the job losses. Admit you were thoughtless and we can move on.

Purry, you sound like someone whose lost their job recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Purry, you sound like someone whose lost their job recently

Didn't, thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

I have. We all have. You gloated over the closure of the Voice without thinking about the job losses. Admit you were thoughtless and we can move on.
    Since when are you the judge/jury/executioner of internet morality?. Angus should not have to admit he was thoughtless. Angus like the rest of us (and sadly people like you) is entitled to his opinion. Freedom of speech. Without that there would have been no "voice" in the first place.

The voice (like any other business) is kept afloat by providing goods, or services, which are needed/wanted by the public. The higher the quality of goods/services, the more demand there will be. And quality was not something that was associated with that rag. That's why no-one bought it, that's why it went under. You can blame it on the recession all you want, you can say what a terrible tragedy it was, but ultimatey there's a reason why the voice is gone and the people is still here. And it's not a pro-people conspiracy.
    ...We all have...
    Dont drag us down to your level. I know what conclusion i've drawn from this, and i drew it from posts #15 and #19. Your little personal jabs at Angus.
    Firetrap wrote: »
    It's just another paper that's gone up against the might of the Kilkenny People and lost. It seems to be very difficult to get people to change the local newspaper they read.
    The kilkenny people isn't some giant, evil corporation.It's in the same market as the voice was. And it's still here, whereas the voice isnt, because it is better.

Yes, it's horrible that 12 people have lost their jobs. No-one is disputing this (no matter what purry is trying to say on our behalf). But it's no more horrible than the 2000 jobs to be lost in the dell plant in limerick. Or the 400 lost in Cork with ispat.
    So unless you intend to fight for "the cause" of all those people too,please refrain from using feelings towards unemployment as an argueing tool against angus, nightwish, messiah etc.

Spoonbadger,

We're not yet into the second week of January, but for self-righteousness and pomposity yours is a post that I suspect won't be beaten all year. Congrats!

Some comments below.

Since when are you the judge/jury/executioner of internet morality?. Angus should not have to admit he was thoughtless. Angus like the rest of us (and sadly people like you) is entitled to his opinion. Freedom of speech. Without that there would have been no "voice" in the first place.

Why is it "sad" that people like me should be entitled to an opinion, pray tell? I never said Angus wasn't entitled to his opinion. I never even said he wasn't entitled to gloat. What I did say was that he shouldn't have gloated, particularly as the closure led to job losses. Sorry for not realising I wasn't allowed do this.

The voice (like any other business) is kept afloat by providing goods, or services, which are needed/wanted by the public. The higher the quality of goods/services, the more demand there will be. And quality was not something that was associated with that rag. That's why no-one bought it, that's why it went under. You can blame it on the recession all you want, you can say what a terrible tragedy it was, but ultimatey there's a reason why the voice is gone and the people is still here. And it's not a pro-people conspiracy.

Spare me the lesson in pseudo-economics. The real reason the Voice went was because the company expanded too far too fast. By the end of 2006 there were two Voices, Kilkenny and Laois. By the end of 2007 there was something like nine Voices all over the country. It was crazy, reckless and shortsighted. Start-up costs far exceeded the money that was coming in. Says a lot about the idiots in charge, doesn't it? That's why the various Voices began to close one by one in 2008, with Kilkenny the last one. The Voice went under not solely - or even largely - because it couldn't support itself but because the other papers in the company dragged it down.

Dont drag us down to your level. I know what conclusion i've drawn from this, and i drew it from posts #15 and #19. Your little personal jabs at Angus.

So what conclusion did you draw from somebody saying that he thought/hoped Angus was joking in saying that the closure of the Voice was "like the best Christmas present ever"? And what conclusion did you draw from somebody else calling Angus "a clown", "a troll" and a 14-year-old? I'd be interested to hear. Do you intend taking up the cudgels against everybody who's dissed poor defenceless Angus here?

The kilkenny people isn't some giant, evil corporation.It's in the same market as the voice was. And it's still here, whereas the voice isnt, because it is better.

Much too simplistic, as I've already shown. Kilkenny people (small p!) will always buy the People because they always have. It's a tradition, a reflex. A rival paper could be much better, which the Voice wasn't (and be a happier place to work in, which the Voice certainly wasn't either - ask any of the younger staff), and it still wouldn't displace the People. Also, because the People is part of a large - if not giant and evil - corporation, it will always have the resources. The People is still here not because of quality but because it's the People - and always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TradMick84

I will miss the voice only for one thing... starting my fire.
    'Write on Rhatigan' was possible the worst case of literary scutter i have ever read... more like 'Ride on Rhatigan'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Steady on! I wasn't saying for one second that the Kilkenny People is evil. I believe competition is good and that people should have a choice of newspapers. I've heard stories of how hard it is to get things printed in the People or to get a photographer to come out and take photos of events and stuff.

Competition is good. It keeps everyone on their toes. As it turns out, the Voice wasn't up to the task (I too agree that it was a rag) but it would be nice to be able to walk into a newsagent on a Wednesday and not have just the Kilkenny People on the rack.

TradMick84 wrote: »
    I will miss the voice only for one thing... starting my fire.
    'Write on Rhatigan' was possible the worst case of literary scutter i have ever read... more like 'Ride on Rhatigan'!

Or "****e on, Rhatigan"... Couldn't agree with you more. The great man will be missed only by masochists and/or students of very bad journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The People is still here not because of quality but because it's the People - and always will be.[/quote]

I enjoy reading the People. For a regional paper it's good, compared to others I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TradMick84

in fairness to the voice though it had a good section of what was going on in kilkenny, as in the events guide... however, thats as far i'm goin in the gratitudes department!
    the paper was also very good for stuffing your wet soccer boots to stop them going out of shape.. Nike say that stuffing your boots with a poxy regional newspaper helps them last 10% longer.... staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Spoonbadger,

We're not yet into the second week of January, but for self-righteousness and pomposity yours is a post that I suspect won't be beaten all year. Congrats!

Please dont resort to petty sarcasm. It's not helpful.
    Why is it "sad" that people like me should be entitled to an opinion, pray tell? I never said Angus wasn't entitled to his opinion. I never even said he wasn't entitled to gloat. What I did say was that he shouldn't have gloated, particularly as the closure led to job losses. Sorry for not realising I wasn't allowed do this.

It's sad because you've used it to belittle others.

Spare me the lesson in pseudo-economics. The real reason the Voice went was because the company expanded too far too fast. By the end of 2006 there were two Voices, Kilkenny and Laois. By the end of 2007 there was something like nine Voices all over the country. It was crazy, reckless and shortsighted. Start-up costs far exceeded the money that was coming in. Says a lot about the idiots in charge, doesn't it?.

Sorry you're right there actually. That was due to bad business policies but it doesnt mean that there wasnt quality issues too. Take a look at the comments here, or listen to just about anyone in KK. The voice wasn't highly thought of. You yourself have even pointed out jim rhatigan's writing faults :o.
    So what conclusion did you draw from somebody saying that he thought/hoped Angus was joking in saying that the closure of the Voice was "like the best Christmas present ever"? And what conclusion did you draw from somebody else calling Angus "a clown", "a troll" and a 14-year-old? I'd be interested to hear.

I would think that whoever disagreed with the "christmas present" comment needs to learn the meaning of the word exageration. And whoever used the words "clown", "troll" and "14-year-old" needs to get over himself, spend less time on WoW and more in the real world. Anyone can be condescending on an internet forum, rather than make a point. That's pretty low.
    Do you intend taking up the cudgels against everybody who's dissed poor defenceless Angus here?

Do you intend to fight for every individual who's lost their job? ;).
    Much too simplistic, as I've already shown.

As you've already shown?.Through your extensive scientific research? :).

We should probably end this. We're (me included!) turning this thread into a miny flame war, largely because of one comment. Agree to disagree? :o.

• Advertisement

Totally! And a big up to you for taking the first step. Am not even sure we disagree all that much about most of what's come up on this thread, you know!

Thanks.

Advertisement