Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can people tell me about these ethernet power socket things?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an ad for them in Aldi or Lidl.

basically you can plug one into a power socket near the router (it has an ethernet slot) and then you plug the other one in anywhere in the house and you can get a connection (wired) from it. It is said to be safer than wireless and faster as it is a wired connection.

I am thinking of buying one-has anyone any experience or info on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I have a pair of Netgear ones at home myself to link my HTPC to the network. Works a treat. Get about 8-10Mb/s transfer rates between the two computers and can stream high-def videos from my nas.

Basically they use the copper electricity wires as a network cable. The reliability is very dependant on the wiring in your house. A friend got the exact same one as me and it just wouldn't work for him at all. Gave his set to my sister and she had no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just want the option to use a Laptop or games console in another room without the use of wires.

I can't get my wireless router to work and I believe this woul be quicker anyway.

Sorry to hear that the wiring in your house is important. I have no idea what its like.

Any idea what I should be paying for a set of them? I would love a set with 3 plugs by the way. Have you found the brand to be important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

noodler wrote: »
    Any idea what I should be paying for a set of them? I would love a set with 3 plugs by the way. Have you found the brand to be important?

For gaming it should be fine as long as the throughput is enough. Another friend had issues with Netgear ones but a different brand worked perfectly. Not sure what he's using now. You buy them in sets of 2 but you can have more than two on the same network - you just give them the same network details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Macros42 wrote: »
    For gaming it should be fine as long as the throughput is enough. Another friend had issues with Netgear ones but a different brand worked perfectly. Not sure what he's using now. You buy them in sets of 2 but you can have more than two on the same network - you just give them the same network details.

You don't have to buy them in sets of 2 but obviously to get started you need 2

I have seen single units for sale so that you can expand the network

I personally use D-link ones (that run at 200Mbps) and they work a treat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you have a link to the ones you got?

Advertisement