Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check the price on UK websites!

Options
  • 18-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Just a warning.

Be sure to check & double check the price on any goods you buy from a UK website.

I have had my eye on a new camera for a few weeks from a UK supplier and it was priced up at £3995, I had a look at the site today and the price has gone up by £200.

I phoned the supplier asking why the price had risen (it wasn't a sale item) and I was told that because of the low exchange rate for sterling they were forced to increase some prices for goods that they import from Japan or other European suppliers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

keefg wrote: »
    Just a warning.

Be sure to check & double check the price on any goods you buy from a UK website.

I have had my eye on a new camera for a few weeks from a UK supplier and it was priced up at £3995, I had a look at the site today and the price has gone up by £200.

I phoned the supplier asking why the price had risen (it wasn't a sale item) and I was told that because of the low exchange rate for sterling they were forced to increase some prices for goods that they import from Japan or other European suppliers.

What camera was £4k? The 5% increase is minimal as new stock is going to be 30% more expensive come January.

In fairness, one UK retailer with a website is selling goods back to Japanese customers.

Importers and Distributors are generally billed in US dollars or Japanese yen so with sterling in freefall it's hardly surprising the items are going to be more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

What camera was £4k? The 5% increase is minimal as new stock is going to be 30% more expensive come January.

In fairness, one UK retailer with a website is selling goods back to Japanese customers.

Importers and Distributors are generally billed in US dollars or Japanese yen so with sterling in freefall it's hardly surprising the items are going to be more expensive

The camera is a Sony EX1.

I am not saying that UK suppliers are wrong to increase their prices, after all, all businesses need to make money.

I am just advising people to be aware of possible price changes on items they have been looking at buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

keefg wrote: »
    I am not saying that UK suppliers are wrong to increase their prices, after all, all businesses need to make money.

I am just advising people to be aware of possible price changes on items they have been looking at buying.

That applies, and always did, to any purchases being made; be they via a Web Site or not. Prices have always fluctuated, you know. Would you not always check that a price has remained the same a couple of weeks after your first enquiries?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Prices have always fluctuated, you know. Would you not always check that a price has remained the same a couple of weeks after your first enquiries?
    :confused:

I have been monitoring this product for a good few weeks now on a selection of sites. None of the other site have increased their prices on this product (yet).

And as for price fluctuation, the price of cameras and other technology would normally go down the longer the product is on the market or as new models are introduced. I haven't heard of any camera gear rising in price before, I never buy my gear when it is new to the market but always wait a while as the price drops.

Unfortunately it looks like this will change when Sony (and possibly others) increase their prices next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Sony made a statement a few weeks ago that they will increase their prices by up to 30% in the UK in the new year. They blame the weak pound.

If you look at the actual price converted to Euro, I doubt you are not doing too bad. You get a lot more £ for your € than you did a month or two ago.

Boo

• Advertisement
Advertisement