Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade laptop - lose warranty?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

i want to upgrade my Dell laptop's ram to 4gb. I can do this myself but i read somewhere that dell requires an authorised dell technician to do this( or something like that). Is this true? If i do upgrade it myself will i lose the warranty?
    Does this include losing the 3 year next business day support that I got when buyin the laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Give them a quick ring to be sure. But i cant imagien it voiding your warrenty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With my dell laptop I got a guide telling me how to upgrade the hard drive and ram so I can't see how it would void the warranty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Stickers covering the screwholes of whatever backpanel on the Dell that needs removal to get access to the RAM is usually a giveaway. If there are none I seriously doubt Dell cares, unless you manage to accidentally impale the laptop's guts on a screwdriver or something equally unlikely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

ok thanks for the replies guys, guess i'll just upgrade it so. i'll just hope i'll never have any reason to need the warranty in the first place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It won't invalidate the warranty. Upgrading parts like CPU/GPU/and so on would do so but that's a completely different ball park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement