Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the Future (next 5years) of Broadband in Ireland

Options
  • 18-12-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Dunno if this has been posted here before, had a quick look but no matches!

Anyways im wondering what the future of broadband is in the next 5 or so years. I know the capacity at the mo for most exchanges is 24mbps, im on a 24mbps connection but im only getting 8mb out of it due to it being far away... Is the near future gonna be building more exchanges or upgrading the cables in order to increase capacity?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys

Dunno if this has been posted here before, had a quick look but no matches!

Anyways im wondering what the future of broadband is in the next 5 or so years. I know the capacity at the mo for most exchanges is 24mbps, im on a 24mbps connection but im only getting 8mb out of it due to it being far away... Is the near future gonna be building more exchanges or upgrading the cables in order to increase capacity?

Sorry to say that the capacity for the majority of exchanges would be somewhere between 7-12...some dont even have broadband....im also sorry to say that network infrastuctural work is not really getting done at the moment...i dont think anyone is even talking about rolling out fibre nationwide.

Untill this whole "no money" situation is cleared up i dont know if anyone is gonna be talking big whenn its comes to rollouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only Cable, Fibre and some wireless will give much more coverage. DSL could have lower contention, but it's never going to be much faster or available to much more of the population than today. The higher speeds are only 800m or less from exchange. Most people are more than 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think fibre to the home & fibre to the cabinet are doable certainly in new developents and possibly to large existing developments. More political will and private investment is needed, along with smart moves like taking advantage of the fibre the ESB has which is virtually unnused in areas (from the horses mouth) and the mans should be available for use by anyone at reasonable prices. I have seen the magnet FTTH developments and the bandwidth provided is truely next gen.

Some ISP's are tinkering with line bonding for faster residential connections, so DSL may have some life in it (48 m/bit trial in the UK at the moment and existing trials in Belgium / Holland). Cable is providing fast connections with newer revisions of the docsis standard. It's not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Praetorian wrote: »
    Some ISP's are tinkering with line bonding for faster residential connections ... It's not all doom and gloom.

It is when any significant number of users expect a 2nd line to bond (given the exchange capacities, and high carrier/split line rates, even in urban areas)!

cgarvey wrote: »
    It is when any significant number of users expect a 2nd line to bond (given the exchange capacities, and high carrier/split line rates, even in urban areas)!

how expensive is a spare path? whats involved? do most houses already have spare paths ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm aware of two lines in my house but I'm not sure how many are usually put in houses when they are built. I think a single line will continue to be the way the net is delivered for the majority of home users for the next 5-10 years, but a small minority who are willing to pay for the extra speed (extra line) will take advantage of bonding. This is assuming of course that the technology works reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Rorser wrote: »
    how expensive is a spare path? whats involved? do most houses already have spare paths ready?

The same as the first path (which would be the standard wholesale rate for LLU for most uses, presumably). CPE that supports bonding, and the same at the DSLAM end. Most have 2 pairs, but the 2nd pair is rarely connected to anything further than the local pole (rural areas), or street cab (urban areas). It's the pair required from there back to the exchange that'll be the fun part if bonded DSL was to take off in any meaningful way (which it probably won't).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Belgium and Holland are going for Universal VDSL2+ and Semi Universal Fibre through Reggefiber , respectively.

Completion by 2012. At that stage we will have Universal Satellite Broadband through the NBS. Sure aren't we great :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Belgium and Holland are going for Universal VDSL2+ and Semi Universal Fibre through Reggefiber , respectively.

Completion by 2012. At that stage we will have Universal Satellite Broadband through the NBS. Sure aren't we great :(

I think im gonna cry:(

actually is ther any info online about that universal sat broadband in 2012?

Advertisement