Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Shopping arcade closed

Options
  • 18-12-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

and aparantly it has been since 9pm last night, posters up out side stating due to technical reason beyond our control,

:confused:

did hear a reason, but would not like to say to much without links or proof, but i was told it was after the fire officer called

anyone else hear this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Heard the same.

Apparently there were exits that were blocked or partially blocked.

Who knows!

It will have hurt them though considering the time of year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i was told a fire inspecter was in last night and found a few serious faults

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gillie wrote: »
    Heard the same.

Apparently there were exits that were blocked or partially blocked.

Who knows!

It will have hurt them though considering the time of year!

absouluty, not just them though, the news agents, the travel agents and the bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

no truth to the rumor it was a fire officer from enniskillen:p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Apparently some water sprinklers in the roof were leaking... *

* may or may not be true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

OceanFM has an item on the closure but it is short on specifics.

"The Tesco arcade in Sligo remains closed this evening. The entire arcade was shut down last night just before 7 o clock by the Chief Fire Officer under the Fire Services Act. In a statement to Ocean fm this morning , the county council stated that The chief fire officer is obliged to inspect public buildings to ensure they conform with fire safety regulations and that he has met with senior management of Tesco and is awaiting their proposals in relation to provisions of the Fire safety act 1981 and 2003. A spokesperson for Sligo County Council informed Ocean fm news this evening that they are still awaiting a response from the company and as a consequence, the arcade remains closed this evening."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I bet the shops are gutted, this near Christmas.

Its a very grubby looking arcade though, so I would be surprised if there were faults found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It was open again around 8pm. Lots of guys up ladders drilling etc.

I went in for milk. I came out with a trolley load of fresh flowers and plants. :D
    They were selling bouquets for €3.75 reduced from €20 - they were still perfect. I got €80 worth for €18. Take that Tesco with your world dominating ways!

wonder will their CDs and DVDs be any cheeper

:rolleyes:

more news on the closure, and reopening, here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

irish-stew wrote: »
    more news on the closure, and reopening, here

Thanks. I expected to see a statement on the County Council website but nothing there: so much for open government.

just in there earlier, not clear what they have done to meet the demands, but contracters and step ladders about, they seem to be doing quite a bit of re wiring, several fire marshals wondering about as well

plus not sure if a planned campaign, or following loss of business yesterday, but they have 20% on all purchases with your clubcard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I heard it was something to do with the sprinkler system leaking water onto some electrical cables.

Good work, the place is an absolute kip. Dingy mingin place and there are more holes in the floor than in cartron (or the way cartron used to be anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Awful awful place. It is horrid inside and is in dire need of a make-over. They should put screaming signs along the whole walk through from both entrances. "Please run and scream in either direction while coming in or going out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Planning was recently granted for a new € 80 million shopping centre to replace it, with car parking for 1000 cars, and Tesco, Dunnes + Pennys as anchor tennants. Yippee ! Sooner it happens the better.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Planning was recently granted for a new € 80 million shopping centre to replace it, with car parking for 1000 cars, and Tesco, Dunnes + Pennys as anchor tennants. Yippee ! Sooner it happens the better.

Don't hold your breath - we have been waiting TEN years for something to happen; it could easily take another ten for this centre to see the light. It could be the Inner Relief Road Mark II - yesterday's plan built for tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Two fire wardens were in the arcade today with loud speakers....must be just incase.
    There were people putting in fire alarms as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Essexboy wrote: »
    it could easily take another ten for this centre to see the light.
    Maybe, maybe not. If everyone pulled together it would work. What the town needs is a major attraction in its centre, anchored by the like of a new, state of the art Tesco, Dunnes and Pennys, and 1000 car parking spaces. This is what the multi storey complex ( which planning permission has been granted for ) is. The other coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, speciality shops, hotels, bus + train station etc will compliment it and vice versa. Because the huge multi-storey car park will feed almost directly off the inner relief road, traffic disruption will be kept to a minimum. Its what Sligo needs badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Maybe, maybe not. If everyone pulled together it would work. What the town needs is a major attraction in its centre, anchored by the like of a new, state of the art Tesco, Dunnes and Pennys, and 1000 car parking spaces. This is what the multi storey complex ( which planning permission has been granted for ) is. The other coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, speciality shops, hotels, bus + train station etc will compliment it and vice versa. Because the huge multi-storey car park will feed almost directly off the inner relief road, traffic disruption will be kept to a minimum. Its what Sligo needs badly.

sorry but I dont think sligo will ever be more then a reginal town for a quick shop. dont think a tesco in the center will do that, I prefer to go to one outside a town center, so I have no trouble going there and park. only then I might go into town center to buy something, not that there is anything to buy in sligo, I always come back dissapointed and empty handed. After that I order on the net or go to a eral city or to the north. I think its really good so many people go to the north. maybe sligo wakes up and see they had missed opportunnity's with a big tesco and other shop at the edge. I know that you are against that because you live in town but we from outside are in favour ad I dont see why we cant have both

sorry but I dont think sligo will ever be more then a reginal town for a quick shop. dont think a tesco in the center will do that, I prefer to go to one outside a town center, so I have no trouble going there and park. only then I might go into town center to buy something, not that there is anything to buy in sligo, I always come back dissapointed and empty handed. After that I order on the net or go to a eral city or to the north. I think its really good so many people go to the north. maybe sligo wakes up and see they had missed opportunnity's with a big tesco and other shop at the edge. I know that you are against that because you live in town but we from outside are in favour ad I dont see why we cant have both

I live in town and I agree with you. Hate going into the place, it has nothing, and the nothing it has is overpriced

Not going to happen. Have you not read the other thread about shops closing? We can't even keep the retailers that we have nevermind spending millions we don't have one something we can't make profitable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What the hell is a Tesco Shopping arcade, if you dont mind me asking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's a poorly maintained hallway open at both ends to the elements with shops on one side and a run down, barely stocked Tesco on the other.

The whole thing should be bulldozed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why the term "arcade" though?

Ah, I suppose it makes Tesco's feel like its something important when its not.

Or, according to dictionary.com
    'its an arched or covered passageway, usually with shops on each side.'

Could be it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Awful Tesco, Conways Newsagent, O'Hehirs Bakery, Budget Travel...Hardly a shopping utopia. Your right Xiney. Needs a major overhaul.

DenMan wrote: »
    Awful Tesco, Conways Newsagent, O'Hehirs Bakery, Budget Travel...Hardly a shopping utopia. Your right Xiney. Needs a major overhaul.

To be fair to Tesco they have tried to move out but the County Council veto out of town shopping centres. The Chamber of Commerce are more important than the Plain People!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Essexboy wrote: »
    To be fair to Tesco they have tried to move out but the County Council veto out of town shopping centres. The Chamber of Commerce are more important than the Plain People!

True true

However they did buy Quinnsworths as an act of revenge

and they did leave the chamber in a bit of trouble when they moved out of Cranmore Road fado fado

Advertisement