Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long is the drive to Dublin?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I'm driving to Dublin tomorrow and I'm thinking about going to Galway first to pick up friends - it all depends on whether the route is any quicker or slower than the drive from Limerick.
    So on a Friday afternoon-Evening how long would it take to get to Dublin from Galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

About 2h 40mins, depending on what time you leave at. Could be less. I did it in 2h 15mins before on a good day.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well Galway to Athlone is about 1hr 10mins (with moderate traffic) but that can easily go to 1hr 30mins with bad traffic, and 2 hrs if you leave Galway between 2pm and 6pm (I think).

Dublin then is a bit over an hour on the Motorway. So 2.20hrs is do-able.

Being the weekend before christmas you never know. Leave early, or leave late, you'll be sitting in traffic otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm driving to Dublin tomorrow and I'm thinking about going to Galway first to pick up friends - it all depends on whether the route is any quicker or slower than the drive from Limerick.
    So on a Friday afternoon-Evening how long would it take to get to Dublin from Galway?

Galway-Dublin is 3.5 hours if you keep to the speed limits and take a 30minute rest/break in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wills56

2 hours 45 minute Galway Dun Laoghaire, and keeping at the speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Friday afternoon is a bad time really, as you'll get caught up in the traffic driving home from work leaving the city and onto the smaller towns. the average drive to Dublin would usually be anywhere between 2 and a half to three hours depending on luck really. but i would say leaving at that time of the day would add an extra half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

215 Km...ish

paulhannon wrote: »
    215 Km...ish
    Using google maps eh?

They dont have the new motorway in AFAIK, so it would be a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Using google maps eh?

They dont have the new motorway in AFAIK, so it would be a bit less.

More, the new road is a longer route...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to Tommy Tiernan: 11 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Last time I drove to Dublin from Galway it took less than 2 and a half hours (and that's including a 10 minute toilet stop). This was at night so no traffic but this was also before the Kilbeggan-Athlone Motorway opened so I guess 2 and a half hours during the day now wouldn't be impossible. Galway City and Ballinasloe would probably be where the main delays would occur now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I love it when you get stuck behind someone sticking at 80 from Athlone to Oranmore roundabout. Puts me in a great mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Did it a while ago and it took us 2 hours 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Oranmore to Hilton in Malahide - Best ever was 1:55 before the Moate bypass and including a stop in ballinasloe to get change for the tolls (ashamedly fast)

With the new bypass etc its about 2.15 mins (depends from where you're leaving from and how bad the m50 works are).

I make the Galway Athlone trip quite a bit and usually find it works out at 1 hour even regardless of traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

po0k wrote: »
    I love it when you get stuck behind someone sticking at 80 from Athlone to Oranmore roundabout. Puts me in a great mood.
    There needs to be a gap poked in the firearms legislation to deal with this. Waving a shotgun out the window would have them moving over fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Try someone sticking at 60 from Oranmore to Loughrea on a Sat afternoon with no chance to overtake with oncoming traffic :D

More, the new road is a longer route...
    Meh, longer route is still bet by 120km/hr speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Try someone sticking at 60 from Oranmore to Loughrea on a Sat afternoon with no chance to overtake with oncoming traffic :D

What's wrong with someone doing 60? (mph I presume you mean)

That's the speed limit after all (well 62mph /100kph to be exact)

It's the ones going 50mph approx which cause tailbacks and lead to dangerous overtaking, that's who I get frustrated by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

damalo wrote: »
    I make the Galway Athlone trip quite a bit and usually find it works out at 1 hour even regardless of traffic.

Good to know that. I have to go to Athlone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

2h15min this morning from knocknacarra to park west. Have seen that at 3hours before.

Once your on the motorway its grand. Its getting stuck behind the likes of pook between Galway and Athlone is a pain in the ass :P

You wouldn't be stuck behind me :)

Slow drivers are lethal on that road though, sod-all stretches of road on which you can overtake while being able to see far enough ahead, and chances are there'll be oncoming traffic 60% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Slow drivers are lethal on that road though, sod-all stretches of road on which you can overtake while being able to see far enough ahead, and chances are there'll be oncoming traffic 60% of the time.

Slow drivers are rarely lethal.

'Tis the impatient ones behind them who are lethal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Slow drivers are rarely lethal.
    If you're lacking the confidence to hit 100kmph on that stretch when conditions are good, driving probably isn't for you. Moreover, if you can't look in your mirrors and see a stream of cars behind you and not think to move in slightly, you're driving in a semi-autistic state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You wouldn't be stuck behind me :)

The little red yoke has been put to bed! The new yoke aint as fast, comfy yes, but just not as fast

Robbo wrote: »
    If you're lacking the confidence to hit 100kmph on that stretch when conditions are good, driving probably isn't for you. Moreover, if you can't look in your mirrors and see a stream of cars behind you and not think to move in slightly, you're driving in a semi-autistic state.

QFT

Advertisement