Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Fued kicking off again?

• 18-12-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Both today..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1218/waterford1.html
    Shots fired at houses in Waterford
    Thursday, 18 December 2008 15:46

Gardaí in Waterford are investigating two separate shooting incidents in Waterford city in the last 24 hours.

Shots were also fired at a house in St John's Park at around 2.30pm this afternoon.

Five people were in the house at the time, but no-one was injured and there was no damage caused to the house.
    Advertisement

It is also alleged that shots were fired in the Williamstown area of the city at 8pm last night.

Gardaí are also investigating a petrol bomb attack on a house in Briar Close in Templars Hall at around 12.30am this morning.

It is understood the device was thrown through the patio door of the house and gardaí say some fire damage was caused.

Gardaí believe these incidents are connected with an ongoing dispute between a small number of Travellers in Waterford.

and
    Ponies attacked in Waterford feud
    Thursday, 18 December 2008 15:55

Two ponies have been put down after being attacked in what is believed to be a feud-related incident in Waterford.

Gardaí are investigating the attack, which took place in the Williamstown area of the city early this morning.

The two ponies received deep slash wounds to their legs.
    Advertisement

It is understood one of the back legs of one of the ponies was completely severed in the attack.

A horse discovered in the Ballybeg estate in the city last night with similar injuries also had to be put down.

Traveller organisations in Waterford and Dublin have strongly criticised the attacks on the three animals.

Pavee Point and the Waterford Travellers Support Group say they are unequivocal in their condemnation of the incidents.

They have called for anybody with information to contact the gardaí in Waterford and added that the attacks mark a new low in the long-running conflict.

I bet any sympathy gained after the PrimeTime show is well and truley gone now..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd probably not agree with the concept of burning folks but it's so wrong that law abiding, tax paying citizens have to pay for the lifestyles of people like those involved in the feud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

here we go again, !!! and i aint talking about the feud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

oh daddy me pony whats wrong with him daddy :( lol

poor ponies heard about this in work today..

You might have to pack your bags there 2k as well lol..

ibtl

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Getting bad when its not even safe for donkeys.....I remember when I was young the donkeys walked the streets of Waterford with out a care in the world...ahh..the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Political correctness regarding travellers needs to stop...It's time to deal with these savage incidents without trying to avoid insulting the community who carries them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Political correctness regarding travellers needs to stop...It's time to deal with these savage incidents without trying to avoid insulting the community who carries them out
    You can do that on some other discussion forum if you wish but you wont do it here.

One post has been deleted and one person banned and I will have no hesitation in issuing more bans if posts are in breach of the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Poor horses.. It's digusting they would involve them in it. The law needs to come down FIRM on those responsible for this nonsense. The travelling community needs to assist the an gardaí in anyway possible. It's time to put an end to this nonsense.

muffler wrote: »
    You can do that on some other discussion forum if you wish but you wont do it here.

One post has been deleted and one person banned and I will have no hesitation in issuing more bans if posts are in breach of the charter.

How does one discuss the fact that people are sawing off ponies legs? By being complimentary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's not the travellers fault, its the Irish Justice systems fault for failing to deal with this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

all it will take is for some person who has nothing to do with it to get a belt of a car or somthing and thats the end of the travellers

I dont care what they do to each other and neither do most people but soon enough they'll do to them what happens in most gang incidents around the world and that will be that ::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

How does one discuss the fact that people are sawing off ponies legs? By being complimentary?
    I suppose that one would have to state first that only a small number of the community are doing this and the rest of the community abhor these actions etc , etc, discrimination, etc , poor housing etc, lack of education etc, their graet love of animals ( obviously their own and not other peoples judging by this mornings acts of violence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It's really gotten beyond a joke at this stage. Time to stop the PC BS and for all concerned (travellers themselves and their various advocacy groups, gardai, judiciary, councils, etc etc) to cop the hell on and actually sort things out.

Wonder if it will take an innocent kid being burned to death in a house that was targeted in error to inspire some action. Seems it will take something tragic like that to actually kick everyone into seriously tackling the problem.

The community didn't carry them out, members within it did. Nothing to do with political correctness, but not all the travellers are involved in this. Infact, it's a minority of them.

But the travelling community itself needs to start looking at incidents like this and ensuring that the Gardaí have full co-operation in order to deal with those responsible.

I think we're all sick to death of this feud by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

its terrible that this is still left go on , and i feel really sorry for the innocent people living in these area's, Gardai are not handling the suitation at all..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you cant take part in a civilised discussion without throwing offensive terms about the place, suggesting certain illegal action be taken against them etc. then you really have no place on a discussion board for heated debates or discussions. Stick with the charter and the site rules and nobody will have any problems - the majority of users of this forum can.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone has further questions send one of the mods a PM. Lets not drag the thread off topic.

I cant see where the thread has gone off topic appart from one or two offensive comments ( why not delelte them!??) , the rest of what everyone said can be taken into account, i dont get what your saying, is it that we cant voice our opinion on the matter?? cause thats what is looking like to me

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

How the hell would you even go about chopping the leg off a pony. How could ya actually bring yourself to do it. Its disgusting.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

emo!! wrote: »
    I cant see where the thread has gone off topic appart from one or two offensive comments ( why not delelte them!??) , the rest of what everyone said can be taken into account, i dont get what your saying, is it that we cant voice our opoinion on the matter?? cause thats what is looking like to me

Re-Read what I said. I think you know what to do :)

i read it perfectably fine thanks, but what exactly are we ment to say in here, not via pm, give our 2 cents on the matter ( without being offensive about there culture i may ad) or just keep quiet in the fear of pissing a mod off??

Well im only going to say this once, even though I asked all further questions be taken to PM but I guess you dont want to for some reason.

Discussion is allowed, has and always will be as long as it remains civilised, peaceful and within the charter/site rules. Most discussions are fine, as is this, but some people insist on refusing to discuss it without stupid comments. Hence why people get banned in these type of threads.

To be fair, if we didnt want you discussing it this thread and all the others would be locked by now ;)

As per forum charter..
    If you feel the need to go insulting the travelling community in Waterford, certain areas of Waterford, or certain people in Waterford (Add your own minorities to this list), whether it be using derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like, please expect a swift banning from the forum. We will notify you when your ban is to be up. (See "Note 2" for clarification)
    Note 2:- We understand that discussion of travellers can be a very touchy subject, which is why we ask for calm and common sense when posting. Terms such as pikeys, knackers, knick-knacks and the likes are deemed offensive and the use of such terms derail a thread into a bitch fest between anti-travellers and those defending them. The same is said to those who suggest that travellers should be all killed etc. To avoid this, we ask that when discussing them please just refer to them as "travellers" or "members of the travelling community". Discussion is not banned, but the use of stupid comments is banned. Thanks for your understanding.

If that STILL fails to clarify... then I cant do much else for you im afraid.

Lets get back to the discussion at hand anyway :)

• Advertisement

The Criminal Justice system is failing no doubt, but a good point was made on primetime last week by an Enniscorthy Town Cllr. It has gotten to a stage where people don't view the disruptive element within the community as being a minority anymore. This element is, by and far, viewed by most as the significant proportion of the community. I'd argue that the non-violent members of the community bear the same responsibility through their inaction, as the ones carrying out the violence in this feud.

Equally, an indifference shown my a member of the community is just not good enough and this eye for an eye attitude needs to be erradicated.This won't happen until people recognise that the travellers have to help themselves before the settled community can help them. It's easier for them to cry discrimination and not being allowed integrate etc...but the onus should be on them to prove they're worthy of our respect...With this sort of terrorism I refuse to have any respect for them at present. As a result I don't think we should be so soft in our approach of dealing with them.

They are not above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The people who carried out these attacks are to me on the same level as the gang members in Limerick and Dublin, the lowest of the low.

I have know many members of the travelling community from when I lived in Dublin, had a couple of traveller families living on the same street, genuinely, nice people and would help you out if they could...
    the people who are involved in this feud should be thought of as long the same lines as the gang members in Dublin and Limerick( i.e you don't think everyone in limerick is a gang gun toting *&*^% or not everyone in ballybeg is a "scum"), they are in the minority in the travelling community and as such are basically gangs... and thats the way the law should deal with them.
    Just cause they are part of a minority group, doesn't give them any special standing, in court or on discussion boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

robtri wrote: »
    The people who carried out these attacks are to me on the same level as the gang members in Limerick and Dublin,

Nah they're not... Involving animals in it?! Drug dealers killing other drug dealers, only problem I'd have is the possibility of bystanders getting in the way... Hacking the leg off a horse??? Way WAY worse...

People defend the "travelling community", saying, it's the minority blah blah blah

It's a close knit community and it's not only the minority who knows who did this, in fact I'd say the vast majority do.... Until the community hang the minority out to dry noone can or should have any respect for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

elusiveguy wrote: »

It's a close knit community and it's not only the minority who knows who did this, in fact I'd say the vast majority do.... Until the community hang the minority out to dry noone can or should have any respect for them

So do you have no respect for the people living in Limerick in the area's where the gangs are doing what they want, the community know who they are as well, but yet they are terrified of the consequences of what would happen to them and their familes if they talked to the gaurds about who is responsible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Robtri is speaking sense ,personally i would have the traveler community ( at this stage you all think am going to say something racist ;)) delisted as some sort of ethnic minority .I personally think people are afraid to say what they feel about the situtation as it might not be pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1219/waterford.html
    Shots fired at Waterford house
    Friday, 19 December 2008 10:50

A house in Waterford has received minor damage following a shooting incident in the city.

Gardaí say two shots were fired at a house in the Birchwood estate at around 1.30am.

A number of people were in the house at the time but no-one was injured. Some damage was caused to a front bedroom window of the house.
    Advertisement

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses who may have seen two cars been driven away from the scene.

This latest shooting follows similar incidents in the Williamstown and St John's Park area of the city earlier in the week.

It is understood this latest shooting is also related to the ongoing Traveller feud.

Holy mackamoly!

Advertisement