Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming competition Harbour House

• 18-12-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I believe there is an upcoming target shooting competition in Harbour House on the 27th and 28th of December. I have recently joined the club and I'm interested taking part. Are there any organisers on the forum I can ask a few questions or does anyone know who I should contact? Thanks.

K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They usually post details in the Upcoming Competitions thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Call Tommy or John - they'll have all the details.

B'Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Lads, have ye taken part in competitions before? Just wondering what the format is? Are there differing shooting distances or time limits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

Bit of confusion here - There's no scheduled shoot for that weekend, but range will be open, closed XMAS day (unless someone gets something really cool from Santa and wants to try it out!)

• Advertisement

Bit of confusion here - There's no scheduled shoot for that weekend, but range will be open, closed XMAS day (unless someone gets something really cool from Santa and wants to try it out!)

That was the info I got from Tommy at Harbour House. Had a look on Target Shooting Ireland site and didn't see the date listed there. Hence, one thread posted :)

K

Target Shooting Ireland is the NTSA website K, Harbour House matches wouldn't be up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

Next competition will be 24th of Jan. but might have a WA1500 before that (date to be decided). We'll post upcomming competitions on boards, our own website and notice board in club house.

Sparks wrote: »
    Target Shooting Ireland is the NTSA website K, Harbour House matches wouldn't be up there.

Sorry Sparks, as a total newb can you explain why that is? Are HH affiliated with a different shooting organisation?

I'm not sure who they're affiliated to, but they're not affiliated to the NTSA (and don't shoot ISSF events) so they wouldn't be on the NTSA calendar is all K; it'd be like looking on the IRFU calendar for PGA events :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

it'd be like looking on the IRFU calendar for PGA events :D

Or more like looking for Slipknot tickets on the Celine Dion website. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would have thought more Mozart v Slipknot myself G17 ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I would have thought more Mozart v Slipknot myself G17 ;):D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm not sure who they're affiliated to, but they're not affiliated to the NTSA (and don't shoot ISSF events) so they wouldn't be on the NTSA calendar is all K; it'd be like looking on the IRFU calendar for PGA events :D

Ha ha I see. Well I've been shooting a .22 Smith & Wesson sporting pistol at paper targets at HH. When Tommy told me there was a competition coming up on the 27th I assumed it was for that type of shooting.

Not a daft assumption K, you could shoot an ISSF match with a .22 like that; it's just that HH don't run any and the NTSA folks tend to use something a bit more accurate to get a better chance in the match. But if you want to give it a try, just grab a paper target and put it up at 25 metres and shoot at it one-handed (iron sights only). Once you have a feel for that, a full match would have 60 shots, shot with different timings starting with slow-fire and ending with 5 rounds in 4 seconds (there are a few other ISSF pistol match formats as well, but that's about the easiest to start with). Or just go down to Rathdrum and give it a try there at their next match or open day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's an NASRPC benchrest pistol shoot on 10th January in Rathdrum. Not sure if the OP is a member of the NASRPC, but he's got a few weeks to find out :)

Rules aren't as strict as ISSF, basically any .22 pistol or revolver supported at the wrist only and can be shot two handed. 60 shots in 20 minutes with 5 minutes for sighting.

All on nice exercise free electronic targets (no walking required). :D

Anyone thinks this is easy btw, it's not. We've only run a 60 shot once and the top score was 564. When we ran 30 shot matches, the highest score was a 292.

rrpc wrote: »
    There's an NASRPC benchrest pistol shoot on 10th January in Rathdrum. Not sure if the OP is a member of the NASRPC, but he's got a few weeks to find out :)

Rules aren't as strict as ISSF, basically any .22 pistol or revolver supported at the wrist only and can be shot two handed. 60 shots in 20 minutes with 5 minutes for sighting.

Anyone thinks this is easy btw, it's not. We've only run a 60 shot once and the top score was 564. When we ran 30 shot matches, the highest score was a 292.

Hi RRPC. I see on the NASRPC site that there is a competition at Harbour house on the Jan 24th. Perhaps that is the one Tommy was referring to. Does that involve .22 pistol shooting?

K

K,

I think you'll find a S&W 22a is more than accurate enough to be competitive in any type of rimfire competition you may come across in Ireland today.

I know a few lads who will need neck braces to hold all the NASRPC national medals they are due to collect in January after using a 22a. (I only have to collect one but that was with a 22a aswell :))

I know a few lads that have done well in ISSF events with them also.

Keep up the practice and you'll be in the medals before too long.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    K,

I think you'll find a S&W 22a is more than accurate enough to be competitive in any type of rimfire competition you may come across in Ireland today.

I know a few lads who will need neck braces to hold all the NASRPC national medals they are due to collect in January after using a 22a. (I only have to collect one but that was with a 22a aswell :))

I know a few lads that have done well in ISSF events with them also.

Keep up the practice and you'll be in the medals before too long.

B'Man

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bananaman :D I was shooting from about 14 or 15m I think. Not too sure how I'd fair from 25m!! Do all competitions require you to aim the pistol with one hand or two?

Unfortunately I don't have my own pistol and by the looks of things with all the talk from government I never will. I'm currently using a club gun. Just eager to jump in at the deep end and enter a few competitions.

K,

There is a very wide range of pistol shooting sports - some of them rimfire (.22 for your purposes) and some centrefire (larger than that :) ).

Some require you to engage targets with one hand, some with both hands and some will require you to alternate on diffeent details.

Most sports involve different details at different distances.

Most sports are also graded so you will not find yourself up against a guy with 10 years expereince in your first competition ( unless he's brutal :) )

The best thing for you to so is have a chat with Tommy when you are next on the range and he will tell you what type of competition you should enter as he will be able to gauge how you are shooting.

Regardless, if there is a competition in your club, you should get someone to show you what the detail is prior to it and enter it. The sooner you get your feet wet the sooner you'll start winning stuff.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hi RRPC. I see on the NASRPC site that there is a competition at Harbour house on the Jan 24th. Perhaps that is the one Tommy was referring to. Does that involve .22 pistol shooting?

K

Well I don't know much about it except that there's a small bore pistol (.22 for those who don't know) competition involved.

I was talking to the NASRPC Competitions Director the other night on the phone and I know he told me what was involved, but I can't for the life of me remember now :o

I'm sure if you drop him an email he'd be happy to fill you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

rrpc wrote: »

That's great shooting. Who shot that score of 564?

K,

There is not much point discussing the course of fire for a competition on boards.

It is like discussing the bends and hills in a road race - it will be of no use to you on the day - you need to go drive the road.

Go to the range, talk to your range officer and ask him/her to explain the match format to you. They will take you through it dry-fire (unloaded) and when you are happy then practice it under no pressure or time constraints the range officer may offer you some tips or hints in how to do it better.

When you are happy and confident in what you need to do - remember, you do not need to be any good, you only need to be safe - then enter the competition.

I'm only shooting a couple of years and I have won medals and trophys from the very start and I am by no means a marksman.

Then as d'unbelivables used to say 'get out there and enjoy yourself'.

B'Man

Advertisement