Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

while the iron is hot?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I dont know how well this is going to go down, so apologies if I insult anyone. Despite the best of intentions the other thread has turned into a free for all on the merits & danger of restricted breeds and a discussion on how they are treated. How they should be treated etc etc.

I wanted to start a thread specifically to ask how we can go about starting an email campaign about the issues raised on the joe duffy show on wednesday.

I did not hear it (for some reason it wont work on my pc) but suffice to say, it gave the whole thing some much needed publicity.

From what I understand the pounds policies on restricted breeds is just one of many issues that need to be looked at, am I right?

I think if people are going to do this, it needs to be done now.

So what needs to be done? Do we email the show thanking them and raising further issues, asking them to give it some more publicity? With a weight of people behind it, surely the show will run it?

Or is everyone happy that groups such as ANVIL, and various rescues already do that sort of thing, so anything we do will be time wasted?

Again, sorry if I annoy anybody with this, mods feel free to delete, but the other conversation has been pulled off course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I don't think that anyone highlighting the issue will be time wasting.
    We can't sit back & let ANVIL & rescues do all the work - Whilst ANVIL is fantastic, the aim is they are there to help us get our own voice & make politicians & relevent bodies aware of the problems and concerns of us & the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

Thanx that is a great idea ' everyone does tend to sit back and let Anvil and rescues do the work ' its all of you coming together that will make a big change for the better' and i know it might annoy ye,s a bith so i wont go on to much but if any of ye,s have time over xmas pay a visit to one of these pounds cause it will break your hearth to see the difference in the care that a listed dog would get compared to a nonlisted ' thats why people have such a huge problem with it ' it would physically make you sick ' they do get treated an enormous lot worse than the rest ' every dog should be looked after equal ' they should all be in indoor kennels and all have warm blankets or vet bed ' there should be addequit heating for all dogs and instead of damp wet hundreds of years old walls they should be toiled or stainless steel so they can be washed and cleaned properly to prevent the spread of infections ' they are all left unnatended from 12pm on a saturday till 9 am on sunday ' they are way to long hours to be left ' if they knock there water over at 12 that means they,l parch till 9am ... very wrong .... ashton has very good opening hours weekday but some pounds only open for a couple of hours a day ' i think that is wrong ' it lessons the time dramaticaly that people can find there dog '
    hopefuly this will give yous sumthing to go on xx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well said Helena. Before we email & lobby it is critical that we gather information. We are not just fighting Ashtown but Dublin CC. Both will defend themselves.

I will PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clairem

I would love to help with this as well. We adopted a young staffie-x called Suzie from Ashtown 2 months ago and she's the best dog ever. I was so horrified to hear that all pitbulls (or suspected pitbulls) are put to sleep by the pound manager at Ashtown regardless of temperament, age, health etc.. Suzie is often mistaken for a pitbull (as she's staffie-x) and it's shocking to me that she could have been put down because of this. Anyhow I'd love to help in any way I can. I think pestering all our Councillors is probably the best way forward at this stage, particularly with the local elections coming up.
    I'd also like to say that I've visited the pound many times and I think the pound staff and did volunteers do a really brilliant job with limited resources. The pound really is in a terrible condition though - it's cold, the food the dogs are fed is of poor quality, the enclosures are tiny and from what I've heard (on liveline) the vet care doesn't seem to be up to scratch either. I always thought that these problems were down to inadequate government funding but now I'm beginning to believe that the problem is down to the fact that the pound is managed by a private company (for profit) that doesn't seem to be accountable to anyone.
    Anyway - please let me know how I can help :-)
    Claire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have no problem with this thread - the more help we can give to ANVIL the better.

Email & write & even call TD's - it can' hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Anyone want to post an address of who they are emailing? Just because I think if everyone were to email the same people we might be noticed more.

Its brings me to tears to think of the poor dogs its too late to help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

well did any of yous get any good responses from people you wrote too ? who did yous all write to ? :o

Advertisement