Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel a bit sorry for Brian Cowen!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cowen was minister for finance, he's as responsible or moreso for the mess he has to deal with/run away from. I knew he was the wrong man for the job when all the rte people were blathering on about his previous posts and how he'd never moved out of third gear-not cause he didn't need to, cause he doesn't have a higher one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Cowen was minister for finance, he's as responsible or moreso for the mess he has to deal with/run away from. I knew he was the wrong man for the job when all the rte people were blathering on about his previous posts and how he'd never moved out of third gear-not cause he didn't need to, cause he doesn't have a higher one!

Yeah actually, I supose since he contributed in such a great way to the current situation that its only natural that he should get all the stick for it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

let me post what is probably about to be posted about 10000 times

blah blah blah economy biffo blah blah blah retard blah blah blah sack him blah blah blah outrage blah blah blah recession:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There's been enough of these. Take it to TCN or somewhere else irrelevant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yes I do feel sorry for him....

He was last in the queue when God was giving out the good looks..:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Of course I don't feel sorry for him ! Although someone should give that George Lee a slap around the chops, he has had nothing but boring good news for the past ten years, and he is now going to town on all this negativity, every piece of "we're all going to die" news he gets out of himself, results in him looking like he is having an orgasm. I have never seen such a smug smile of satisfaction at the end of his interview on the news today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Wacko wrote: »
    Of course I don't feel sorry for him ! Although someone should give that George Lee a slap around the chops, he has had nothing but boring good news for the past ten years, and he is now going to town on all this negativity, every piece of "we're all going to die" news he gets out of himself, results in him looking like he is having an orgasm. I have never seen such a smug smile of satisfaction at the end of his interview on the news today.

Yeah. In fairness, he's having a field day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Brian Cowen is actually a fish. Some say he has gills under those layers of flab. No human has lips like that.

Biffo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Nope. It's more Charlie McCreeveys fault than it is Brian Cowens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Seen poor ol' Brian laying on the road at St. Stephens green a few years back, after being knocked ass over tit by a motorbike courier. Felt sorry for him then.
    Now ?. Not on your life. If he can't stand the heat, he should not have his 2 hands in the birds bush, or whatever that saying was. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

++++1
    I couldn't have phrased it better. When I heard that they were giving bertie the boot I thought
    (1) did we not just have an election and he was voted back in????
    (2) it wont be six months before he has the country on its knees
    Also one has to bear in mind that they are still being paid the massive salaries they were alloted when bertie was in, and I bet thier favourite resteraunts wont feel the squeeze quite as much.
    The waistline of his chin certainly hasn't shrunk at all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I see pictures of Bertie Ahern in a wheel chair with a huge cast over his leg (after he had a little tumble down the stairs how many months ago?) and do feel sorry for Cowen getting stick while Bertie milks the sympathy vote. I also see pictures of Mary Coughlan at the opening of every coffee shop (5 NEW Jobs!!!) and wonder who he's got supporting him.

But then I think there's a reason he's landed in this mess, because he's loyal Fianna Fáil though and through and they're the ones who brought us here. So **** him! ;)

Why would I feel sorry for a politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

cregser wrote: »
    I see pictures of Bertie Ahern in a wheel chair with a huge cast over his leg (after he had a little tumble down the stairs how many months ago?) and do feel sorry for Cowen getting stick while Bertie milks the sympathy vote.

Bertie broke his leg on October 21st. What dates were the photos you saw of him in a wheelchair taken and was he attending hospital at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I felt sorrier for Saddam Hussein when they hanged him than I ever would for anyone in the current cabinet. They've finally got a tough job to do (that they seemingly haven't got a ball's notion how to do) after riding the good times for the last decade...
    Cowen get's paid more than the US president; I'd like to see some return on that wage, or else see someone else get the reigns, but why would I feel sorry for someone if they can't do their job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jokjetset

No, not in the slightest. Cowen is the worst Taoiseach overseeing the worst Government in the history of the Irish State.

Incompetent or just the unluckiest man ever, I don't know and frankly don't care. Cowen is clearly not up to the job and should have the grace to go before he destroys everything that so many of us have worked so hard over so many years for !!!!

jokjetset wrote: »
    No, not in the slightest. Cowen is the worst Taoiseach overseeing the worst Government in the history of the Irish State.

Incompetent or just the unluckiest man ever, I don't know and frankly don't care. Cowen is clearly not up to the job and should have the grace to go before he destroys everything that so many of us have worked so hard over so many years for !!!!

You contradicted yourself a little bit there

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

It is a bit harsh on poor Brian, all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

cregser wrote: »
    I see pictures of Bertie Ahern in a wheel chair with a huge cast over his leg (after he had a little tumble down the stairs how many months ago?) and do feel sorry for Cowen getting stick while Bertie milks the sympathy vote. I also see pictures of Mary Coughlan at the opening of every coffee shop (5 NEW Jobs!!!) and wonder who he's got supporting him.

But then I think there's a reason he's landed in this mess, because he's loyal Fianna Fáil though and through and they're the ones who brought us here. So **** him! ;)

A significant investment in foundation and blusher, and an ability to on/off the water works during interviews with RTEs Brian Dobson should see him right.

Worked a treat for destitute Bert

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet Dev's happy knowing that Biffo's worse than he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i saw him on tv telling everyone what a great job he had done with the economy, thro prudent and careful management.
    nobody put a gun to his head to take the job, i am hazzarding a geuss that if a gun was put to his head he to leave he would still stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

deise59 wrote: »
    Nope. It's more Charlie McCreeveys fault than it is Brian Cowens

How do you mean "nope"? He had a chance to change the policies of McCreevy. Jesus with an attitude like that we should probably be blaming the Cumann na nGaedheal government, sure they started it all! In short to medium terms Cowan is directly responsible for the present situation. Happy now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I dont think any government has the power to preside over some magical recession umbrella that will block out the worldwide problem. I do think that they have the power to protect jobs and continue to spend on healthcare infrastructure and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd ride him sideways.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With lips like that how could you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

With lips like that, I'd ride you riding him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Not even Barrack Obama can save this country, it's completely fcuked.

Brian Cowen has a bigger salary than the US President, he will get a massive pension and basically has no personal financial worries for life guaranteed, no I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

javaboy wrote: »
    Bertie broke his leg on October 21st. What dates were the photos you saw of him in a wheelchair taken and was he attending hospital at the time?

Bertie was in a wheelchair two weeks ago at a public event if that helps.

Peared wrote: »
    Bertie was in a wheelchair two weeks ago at a public event if that helps.

Thanks Peared.
    Ok so he broke his leg on the 21st of October. When I broke my leg I was in plaster for 6 weeks but admittedly the only time I used a wheelchair was in the hospital when they insisted on it. But he's got 35 years on me so the recovery wouldn't go nearly as quickly I imagine.

It's not exactly outrageous that he should be in a wheelchair 6 weeks after his break in fairness. I know I hated walking on the crutches for extended periods of time so at a public event, I can understand why Bertie might use a chair. It can be more dignified than getting all red in the face and sweaty and tired from going around on crutches.

P.S. I hate Bertie with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

It's not Cowen's fault that the job pays well. Not sure who started that trend - possssssssssibly a certain Charles H., but I really don't know.

Anyway, my original point. Ireland is a small, open economy. There is little that the government can do about the macroeconomic forces swirling around us at the moment. Look at the UK, US, Iceland...it does appear to be hitting everyone.

Indirectly, it might have been Cowen's / Ahern's / Fianna Fail's fault for fostering this attitude that now the bad times are gone, it's gonna be rosy forever.

You can blame the banks, the media, the economist, the government, the people who thought a €400k mortgage would be manageable, the mismanagement of state bodies...

But at the end of it any Taoiseach is a man on a surfboard. He could be surfing a tidal wave (late 90s - 2006) or the low tide (right now). Putting a different man on the surfboard won't make more waves. And blaming the lad on the surfboard is just begrudgery.

I'm done with ya!

Advertisement