Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel a bit sorry for Brian Cowen!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    no I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest :mad:

That's beside the point, would you give him length?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

old boy wrote: »
    i saw him on tv telling everyone what a great job he had done with the economy, thro prudent and careful management.
    nobody put a gun to his head to take the job, i am hazzarding a geuss that if a gun was put to his head he to leave he would still stay.

There's more chance of the trigger being pulled regardless. Another boom he couldn't handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

...wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anyone, who upon getting a promotion in work, that duly heads down to Offaly, jumps on the back of a lorry and starts singing come-all-yes, deserves the kicking* they will invariably receive.

(*Metaphorical kicking, violence is bad m'kay?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The thing is Bertie just slipped out in time and left Brian Cowen to walk into this mess!!

If he had half a brain (instead of a half head on his shoulders), he'd have had the presence of mind to see the writing on the wall. He didn't, or got greedy, or a little bit of both.

What makes me die, is the amount of fawning he got when he took the job, for being an intellectual powerhouse.

He's sitting in his daddies seat, like so many others, with the same provincial concerns and narrow minded outlook, same as most of the other political figures in this great little country. How many heads of state would you see up on the back of an artic trailer attempting to sing to the rednecks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The problem with this country, and this is Cowen's key problem, is that we have too many people in this country that have a notion in their head that they have actual leadership ability. Just take a look at your job. I bet you'll immediately be able to identify people in management who know nothing about management, know nothing about leadership, motiving and inspiring people, and just got the job because they "knew someone" or are related to the owner of the business or something along these lines.

The same is true for Cowen, here is a man who has no leadership or communcation ability whatsoever, although he clearly believes differently, he hasn't the first notion how to get the country behind him and inspire people to work together to sort out this economic calamity. Instead he is stratching his hole and picking his nose while repeating the following mantra: "I believe in partnership and this problem is caused by global events that are out of our hands"...

He reminds me of Steve Staunton in his last few days as gaffer of the Irish squad. The first thing Cowen needs to do is sit down, stop talking pure horse sh*te and listen to people. Then he needs to accept what they are saying to him. His lack of humility and ability to take an input from any quarter is nothing less than remarkable. He appears to believe he is infallible, which is usually the first catastrophic downfall of any leader.

I wouldn't put him down in the zoo with a bucket of fish to feed the penguins, for fear he would make a b*lls of it, that's now little faith I have in him now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No matter how much of a mess the country is in, he will have all of lifes little luxeries, he still has his big car, big house, big pay check, big belly... It's human to feel sorry for someone getting so much crap from everyone. I do a bit. Not everything is to blame on biffo, you can thank the top managers in our banks for that mess. Greedy bastards trying to get as much share of the market as possible, reckless lending and all that.

No matter how much of a mess the country is in, he will have all of lifes little luxeries, he still has his big car, big house, big pay check, big belly... It's human to feel sorry for someone getting so much crap from everyone. I do a bit. Not everything is to blame on biffo, you can thank the top managers in our banks for that mess. Greedy bastards trying to get as much share of the market as possible, reckless lending and all that.

The buck stops with him. This is the guy who was telling us that the fundamentals of the economy were absolutely sound when the penguins down in the zoo knew that this was simply not possible, with house prices rocketting and 35% of new employment being in low pay jobs that are outside the tax net and contributing nothing to the economy. Instead of taking action to protect the citizenship of this country who needed a house or moving to protect the economy, he protected the wealthiest people in the country, developers and big business people. He should be put in a pillory on O' Connell Street so we can throw cabages at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kazaap

Almost every country in the world is going through a very bad economic period at the moment. Whats happening at the moment isnt in any way Brian Cowens or Fianna Fails fault. And yes he was in charge of the economy before he became taoisheach. Best economic period Ireland has every enjoyed I believe? But i wouldnt give him full credit for that either, the main reason for that has been the benefits we enjoyed being a relatively poor country who joined the EU. I think whoever was in power during that time would have ended up doing fairly well.

I dont have a great love for the guy personaly, but I do think he seems alot more competent than all the other oppostion party leaders. Before hebacked down from budget cuts in the face of a few people moaning, I wouldnt have had anything bad to say about him.

Hes a bit of an ugly bastard alright, but i see that as a positive. It takes the pressure off the rest of us, and sets a great example to to all ugly children in the country: Even if you look like a troll, you can still make it to the highest office in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I hate the government an exceeding amount, but I still feel sorry for them now and again. Nobody is a purely evil person, I'd like to belive that Brian Cowen is trying in some way to do something of a good job, so I feel a bit sorry for him when the criticism is flying all over the place and is landing on him, when it's not necessarily all his fault. Of course it's easier to just blame the taoiseach than actually find the sources of problems and blame them/fix them.

• Advertisement

I hate the government an exceeding amount, but I still feel sorry for them now and again. Nobody is a purely evil person, I'd like to belive that Brian Cowen is trying in some way to do something of a good job, so I feel a bit sorry for him when the criticism is flying all over the place and is landing on him, when it's not necessarily all his fault. Of course it's easier to just blame the taoiseach than actually find the sources of problems and blame them/fix them.

Hang on, this is the guy who is getting paid more than any other leader of a government in the western world! He is being paid hansomly to resolve these issues, that's his job! Not alone is he ineffective in his own job, he has surrounded himself with a top table at the cabinet of people who cannot do their jobs. A Minister for Finance who doesn't have a utter clue what the end of month revenue figures are. He doesn't even seem to have current finance data to hand, never mind a strategy to work on the data and improve the figures!

Kazaap wrote: »
    Almost every country in the world is going through a very bad economic period at the moment. Whats happening at the moment isnt in any way Brian Cowens or Fianna Fails fault. And yes he was in charge of the economy before he became taoisheach. Best economic period Ireland has every enjoyed I believe? But i wouldnt give him full credit for that either, the main reason for that has been the benefits we enjoyed being a relatively poor country who joined the EU. I think whoever was in power during that time would have ended up doing fairly well.

I dont have a great love for the guy personaly, but I do think he seems alot more competent than all the other oppostion party leaders. Before hebacked down from budget cuts in the face of a few people moaning, I wouldnt have had anything bad to say about him.

Hes a bit of an ugly bastard alright, but i see that as a positive. It takes the pressure off the rest of us, and sets a great example to to all ugly children in the country: Even if you look like a troll, you can still make it to the highest office in the land.

Yeah yeah yeah, we're great at that in Ireland, pointing to everything around us that moves, as the cause of our woes and waiting for someone else to come along and fix the problem and give us a free ride into town, where we then tell anyone who will listen to us that weren't we great, look what we have managed to do for ourselves, sure we didn't need any help at all, we've the fastest growing economy in the world, blah blah blah!

This just doesn't cut it any more. We have to pick ourselves up from this and for once in our history, sort out our own mess and not stand around waiting for EU funds or American FDI to appear for another factory.

We have the ideas, we have the education and the talent to build jobs in new industries and find new export markets. We don't need foreign companies to come here and do it for us. What we don't have is the leadership or the collective vision to thread all our abilities together to produce a result and for as long as we have the likes of Mary Coughlan running Enterprise and a Taoiseach who still believes that all this is out of our hands, we are going absolutely nowhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The Irish people can make a success of anything they try, with the sole exception of electing sensible, decent, hard working politicians. It really depresses me when I see the shower in the Dail who have our fate in their hands. Ok so we accept that Biffo and co are probably the worst goverment we've had in years, if not since the foundation of the State. But look at the opposition, would you feel comfortable with that half wit, pompous eejit Inda Kinny as Taoiseach. He's just another gombeen parochial politician from the ar$ehole of Mayo who spouts rehearsed soundbites that he heard on Letterman or the Tonight show. With him as leader of the opposition, the FFers must be quaking in their boots :rolleyes:

Time for a national revolution to install a government of the people with the ability to save our a$$es perhaps instead of the present one who will cut medical cards, cancer vaccines, etc but put up 10 billion of our savings to prop up the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Time for a national revolution to install a government of the people with the ability to save our a$$es perhaps instead of the present one who will cut medical cards, cancer vaccines, etc but put up 10 billion of our savings to prop up the banks[/QUOTE]

i dont this is too far off by this time next year thie good people of this Republic will have had enough it will only take one spark and the country will go up

Time for a national revolution to install a government of the people with the ability to save our a$$es perhaps instead of the present one who will cut medical cards, cancer vaccines, etc but put up 10 billion of our savings to prop up the banks

i dont this is too far off by this time next year thie good people of this Republic will have had enough it will only take one spark and the country will go up[/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking my friend as we Irish are far too apathetic to stage a revolution - just look at 1916 when most people couldn't be arsed. If a revolution happened now, just you and I would storm teh GPO and all we'd hear from teh masses is that we delayed their DART/LUAS and they couldn't get their double mocha skinny latte as the coffee shop was afraid to open when news of our revolution spread.

Upon our eventual capture, we won't be so lucky as to get a firing squad, no Cowan will sit on us and sing us a song................its against the Geneva convention I tell ya

Wishful thinking my friend as we Irish are far too apathetic to stage a revolution - just look at 1916 when most people couldn't be arsed. If a revolution happened now, just you and I would storm teh GPO and all we'd hear from teh masses is that we delayed their DART/LUAS and they couldn't get their double mocha skinny latte as the coffee shop was afraid to open when news of our revolution spread.

I don't agree, I can see some trigger event coming out of nowhere within the next 6 months and the place errupting. It will be something like a child out playing on the street being shot dead or run down by a gang in the middle of some criminal activity or a number of elderly people dying on hospital trollies in one night due to cutbacks, something is going to happen imminently with the way the country is currently being run, that will act as a trigger and I can see people just deciding that they have had enough and going completely beserk.

There is no doubt there is a depth of anger against this government out there that I think is ready to let fly, it will just take one event to set it off...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't agree, I can see some trigger event coming out of nowhere within the next 6 months and the place errupting. It will be something like a child out playing on the street being shot dead or run down by a gang in the middle of some criminal activity or a number of elderly people dying on hospital trollies in one night due to cutbacks, something is going to happen imminently with the way the country is currently being run, that will act as a trigger and I can see people just deciding that they have had enough and going completely beserk.

There is no doubt there is a depth of anger against this government out there that I think is ready to let fly, it will just take one event to set it off...

Er Darragh,

I think all of that has happened already and people express their shock/outrage etc and then move back into their little lives. Lets be honest here, we are the peasants who must do the bidding our our betters in the political elite. Oh sure, they come down to us great unwashed every 5 years to look for our votes but then they completely ignore us until the next vote. Wait, I'll qualify that, they also look for our votes on EU treaties and then ignore the answer they get and tell us to vote the right way next time.

All the political parties are the fcuking same. Its all one big game to them. They don't give a sh1te about us so don't ever kid your self. Its time they all went away and we tried someone new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I feel sorry for him because most of the really smart guys in his class at school probably emigrated so he does well for himself but is out of his depth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I like Brian! You can't beat a big jowley man! Seriously anytime I see him talking the sway of his jowls kinda hypnotises me....look at them swing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

phenomenon wrote: »
    Brian Cowen is actually a fish. Some say he has gills under those layers of flab. No human has lips like that.

Biffo

Brian in a gimp suit

• Advertisement

Er Darragh,

I think all of that has happened already and people express their shock/outrage etc and then move back into their little lives. Lets be honest here, we are the peasants who must do the bidding our our betters in the political elite. Oh sure, they come down to us great unwashed every 5 years to look for our votes but then they completely ignore us until the next vote. Wait, I'll qualify that, they also look for our votes on EU treaties and then ignore the answer they get and tell us to vote the right way next time.

All the political parties are the fcuking same. Its all one big game to them. They don't give a sh1te about us so don't ever kid your self. Its time they all went away and we tried someone new.

Nah what's unfolding here is something different I think. There is a sense of foreboding out there I think where something is going to come down the wire sooner or later and people are going to flip.

biko wrote: »
    Brian in a gimp suit

Biffo opening the new L'OREAL office in Dublin... Because he's worth it!

Nah what's unfolding here is something different I think. There is a sense of foreboding out there I think where something is going to come down the wire sooner or later and people are going to flip.

i give it another year before there is civil disorder in ireland and across the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

its not that he not smart its that he thinks the rest of us are fools.

and yeah fuel was added to the fire in the boom....why were section 23 etc properties allowed. this only helped the well off? and added to mad construction in mad places when there already was a significant boom on in its own right.

he stoo smug. hes delighted with the 'global downturn' as this is the answer for all his own poor judgements.
    every day he must praise the lord for worlwide woe..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I'll lighten the mood by saying jowls.

Seriously Mary Harney and Brian Cowen are not a great example to the country with their bordering on severely overweight phsyiques. Mary Harney - oversees the health system- is obese....hmmm

i give it another year before there is civil disorder in ireland and across the world

Agreed, I think within the next 12 months, in fact within the next 6 months, people are going to say enough is enough... You can already see things coming to a head and people's patience starting to run extremely thin.

I don't know what the trigger will be, just like in Athens in recent weeks, massive discontent was simmering just under the surface, next thing a cop shoots dead a student and they've been thrashing the place ever since...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Haven't read anything other than the thread title - so I am sure this has been said already.. personally, I wouldn't feel sorry for brian cowen if I was watching him being slowly flayed and repeatedly being dropped in buckets of salt & buckets of fire ants alternatively, through the process. The only sorrow I feel in regard to him, is that his big ignorant head has control of the reins of power to this slowly sinking ship that we are living on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Brian Cowen could set fire to an orphanage and the Offaly folk would still vote for him. We get what we deserve.

Agreed, I think within the next 12 months, in fact within the next 6 months, people are going to say enough is enough... You can already see things coming to a head and people's patience starting to run extremely thin.

I don't know what the trigger will be, just like in Athens in recent weeks, massive discontent was simmering just under the surface, next thing a cop shoots dead a student and they've been thrashing the place ever since...

Things are bad now yes, but they were worse in the 80's and despite some PAYE marches, fcuk all happened in Ireland we we all went on with our miserable lives while Haughey, Fitzgerald and Co lived in their Ivory towers and ran this country into the sh1te.

A global upswing happened in the 90's and then we had the FFers proclaiming their economic mastery and that they put Ireland on the the fast track to the land of milk and honey. Funny that a global downturn is nothing to do with them and its everyone else's fault and they can do nothing about it. Cowan was Minister for Finance for what 4/5 years and it was his economic "management" that has now left us with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the kitty to fall back on now that the country has hit the wall. Jeez, I saved up a few quid to get me by when the crash came (as most sane people knew it would) and this is my own little financial cushion to see out the recession. Why the fcuk couldn't they have kept back a percentage of the boom to now splash on roads, hospitals, schools etc to keep the construction sector going - or is that thinking outside the box?????????????:mad:

• Advertisement

A global upswing happened in the 90's and then we had the FFers proclaiming their economic mastery and that they put Ireland on the the fast track to the land of milk and honey. Funny that a global downturn is nothing to do with them and its everyone else's fault and they can do nothing about it. Cowan was Minister for Finance for what 4/5 years and it was his economic "management" that has now left us with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the kitty to fall back on now that the country has hit the wall. Jeez, I saved up a few quid to get me by when the crash came (as most sane people knew it would) and this is my own little financial cushion to see out the recession. Why the fcuk couldn't they have kept back a percentage of the boom to now splash on roads, hospitals, schools etc to keep the construction sector going - or is that thinking outside the box?????????????:mad:[/QUOTE]

yes but we had nothing like the personal wealth (now debt) coming into the 1980's we had very little anyway but now we have a certain standard of living and the way things are going that will now disappear,that will i think,eventually send the people over the edge

Advertisement