Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel a bit sorry for Brian Cowen!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Ok so I've always been a rebellious fcuker but 99.9% of my fellow citizens might whinge and moan into their beers but they won't do a feckin thing about this nation sliding down the sh1tter. Hell, the democratic decision of this country's electorate on Lisbon was dismissed from the moment the result was announced. Everyone knew they'd hold another referendum to get teh right answer. What did we do when this happened, protest, demand the government resign for selling us out, riot even???? Not a fcuking peep from us so I know for a goddamn fact that the people of this country will do nothing about what Cowan and co is doing to us. Christ on a stick, they'll probably re-elect the ****er next time around. If crims like Beverly 3 chin Flynn and Michael, wheres me extension Ben Dunne, Lowry can get re-elected by their local oikes, then we are a sad and sick little nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ok so I've always been a rebellious fcuker but 99.9% of my fellow citizens might whinge and moan into their beers but they won't do a feckin thing about this nation sliding down the sh1tter. Hell, the democratic decision of this country's electorate on Lisbon was dismissed from the moment the result was announced. Everyone knew they'd hold another referendum to get teh right answer. What did we do when this happened, protest, demand the government resign for selling us out, riot even???? Not a fcuking peep from us so I know for a goddamn fact that the people of this country will do nothing about what Cowan and co is doing to us. Christ on a stick, they'll probably re-elect the ****er next time around. If crims like Beverly 3 chin Flynn and Michael, wheres me extension Ben Dunne, Lowry can get re-elected by their local oikes, then we are a sad and sick little nation.

this world economic disaster is different wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Hmmmmmmmmm Brian Cowan was Minister of Finance and created a lot of this mess, along with the rest of Fianna Fáil! Feel sorry for him???? No Way....Look at the way he behaved during the Lisbon treaty.....Bullying the population!
    He's an ignorant buffoon....doesn't know how to communicate and has a bunch of incompetents working alongside him.....Just look at the panic they got into when they finally woke up to ehhhhhhhh?.........'RECESSION'
    Early budget....ill thought out...in fact not researched in anyway!....Now backtracking.
    Banks are 10 steps ahead of them! and they are messing with our monies and helping the banks?........Give me a break!!! making more cuts in Health services which already are in meltdown!!
    Doesn't stop the Ministers from eating in Michelin Star Restaurants several times a week and ringing in their orders ahead to ensure that 'Foie Gras' is to be supplied to one particular minister....He/She knows who he/she is...,so enough said!
    PEOPLE OF IRELAND GET UP. LET'S GET ORGANISED, GET THIS SHOWER OF INCOMPETENTS OUT OF OFFICE AND DEMAND PROPER GOVERNMENT!!
    We need to go get advice for old ex ministers from all parties who led us through the recessionary times back in the 70's and 80's.
    Believe you me..We don't know the half of what's to come....Wait till January and see all the 'HUGE' job losses that will be announced then. We are only at the tip of the iceberg. Sorry for doom and gloom but we need to organise and get out and protest against these bumbling idiots who quite clearly DO NOT KNOW what they are doing!!
    Let this current government take a 50% wagecut from their already over inflated salaries along with the heads of State Agenices. Inject these savings then into health. The green party advocate energy savings so why didn't all the ministers 'ditch' their gas guzzlers for eco friendly cars? Hypocrisy or not!
    Let's all get up and out and protest on the streets in all of our Capital Cities and towns and bombade our local politicians with our concerns and insist that they get their acts together and stop all this back biting and sniping at one another in the Dáil. We all know the mess we are in but everyone needs to pull together and help one another....This current government are choosing to ignore help and advice being given. How on earth did they get the finances so wrong? What were the civil servants who work in Finance telling them? Could go on for hours here but stress levels are running high and blood's boiling!
    Very interested in reading everyone elses posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No matter how much of a mess the country is in, he will have all of lifes little luxeries, he still has his big car, big house, big pay check, big belly... It's human to feel sorry for someone getting so much crap from everyone. I do a bit. Not everything is to blame on biffo, you can thank the top managers in our banks for that mess. Greedy bastards trying to get as much share of the market as possible, reckless lending and all that.

Let me highlight something, read my post again. There are some things beyond the control of the government, and believe it or not, we would still be in a similar position if Mr Aherne was still Taoiseach.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    The buck stops with him. This is the guy who was telling us that the fundamentals of the economy were absolutely sound when the penguins down in the zoo knew that this was simply not possible, with house prices rocketting and 35% of new employment being in low pay jobs that are outside the tax net and contributing nothing to the economy. Instead of taking action to protect the citizenship of this country who needed a house or moving to protect the economy, he protected the wealthiest people in the country, developers and big business people. He should be put in a pillory on O' Connell Street so we can throw cabages at him.

So he's a true politician then? It's just fortunate that Mr Aherne was Taoiseach when we were riding on the tigers back. A lot of politicians have taken back handers and "donations" from developers and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Xavi old boy, I'm just an ordanairy Joe Soap but I could see that the bad times were a coming and I set aside cash to get me through the bad times. These heavyweights of our political establishment (now there's an apt term) haven't the wits to see beyond their own nose. They haven't the intelligence to get us out of this mess. They haven't the courage to admit that they don't know what they're doing.

Brian Cowan - inherited Daddy's seat and elected by the local oikes for no reason other than he's one of their own.

Mary Coughlan - what qualifies her to be Tanaiste. Even her own party know she's not up to the job.

Brian Lenihan - a smarmy barrister who obviously hasn't a clue about Finance

Mary Harney - enough said

John Gormley - lets go back to living in caves and we'll be alright AND carbon neutral

Willie O'Dea - Groucho Marx reborn but nowhere near as intentionally funny

I could go on but I'm depressing myself:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, I feel sorry for Biffo.

On more money than the US president. How does he cope? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Don't feel sorry for him at all. He out of all that have held the highest office in the states history fought for it the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

prosperous dave..........

was about to lol

but it would be funnier if it wasnt so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yeah but when FF were voted in at the last election, the people that voted for FF didn't think at the time that the chickens were on their way home to roost! What has become clear now, but wasn't clear then, was the degree to which this government is responsible for the absolute calamity we are now in...

Back then it was the middle class voters who were voting for FF, because all they cared about was their precious investment property that was rising in value more than their monthly salary with every passing month, and their X5 out in the driveway for all the neighbours to see, they simply couldn't lose, all they had to do was keep voting for FF!

These people now are like wasps...

Xavi old boy, I'm just an ordanairy Joe Soap but I could see that the bad times were a coming and I set aside cash to get me through the bad times. These heavyweights of our political establishment (now there's an apt term) haven't the wits to see beyond their own nose. They haven't the intelligence to get us out of this mess. They haven't the courage to admit that they don't know what they're doing.

Brian Cowan - inherited Daddy's seat and elected by the local oikes for no reason other than he's one of their own.

Mary Coughlan - what qualifies her to be Tanaiste. Even her own party know she's not up to the job.

Brian Lenihan - a smarmy barrister who obviously hasn't a clue about Finance

Mary Harney - enough said

John Gormley - lets go back to living in caves and we'll be alright AND carbon neutral

Willie O'Dea - Groucho Marx reborn but nowhere near as intentionally funny

I could go on but I'm depressing myself:(

Oh don't get me wrong dave, I do agree with you. Most could see (from past trends) that the celtic tiger was due to end sooner or later. The worlds economy comming crashing down could have been dealt with a lot better, but not in months leading to the economies demise. Finances should have been managed better by the banks. The greed engulfed them and they tried their best to get the largest market share. Doing this they removed vital criteria for getting mortgages and loans, making it a lot easier for people with no real income to recieve huge loans and mortgages.

I don't think Irish banks were as desperate and didn't lend as recklessly as other countries, USA, *cough*.

Being the minister of finance, he is somewhat to blame for our situation, but there are other elements at play which superbrian cannot control. External economies which we depend on somewhat.

What I cannot understand is why are the government waiting until the new year to roll out their masterplan of saving our economy? Why not sooner? Has it got to do with budgets and whatnot? Please excuse my ignorance.

• Advertisement

Yeah but when FF were voted in at the last election, the people that voted for FF didn't think at the time that the chickens were on their way home to roost! What has become clear now, but wasn't clear then, was the degree to which this government is responsible for the absolute calamity we are now in...

Back then it was the middle class voters who were voting for FF, because all they cared about was their precious investment property that was rising in value more than their monthly salary with every passing month, and their X5 out in the driveway for all the neighbours to see, they simply couldn't lose, all they had to do was keep voting for FF!

These people now are like wasps...

Not everyone who invested in property drove X5s, lived in palaces, and splashed their cash on fur coats.

Do not begrudge the intelligent, who invested their hard earned money. They have every right to vote for whom they want. If it benifits them, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Not everyone who invested in property drove X5s, lived in palaces, and splashed their cash on fur coats.

Do not begrudge the intelligent, who invested their hard earned money. They have every right to vote for whom they want. If it benifits them, why not?

Because he didn't make any money out of it. It's the irish way.

SheroN wrote: »

So true... I didn't make a penny out of it, but I am pretty sure my parents made a fortune ;) Yet they are sensible enough not to blow their money on 3ltr SUV's and needless expensive "look at me I am richer than you" crap. You know, I don't begrudge people having money, but I don't see why anybody, even builders needing to buy them big dodge pickup trucks. Who needs them? There's one in our parking area and it takes up the best part of two parking spots. Why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I don't think its intirely fare to point the finger at just one person.....
    The celtic tiger came along made jobs for us got us on our feet the country grew fast, to Fast ?

the econmics of this country was in the building trade they where the people making money. House's went up every where it was complete madness they built houseing esstate after houseing estate with no planing for future...

Then bertie builds a louis line that cost what it takes the americans to fly to the moon not saying its a waste because its a great thing to have but i feel that ireland is and was like a 13 year old who cant wait to be an adult we just acelerated, to fast...

It was allways my opinion that Ireland was a young country and should of been treated as such, but insted we have politisions that dont truly know whats going on they've cleerly lost touch with the out side world because they've been in power for to long...
    what ireland needs is some one whos going to make the dessions that no one currently will make..

SheroN wrote: »

The Celtic Tiger didn't impact me. I made money because I worked extremely hard and I also lost money while I was learning how to run a business. What I didn't do was copy everyone else and put my money into property and take up the lazy way of making money, while contributing to the mess that is our economy now, with house prices dropping after being artificially inflated by FF, banks, developers and FF voting property investors. If everyone just bought what they needed to live in, instead of selfishly hoovering up properties for investment purposes to rent out to those that they considered below them, we would simply not be in this mess.

A lot of them did. Look out your car window next time your out for a drive and look at the cars around you... Who do you think is driving these cars, the people on the dole???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

ahern_161388t.jpg

''See yew ya ballix''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

feck feeling sorry for him, i doubt if he feels sorry for us.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Quick answer no,

hes fecked the young, the old and the sick,,,well done mate,,, did a fine job there

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Redpunto wrote: »
    Quick answer no,

hes fecked the young, the old and the sick,,,well done mate,,, did a fine job there

If it wasn't for fecking the young, old and sick none of us would ever get any action evar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Redpunto wrote: »
    Quick answer no,

He's going to do an even better job on them next year:(

The Celtic Tiger didn't impact me. I made money because I worked extremely hard and I also lost money while I was learning how to run a business. What I didn't do was copy everyone else and put my money into property and take up the lazy way of making money, while contributing to the mess that is our economy now, with house prices dropping after being artificially inflated by FF, banks, developers and FF voting property investors. If everyone just bought what they needed to live in, instead of selfishly hoovering up properties for investment purposes to rent out to those that they considered below them, we would simply not be in this mess.

You have "begrudger" written all over you, I wouldn't be surprised if that was your middle name. Your annoyed because you weren't smart enough to invest in property, and don't tell me you needed a lot of money to invest in property either. The people driving the big cars would be the highly successful. The people who invested in property and still have that property don't have a lot of disposable cash, it is all tied up in that property. I know a lot of people who invested in property, of which only one has the big car and boat. I don't think you know what you are talking about to tell you the truth, just speculating. Are you telling me that you chose the "difficult" way of making money out of morals? ROFL.

Blame the developers for the mess, not the middle class workers making really good investments.
    A lot of them did. Look out your car window next time your out for a drive and look at the cars around you... Who do you think is driving these cars, the people on the dole???

No, people with a lot of money, also, people who got finance on these vehicles. It wasn't that hard to get. You cannot say that "people who invested in property drive big cars" it's a completely foolish claim. In fact it's probably the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Will be very interesting to see come the 1st january how many of our Ministers turndown the new 2009 cars!

Bad enough that they refused to recovene in the Dáil when the proverbial sh** hit the fan last summer....Don't see them foregoing their christmas break either!

Now they are going to shore up Anglo Irish Bank???? Financial Regulator not being Sacked????? IS HE ALSO GOING TO RESIGN AND GET A HUGE PAYOUT LIKE RODDY MOLLOY AS WELL AS A HEFTY PENSION???

All government ministers pensions should be cut in half too....Then the Health Service might have a chance. Remember these folks are out elected government and are supposed to be working for the benefit of the country.....As we can all clearly see THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!

So are we going to sit back and let them throw good money after bad to the banks?.....I was fortunate enough to inherit shares which were to have been put by for a rainy day in old age...now they are worthless...so it's not all the fatcats who have the monies!!! But what i've never had I wont miss is my philosophy.

We need to get together and put a stop to this shambles of a government! it's only us the people of ireland who can evict this government or make them come together with all the other parties and see if they can come up with good sound developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

mlelsc wrote: »
    Will be very interesting to see come the 1st january how many of our Ministers turndown the new 2009 cars!

Bad enough that they refused to recovene in the Dáil when the proverbial sh** hit the fan last summer....Don't see them foregoing their christmas break either!

Now they are going to shore up Anglo Irish Bank???? Financial Regulator not being Sacked????? IS HE ALSO GOING TO RESIGN AND GET A HUGE PAYOUT LIKE RODDY MOLLOY AS WELL AS A HEFTY PENSION???

All government ministers pensions should be cut in half too....Then the Health Service might have a chance. Remember these folks are out elected government and are supposed to be working for the benefit of the country.....As we can all clearly see THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!

So are we going to sit back and let them throw good money after bad to the banks?.....I was fortunate enough to inherit shares which were to have been put by for a rainy day in old age...now they are worthless...so it's not all the fatcats who have the monies!!! But what i've never had I wont miss is my philosophy.

We need to get together and put a stop to this shambles of a government! it's only us the people of ireland who can evict this government or make them come together with all the other parties and see if they can come up with good sound developments.

The people in charge of this country are the very same shower who stood by and defended Bert Ahern during his saga with the tribunals.

They completely lack any sort of (even half decent) judgement.

Bert Ahern has set the bar so low in terms of standards in office. It is therefore unsurprising that such an unacceptable level of greed and waste is endemic in the upper echelons of the Irish corporate scene, state bodies etc.

If Enda Kenny stood down as Party leader and handed the reins to Richard Bruton, I think the electorate would 'click' with this and we would have an individual and leader with the right mindset and attributes to help ourselves out of this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

javaboy wrote: »
    Bertie broke his leg on October 21st. What dates were the photos you saw of him in a wheelchair taken and was he attending hospital at the time?

Yeah he broke his leg carrying his wallet ,leg snapped under the weight
    and mcCreavy can now be seen **** in brussels these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

greatdeeds wrote: »
    If Enda Kenny stood down as Party leader and handed the reins to Richard Bruton, I think the electorate would 'click' with this and we would have an individual and leader with the right mindset and attributes to help ourselves out of this mess.

+1

Have been very impressed with him over the last few months, comes across very well, wouldn't like to see them go in with Labour but because of our PR system this is probably the ony way they will get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greatdeeds View Post
    +1

Have been very impressed with him over the last few months, comes across very well, wouldn't like to see them go in with Labour but because of our PR system this is probably the ony way they will get in.
    -1. Bruton is (apparently) a strong finance guy and is part of the team which Kenny has assembled. Take him out of finance and you lose a major resource in finance, despite not being guaranteed that he'll make a better party leader.
    Thats how management works - its boring and tedious and it mainly involves surrounding yourself with good people. Unfortunately that work is tedious at best so generally those who are actually good at it aren't that exciting themselves.

But then again if you'd rather a dancing clown as leader..... well, actually we do have BIFFO the dancing bear!! How's that working out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Boggle wrote: »
    -1. Bruton is (apparently) a strong finance guy and is part of the team which Kenny has assembled. Take him out of finance and you lose a major resource in finance,

Was thinking that and you are probably right, I don't think Kenny is the guy to lead FG to victory,though with the current attitude to FF it might not matter as FF will lose lots of votes imo, still can't see the Greens pulling the plug on the current govt unless their is a major development.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've said this a few times before. Bruton would be wasted as Taoiseach. The most important job at the moment is Finance. Let Bruton do what he's good at instead of meeting foreign leaders and all the other PR stuff that takes up the Taoiseach's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Boggle wrote: »
    -1. Bruton is (apparently) a strong finance guy and is part of the team which Kenny has assembled. Take him out of finance and you lose a major resource in finance, despite not being guaranteed that he'll make a better party leader.
    Thats how management works - its boring and tedious and it mainly involves surrounding yourself with good people. Unfortunately that work is tedious at best so generally those who are actually good at it aren't that exciting themselves.

But then again if you'd rather a dancing clown as leader..... well, actually we do have BIFFO the dancing bear!! How's that working out for you?

Sorry, your right thats a fair point. Bruton is needed in Finance.

Advertisement