Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wacken Open Air

• 18-12-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Well guys, it appears that I'll be venturing to Germany next year to take in the amazing sights and sounds of Wacken Open Air 2009. I've never really gone to any major metal festival previously so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice worth taking on board? A guide if you will. Help's much appreciated!

Comments

TAKE_ME_WITH_YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Wacken is a good gig. Good people, good fun for the most part. I have advice for you though: Watch your pockets. I had my wallet stolen out of my combats shorts rear pocket which even had its flap button fastened. This was during Exodus, where the crowed was nicely pressed together. I checked my wallet before the set - no problem. Checked again after 5 songs - pocket open, wallet gone. Only for my girlfriend was with me, it would have been a ****ty weekend. I'm goin' back next year too though. Tickets already acquired. Also - try to arrange a lift directly to Wacken from the airport, rather than puplic transport, as it just makes life so much easier. Rock On.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There's been loads of wacken threads posted in this forum before. Have a look through on the past pages for more info.

I've been a few times, and found it more effort than it's worth. Incredibly packed, hardly able to see the big bands. Didnt go this year, and won't go again. You most likely won't get any sleep, people have a tendency to shout "WACKEN!!" constantly, even at all hours in the night / morning.

As for advice: Pack light, bring a spare pair of trousers, socks and underwear.Baby wipes are crucial - even though there are showers there.

Have heard horror stories about this years Wacken, and judging by the growing popularity, more and more people who just want to cause trouble will be in attendance at future WOAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheWolf-IsLoose

Wacken is fun, however it is expensive. Travel in groups so taxi fares can be split as you'll be travelling mostly by taxi. Suntan lotion and lots of it. If you can, buy some sort of shade over there (canopy, gazebo, big umbrella) as the sun is insane. When asking for water ask for still water, as if you just say water they'll give you sparkling..boy did that **** us up big time :P

Unfortunately the line-up is very lacking this year, only decent bands are Airbourne, Motorhead, and Amon Amarth. I'm considering selling my ticket. Hellfest looks better. So does Graspop. Even Download :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Right lets pretend this is the first post and we can make this into a proper WOA thread.

So are you going to Wacken '09?

What bands do ya want to see?

Do you have any trips for travelling there, being safe etc?

Yeash I am!

I want to see Airbourne, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, Motorhead, Korpiklanni, Machine Head, Testament, Saxon, Nevermore, UFO (**** yes at last!), and Gamma Ray. Should be a fun few days. Can't wait!! I wish there were more bands I liked playing, but I'm gonna still have a savage time.

I don't have any tips other than don't lose your passport and stay with your friends! Haha. Gonna be gooood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm not even going anymore. Wacken died the second Bring me the Horizon were announced. Cya later.

I'm not even going anymore. Wacken died the second Bring me the Horizon were announced. Cya later.

Ya wouldn't have to see them if ya don't want to... durrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

FunkZ wrote: »
    Ya wouldn't have to see them if ya don't want to... durrr.

Not the reason I'm no longer going, but I'm not disappointed. The lineup is atrocious save a few but not worth going for in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

My advice is to camp in groups as it's better craic altogether. Myself and a friend went over last year and were worried we'd be stuck on our own but it's easy to make friends and it really makes things more enjoyable.

Also, if there's a band you really really want to see and you want a good place for them, make sure you get to the stage two or three bands beforehand so you can wangle your way in.

Bring a fan if you can't handle heat too. My friend ended up taking his everywhere with him. It's a lifesaver when you wake up in a stuffy tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Also, if there's a band you really really want to see and you want a good place for them, make sure you get to the stage two or three bands beforehand so you can wangle your way in.

That's one of the reasons I stopped going to Wacken. Went 4 times, but stopped in 2003 when it just started getting too packed. Packed as Graspop gets, I never go to see a band until just before they start & still get to see them. Couldn't be arsed queuing for bands & missing others because of them.

• Advertisement

I think I'm going over on the 28th, can't wait!

Excited :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Bring me the horizon rock! (p.s. i am not a scene girl)

Advertisement