Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding dress where to go ?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all i know this should go in the wedding thread but im looking for information on where to go in the Laois/Killkenny/Kildare area to buy a wedding dress & if you know of any sales etc please let me know also i want to go somewhere where they will threat you well & do alterations etc & if you could give me a rough idea as to what there price range is aswell i would really appricate it thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TantraKat

There is a very good wedding dress shop in Mullingar which is only an hour from Portarlington. Don't know the name of it but could find out for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I bought mine in Cameo in Kilkenny (opposite Dunnes Stores back entrance) and found them excellent but expensive.
    Congrats btw.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Ashlynn

Thanks TantraKat that would be great & if you have there phone no. aswell will you post it as you normally have to make an appointment. Alot of people are recommending Berketez in Jervis St shopping centre but i really don't fancy having to travel all the way up to Dublin & you would probably have to go up & down a few times to get alterations right thanks again in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Jeutonic Bridal & Evening Wear
    No 10 The Parade Kilkenny Co. Kilkenny.

Sister got here dress here and the bridesmaids dresses and they were fantastic, they stock pronuptia as well, so you'll be spoiled for choice. Service was top class. There number is in the phonebook. I myself got my dress in the bridal hall in Portlaoise and would definatly advise travelling elsewhere for decent service. I still to this day have no idea how much my dress was, she kept adding on money for various things, never gave me a receipt and was really quiet rude, even though i was spending in excess of two and a half grand in her shop. Joannas in portlaoise after care service is supposed to be awful as well, really bad reports coming out about her, seeminly has no interest once you pay your deposit and she knows she has you.

Anyway congratulations, I would love to be back there choosing dresses.. have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TantraKat

Hi Ashlynn,

The place in Mullingar is called The White Room, see www.thewhiteroom.ie. Good luck!

Cheers
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daisydo

Theres a bridal shop in Kilberry outside Monsterevan, i'm not sure of the name of it. They had a great selection, I got my own wedding dress there they were very reasonable and the alterations service was brilliant. The ladys name is Jennifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

daisydo wrote: »
    Theres a bridal shop in Kilberry outside Monsterevan, i'm not sure of the name of it. They had a great selection, I got my own wedding dress there they were very reasonable and the alterations service was brilliant. The ladys name is Jennifer.

Jennifer (Dream Brides) has since sold the shop, but it is still trading, only 2 miles from Athy.

There is also a new Bridal shop in Woodstock St Athy (Portlaoise road), and one on Offaly St (Carlow Road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adeleworden

You could try Smart Brides in Cork who sell ONLY sample or second hand designer wedding dresses. Most sell at about 450 euro! :eek: She has a huge range of designer gowns so you will be spoiled for choice. Her name is Carla and her number is 021 477 0670 or 0877 888157. I think she has a website too but prob best to call for details...Hope that helps, amy

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Would recommend Jeutonic in Kilkenny, The Wedding Collection in Carlow and the Bridal Hall in Portlaoise. Joanna's Brides in Portlaoise have a nice collection but not so great customer service. You could also try the place in Stradbally if you like La Sposa dresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pinkie123

hiya I dont know if you are interested in buyinga second hard wedding dress I got married last year and im selling my wedding dress its in perfect condition and its georgous with pearls and diamonds through dress size 12 ivory in colour I can email you pic's if you like just email me on linda_b_007@yahoo.com or contact me on 0877798861 prize 600 or nearest offer. take care and congradulations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Amerie

Just a word of warning...Don't go near the bridal hall... I got married and found what I thought was my dream dress there... and it would have been my dream dress if the alterations etc were done right... lets just say you don't want to be like me... 3 days before the wedding and trying to find another wedding dress as the one you bought was messed up!! On a positive note the shop I found the 2nd dress in was in Carlow down the end of the main street (don't know the name.. it used to be Cinderella's I think)... they were a god send... but don't do alterations!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

kizzyf wrote: »
    Would recommend Jeutonic in Kilkenny, The Wedding Collection in Carlow and the Bridal Hall in Portlaoise. Joanna's Brides in Portlaoise have a nice collection but not so great customer service. You could also try the place in Stradbally if you like La Sposa dresses.
    Amerie wrote: »
    Just a word of warning...Don't go near the bridal hall... I got married and found what I thought was my dream dress there... and it would have been my dream dress if the alterations etc were done right... lets just say you don't want to be like me... 3 days before the wedding and trying to find another wedding dress as the one you bought was messed up!! On a positive note the shop I found the 2nd dress in was in Carlow down the end of the main street (don't know the name.. it used to be Cinderella's I think)... they were a god send... but don't do alterations!

Good luck!

Seriously, avoid the Bridal Hall at all costs.
    pinkie123 wrote: »
    hiya I dont know if you are interested in buyinga second hard wedding dress I got married last year and im selling my wedding dress its in perfect condition and its georgous with pearls and diamonds through dress size 12 ivory in colour I can email you pic's if you like just email me on linda_b_007@yahoo.com or contact me on 0877798861 prize 600 or nearest offer. take care and congradulations.
    - am...you might want to remove your mobile number/e-mail, this is a public site you know, nothing like a stalker to ruin your weekend. Pm the op instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

everyone is buying their shopping up the north these days, why not wedding dresses too.

Yea i know im thinking of heading up there next weekend for a look & do a bit of shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

Victorias bridal in Carlow town, she has just moved and is now opposite Dominoes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

you could check out marie mcelheron in arklow, she designs and makes wedding dresses to order, i've heard very good things about her from my friend who got hers there www.mariemcelheron.com

Went to Victorias Bridal in Carlow yesterday the girl was very helpfull & friendly found the dress for me & if i order it before March 14th ill save 3OOEuro :D love a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

kizzyf wrote: »

I went to the place in Stradbally last year when I was dress shopping. She has some fab dresses but they're pretty expensive.

I ended up buying my dress on-line from RK Bridal. The dress would have cost 2200 euro here and I got it for under 1000 which included alterations and customs. I'd recommend you try that route if you want to save a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

i heard scary stories on a radio show recently about buying a wedding dress online, the suppliers often use inferior fabric and offcuts in direct online sales, and then farm the labour out in batches to contractors, because there is no comeback on a one off purchase, whereas if the supplier deals with a shop they have to maintain high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Hi All,

My misses is selling her wedding dress if interested here is the link to gumtree website, and yes she was a smashing bride on the day :D

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/92/33014492.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

tradtshirt wrote: »
    i heard scary stories on a radio show recently about buying a wedding dress online, the suppliers often use inferior fabric and offcuts in direct online sales, and then farm the labour out in batches to contractors, because there is no comeback on a one off purchase, whereas if the supplier deals with a shop they have to maintain high standards.

Well I can only go from my own experience which was completely trouble free and the dress was exactly the same as one I tried on here except for the price tag. RK Bridal are very well known, a lot of girls go over to New York sepcifically to buy their dress there. Also, I've heard some horror stories from people who bought their dresses from shops here, problems with alterations, dresses not coming in on time etc. So I suppose you can have trouble whichever way you decide to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ttaf

I got mine from a really lovely lady in Midland Bridal in Birr Co. Offaly. She did the alterations there. After a few experiences with shops who had no interest in dealing with me due to my weight, this woman was a god send. Never once commented on my weight, just what would suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 acousy26

www.sellurdresses.com is a good site for new and once worn dresses should check it out?

Ashlynn wrote: »
    Hi all i know this should go in the wedding thread but im looking for information on where to go in the Laois/Killkenny/Kildare area to buy a wedding dress & if you know of any sales etc please let me know also i want to go somewhere where they will threat you well & do alterations etc & if you could give me a rough idea as to what there price range is aswell i would really appricate it thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ownknee

Bridal hall in portlaoise. Unreal dresses & unreal service. Three freinds of mine got dresses there (always the bridesmaid, never the bride!). They know they're stuff & alterations are always perfect. Good for bridesmaids dresses too if you are looking.
    Have a nice range of tiaras & wedding jewellery too. My sister went to a place in Dublin & she had a nightmare with them trying to get alterations done.
    A friends cousin is driving down to the horse & jockey this weekend because theres a sale on for wedding dresses on in the hotel, a place from cork called Say I Do. Looked at the website & in fairness they have nice stuff.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Nauniek

Did they charge you for your alterations. My sisters wedding is in a few weeks and we ordered all the dresses in Bridal Hall. Low and behold they are all the wrong size. One is even too short. Alterations were supposed to be included but now they want to charge and wont tell her how much. After reading this comment think we will not be allowing them to alter anyway.:mad:

Amerie wrote: »

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Amerie

Well I got my bridesmaids dresses there too and they didn't even measure the people... They said "We've been in the business a long time, we know what size they are just by looking at them"... We didn't trust that but the alterations were about 50quid etc if not included! Awful I know but I can't actually remember... I try not to think of that part as I pass the shop alot and it takes my strenght to stay calm! With the bridesmaids dresses as it happens only one of them needed to be shortened and taken in slightly (I could have done it so not much room for error) but with my own wedding dress... The person who altered it after the shop handed it over said that the bones were placed incorrectly and stitched in wrong which made it impossible to move them without ruining the dress bodice shape and they took it in from the sides but left no fabric to allow it to be let out again and when the person tried to let it out there were marks and pin holes all over like someone had tried and failed and tried again type of thing... Look I could give out all day about what happened with my dress etc ....I wouldn't let them alter anything but I've already been stung! Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Nauniek

Thanks for replying. GOing to try them all on tomorrow so hopefully some of them will be ok. Dont know what to do about the bridal dress yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MICHMASH76

Hi, i am also looking for a wedding dress, i have looked at a lot of shops in Ireland. Has anybody looked at online shops? I am looking at 21stcenturybrides there are some really nice cheap dresses on there, and it has good reviews too. Has anyone shopped there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

MICHMASH76 wrote: »
    Hi, i am also looking for a wedding dress, i have looked at a lot of shops in Ireland. Has anybody looked at online shops? I am looking at 21stcenturybrides there are some really nice cheap dresses on there, and it has good reviews too. Has anyone shopped there yet?

Hi there, best wishes. An exciting time for you. I just thought I'd point out the weddings forum to you, seeing a you're requesting insights on online shopping http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=670

The Laois forum AND a 2 year old thread that those punters probably aren't following by email is probably not the best place to solve your enquiry.

Happy Hunting :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement