Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt broadband speed issue

Options
  • 18-12-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Anyone haveing some issues with their broadband at the moment? getting between 100kbps and 700kbps down on a 8meg line at the mo in cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I do get it at peak hours. Drops to 100kbps and websites take a long time to load.

I'm with BT in Palmerstown, Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

im suffering the same fate the last few days :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Same thing for the past few nights in Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

Well iv been unable to download a file that takes longer then 4min to download all night, as i keep getting 1-2sec DCs

and can anyone tell me how i have a better ping and distance to Galways Hub when i live in Dublin city center

bbspeedsyx2.jpg

BTs 24mb, also just to add, I live about 4min walk from the whitehall exchange and that is the speeds i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I've just recently gotten BT broadband in a new apartment.

Got their 6Mb package but they told me that because the Shankill exchange can't handle it, it will only be 3Mb.

3Mb I can live with, but the black knight speed test that I've been running every so often since I've been online today isn't even showing 1Mb download speeds. I'm getting somewhere between 300-600k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i'm on 3MB broadband in waterford, been getting slow download speeds in the evenings for the last while. it seems to be getting worse lately, taking ages to download any webpage with pictures, miserable download speeds from rapidshare like under 30kbps!

it's fine during the day though, so it seems to be a contention issue - does it matter what broadband supplier i'm with? i.e. if i was with eircom would i still have the same problem? until now, contention has never been an issue since i first got broadband a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've just recently gotten BT broadband in a new apartment.

Got their 6Mb package but they told me that because the Shankill exchange can't handle it, it will only be 3Mb.

3Mb I can live with, but the black knight speed test that I've been running every so often since I've been online today isn't even showing 1Mb download speeds. I'm getting somewhere between 300-600k...
    Same here. Shankill on BT. Currently getting 122kbps, with a quality of service of 1%. :eek: Was fine earlier on. I wish I could get cable. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

same here in rush for the last 5 nights. cant download anything over 10mb. after that it gets limited to 2/5 kbkps rediculous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

yeah suffering a weird issue with the connection dropping a lot. the accout isnt throttled but its hard to stream video or sound smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, terrible for the last two-three days, was getting 5kb on 1mb line!

Way better at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

My 3mbs pings are so unstable recently

With jumps from 14-300

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Just home after a year away, turned on the router and I'm getting 20k/sec :( both irishisptest and speedtest.net put me at 6megs, but http downloads are all coming down around 20k - ie.kernel.org, ie.archive.ubuntu.com etc.

Oddly, http://www.irishisptest.com/files/250megabytefile comes down at 600k/sec - it's possible BT are having routing issues.

I rang their tech support line (even though it was already out of hours) and there was a hurried voice message stating that they are having issues in the 018 area. 018 is just south of me (I'm in Drogheda), so it could be related. I'll be ringing them in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Having huge problems today.. browsing is ok but downloading is a joke. Can't get about 50 kbps and meant to be on a 3 meg line.

Speedtest.net with a test to Limerick gives me a line just above 2 megs. Same test to Dublin gives me a download of 193.

This is an absolute joke, I'm in the 018 area and this is probably the third term the service has been down as a whole in about a year. That coupled with the fact that I've had problems with the line itself which they wont fix means I'm going to be calling them very angrily tomorrow and getting away from this hellhole joke of a service.

Provided I can get Chorus or something before Christmas.... doubt it though, guess I'll have to hold off until after Christmas :(

Anyone who called them have an estimated time of it being fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

It's also the same problem on UTV and our neighbour is on Eircon and he is having similar problems.
    Here's my 3mb line Date 21/12/08 21:51:06 Speed Down 125.21 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps ) Speed Up 69.33 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

Yup, UTV's been crap all evening, only getting =/<100Kbps :(
    homer911 wrote: »

Did some of you miss this post btw, because all ISPs are gonna be affected by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Shred wrote: »
    Yup, UTV's been crap all evening, only getting =/<100Kbps :(

Did some of you miss this post btw, because all ISPs are gonna be affected by this?

No these are the same issues we had when the 7mb upgrades were done.

I've checked the servers and its the same ones that have the problem

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446072

When the cables were cut last time, we never had these problems. And it was 3 out of 4 that time.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/19/three-of-four-undersea-internet-cables-get-cut-hasnt-affected/
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7218008.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7222536.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

BT customer in North Kerry, Speeds for the last 4 days on a 2gig service ?? dropping to as low as 50mbps, this is dropping a couple of times an hour, reset modem, checked filters and finally last night decided I needed to use cust support, rang at 7.59 and got usual message please wait and tech will be with u shortly held until 9 pm getting madder and then recorded voice advised line closed please use email ****** now any company can have problems but its how they deal with them that counts. I emailed them setting out what happened including my mobile number, as yet no email and no phone call.
    BT seem to have zero interest in customers once they are signed up.
    I will formally complain if no contact by tonight and will forward details to OFCOM, they unfortunatly seem to be toothless so whats one to do Joe Duffy ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

i had this issue for a couple of hours for 1 day. but nothin at all since. dling atm at 1.7MB/sec and can use web or play games at same time. 24meg in clondalkin. i get 16meg due to distance from xchange.

Advertisement