Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So TV Inspectors actually do exist...

Options
  • 18-12-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Redirect this as required. I searched under 'TV Liscence' and could not figure out a suitable forum.

The TV Inspector just knocked on my door. He asked that I tend to my liscence in the coming weeks. I expected an 'on the spot' fine.

I do not watch Irish television. In fact, I dislike it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to become exempt from this charge? Can I not have Chorus block my Irish channels?

I accept that I have to pay it this time. I'm thinking about the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Can anyone point me in the right direction to become exempt from this charge?

1. Get rid of your telly.
    2. Be over 70 years of age.
    3. You could make yourself blind. On the plus side - you would then be entitled to a free tv licence, however on the other hand, you'd lose the use of your eyes - and not just for watching the telly, all the time.

Here are some other legal loopholes.

4. You could consider getting someone with severe physical/mental difficulties to come live with you, because if you are receiving a Carer's Allowance, you get a free tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

no if you have cable installations or antenna or a tv you must pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

As the law stands at the moment, any device capable of receiving a TV signal needs a TV licence. Even if it's broken but repairable you need to pay. I imagine even having Early To Bed 1 and Early To Bed 2 blocked would amount to the same thing as having a "repairable" TV.

In summary, you have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

There is nowt you can do but pay or dump your tv, both the tv license and motor tax are 2 payments I cannot justify paying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

There is no way to be exempt. It doesn't matter what channels you watch or even if you watch TV at all. As long as you have a device capable of receiving a TV signal you have to pay for a TV licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This would make a great court case, if you could prove you didnt watch RTÉ there'd be no reason for paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You could also take it to the European courts. At the very least you can make a complaint against RTE to the EU on the grounds that they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee. This is not allowed to be done under the European law and so RTE are fined every single year because of this but they still advertise and still break the European law because the fines are so low and meaningless to them.

Would prefer to see the fine raised to 50 million Euro for the first offense and triple in size for every year thereafter that they continue to advertise and break the EU law.

If they raise the fines to 50 million Euro+ I might even vote yes in the next referendum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    This would make a great court case, if you could prove you didnt watch RTÉ there'd be no reason for paying it.

No it wouldn't make a great court case because that's not the way the law is written. You're not paying to watch RTÉ. You're paying a licence to own a device which can receive a TV signal.
    It would however make a reasonable case for having the law changed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Live in a caravan for the rest of your life. No fixed abode. That'll sort the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Ha! One came to my place, too. No sense of humor whatsoever. Came back 10 minutes later and apologized for having the wrong address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nehaxak wrote: »
    make a complaint against RTE to the EU on the grounds that they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee
    RTE are not 'pulling in the licence fee'. It doesn't go directly to them.

And, as has been said, the licence fee is for having the TV set. It's irrelevant what one watches on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

RTE are losing money from advertising so expect more TV inspections, I'd say.
    Could the TV licence go up again too?

I can't believe Europe let them away with a fine every year. Surely repeated offences warrent stiffer punishment :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BravoSierra

they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee. This is not allowed to be done under the European law and so RTE are fined every single year because of this but they still advertise and still break the European law because the fines are so low and meaningless to them.

Intriguing. I imagine I'd either need a voluntary solicitor or would have to incur hefty fees myself to reprimand them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Throw out your telly. Get a big PC monitor and watch youtube. Sorted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

RTE are not 'pulling in the licence fee'. It doesn't go directly to them.

And, as has been said, the licence fee is for having the TV set. It's irrelevant what one watches on it.

But what does the money go towards? In what way does me owning a set cost the government so that I in return must recompensate them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

You could also take it to the European courts. At the very least you can make a complaint against RTE to the EU on the grounds that they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee. This is not allowed to be done under the European law and so RTE are fined every single year because of this but they still advertise and still break the European law because the fines are so low and meaningless to them.

Would prefer to see the fine raised to 50 million Euro for the first offense and triple in size for every year thereafter that they continue to advertise and break the EU law.

If they raise the fines to 50 million Euro+ I might even vote yes in the next referendum :D

Several EU countries operate licence fee + advertising. Care to post a link to this EU law?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That's a load of bravo sierra there if you don't mind me saying.
    And if you'd just hand me my hat there on my way out that'd be just darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Never heard of this, that's mental?!

And yet they can fine people who don't have a licence.... fúck that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Question I payed the 170 earlier in the year - but I have got no correspondance since - I have no idea when I need to pay again or proof that I have paid - where can I get such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well strangley enough I once lived in a flat and because i was just sleeping there most of the time when not working, had no need or time for a tv .So I keep getting there repeat demands to pay for a a tv licence ,a tv i never had nor used , again , again ,again for approx a year .So one day i phoned them up and explained to this fcukwith ( nothing personell ) that A .- I didnt have a tv nor would i pay for the shyte if i had to ( i was just being a nusience becauser of their annoying letters ) Fine ,or so I though but NO, These people were /are convinced that I , Joe public was lying ( doesnt everybody ) ? of course not , but you see what hassle you can have in just trying to tell the truth ? .I am sure their are thousends more like me who have at one time had various froms of hassle such as I described from officialdom .

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Question I payed the 170 earlier in the year - but I have got no correspondance since - I have no idea when I need to pay again or proof that I have paid - where can I get such?

Its gone up to 200 according to what I was told. The Post Office should be able to recall your payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

Do you have to let the inspector inside your door?Like can you tell them that you don't have a tv to buy some time?In fairness i'm a student and really wouldnt have the money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wibbs wrote: »
    Throw out your telly. Get a big PC monitor and watch youtube. Sorted.
    I was going to suggest the very same, except the youtube part.

OP, for approx 6 months this year I was without tv, i used the internet to download everything I watched and it was MUCH better. No ads, no waiting a week to see an episode(provided you download full seasons).

Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Do you have to let the inspector inside your door?Like can you tell them that you don't have a tv to buy some time?In fairness i'm a student and really wouldnt have the money!
    You dont have to let anybody inside your home , he/she could be a serial killer for all ya know . Tell him to go fcuk himself .

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

only tv license?? .. what about teapot license or computer license

latchyco wrote: »
    You dont have to let anybody inside your home , he/she could be a serial killer for all ya know . Tell him to go fcuk himself .

He didn't enter my home. They have your name printed on list. It corrosponds with an An Post database.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I do not watch Irish television. In fact, I dislike it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to become exempt from this charge?
    Yes. Address a strongly worded letter of protest to Jesus, c/o The Pentagon, USA and then fashion a hat from empty CornFlake packets and tinfoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Yes. Address a strongly worded letter of protest to Jesus, c/o The Pentagon, USA and then fashion a hat from empty CornFlake packets and tinfoil.

I loled. Might I sign up for your newsletter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't make Jesus mad.

• Advertisement

Why the hat?

Advertisement