Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So TV Inspectors actually do exist...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Another interesting site on TV licensing, more to do with the UK and the BBC but makes interesting reading.
    http://www.marmalade.net/lime/

At least the BBC don't advertise, they have great transparency in their public accounts (something rte still refuses to do, there's no transparency at all with rte finances) and provide decent programming compared to the rubbish that we have to pay for with rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I cannot quote the exact case and exact times, fines etc., as RTE do not reveal this information even after FOI requests but I do know that the fines where related to regulations around EU public service broadcasting regulations and the Television Without Frontiers Directives.
    ]

Regardless of RTE's willingness (or lack of it) to reveal details, surely with the other countries that operate in the same way it should be easy enough to dig up info on at least one fo them seeing as they are all being fined every year?

At least the BBC don't advertise, .

It's a lot easier to fund a network on a population about 15 times higher than Irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

There is only one way of avoiding a tv licence and it is this:
    When yer man arrives at the door with his poxy civil servant badge tell him to get the **** off my property and when he is still standing throw
    the old sec 40.1 article of Bunreacht na heireann at him.
    " The dwelling of each person is invoiable and shall not be entered save in accordance with law"
    In short he has no legal standing (or warrant) to be there (enter private property including curtilage) so tell him to go and sh**e.

Fas, voting machines, hse, mary harney, biffo, me bo**ix

END OF STORY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Krieg wrote: »
    I dunno if you should joke about that.
    I can seriously see the government bringing in a computer license as the growth in digital distribution continues

I won't be paying for a computer licence.

"Hmm, we need money, I know lets get money from taxing the millions of people with computers"

How in gods name could they even justify that? And you need a reciever card thingy to get TV (unless you go on the net)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Fas, voting machines, hse, mary harney, biffo, me bo**ix

END OF STORY!!!

A bunch of unrelated things? Good debating style. But allow me to counter:

Cat, turnip, Microsoft, Peru, Roald Dahl, Rolf's Cartoon Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You could also take it to the European courts. At the very least you can make a complaint against RTE to the EU on the grounds that they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee. This is not allowed to be done under the European law and so RTE are fined every single year because of this but they still advertise and still break the European law because the fines are so low and meaningless to them.

Would prefer to see the fine raised to 50 million Euro for the first offense and triple in size for every year thereafter that they continue to advertise and break the EU law.

If they raise the fines to 50 million Euro+ I might even vote yes in the next referendum :D

This is beyond untrue, in to the realms of fantasy

1: There is no law against licenced funded broadcasters carrying advertising
    2: RTE have never been fined, due to 1.

javaboy wrote: »
    A bunch of unrelated things? Good debating style. But allow me to counter:

Cat, turnip, Microsoft, Peru, Roald Dahl, Rolf's Cartoon Club.

ha ha ahh ha ha ha!!! Your drunker than i am!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ha ha ahh ha ha ha!!! Your drunker than i am!!!!!

Stone cold sober actually. I just don't get how listing off a bunch of unrelated things is justification for not paying the TV licence. :)

darling.x wrote: »
    Its stupidity that we need to have a license for every tv that we have in the house.

I've a tv on my phone. I can pick the four tv channels. Its a japanese phone.

It'll be a cold day in hell before i'd get a license for my phone.

One licence covers the house plus any battery operated TVs you have - like the phone. This isn't Germany (where you need a licence for the family, every 18+ kid, and a radio licence for each car).

The amount of misinformation in this thread is shocking even for AH.

Dear RTE:

Stop making sh1te tv shows. I mean there's the talent in this country for some fantastic stuff. Look at Fr. Ted! But it's all gone to waste as ye keep turning out these god awful reality tv shows with 'celebrities' nobody gives a toss about.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    Stone cold sober actually. I just don't get how listing off a bunch of unrelated things is justification for not paying the TV licence. :)

Ok for the benefit of the how do i put this ?? em less informed
    biffo, hse etc means that this- rte is run by the state and receives massive cash injections annually along with huge advertsing revenue, they are noot spending their millions correctly and so dont desrve my 170 euro tv licence fine. i have watched re runs of poor tv entertainment for too long!!

oops sorry forgot my little smiley man:D

Ok for the benefit of the how do i put this ?? em less informed
    biffo, hse etc means that this- rte is run by the state and receives massive cash injections annually along with huge advertsing revenue, they are noot spending their millions correctly and so dont desrve my 170 euro tv licence fine. i have watched re runs of poor tv entertainment for too long!!

How is it RTEs fault if you've been watching BBC2, 3, 4, E4, More4, ITV everything... :P

MYOB wrote: »
    How is it RTEs fault if you've been watching BBC2, 3, 4, E4, More4, ITV everything... :P
    im watching dr phil, (us), oprah (us) Judge judy(us), wheres the good irish stuff?????
    only dacent bit of irish tv is seoige and her FINE sister!!!

Is it RTE that the television license fees go to? If so, does TV3 and TG4 have anything to do with RTE. Or is it just RTE and Network 2? I mean why should we pay for 2 channels of sh1te when the majority of the TV shows they play aren't even irish.

Oh and it should only apply to analogue users, not digital/cable. They are already paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

im watching dr phil, (us), oprah (us) Judge judy(us), wheres the good irish stuff?????

You watch that ****e and you have the gall to criticise RTE's homegrown stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

In my house at college we got a call about 6 weeks ago, when someone called on the door I screamed 'don't answer it' cause normally people just walk in. He said we had till the first of December, really sound about it. Forgot until today though, ah **** it sure.

Is it RTE that the television license fees go to? If so, does TV3 and TG4 have anything to do with RTE. Or is it just RTE and Network 2? I mean why should we pay for 2 channels of sh1te when the majority of the TV shows they play aren't even irish.

Oh and it should only apply to analogue users, not digital/cable. They are already paying for it.

The licence fee goes to the state. MOST of it goes to RTE. SOME goes to TG4 and some to the BCI who dole it out to anyone (BBC, TV3, local radio, etc all get some from this).

RTE get not one penny from DTT, cable or satellite users no matter what they are paying their provider - the TV licence is seperate to this. It is your choice to pay for TV, just as its your choice to have one in the first place...

Stekelly wrote: »
    You watch that ****e and you have the gall to criticise RTE's homegrown stuff?
    Ah come on id say you watch dr phil now and again!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Some people like to pay out money to a useless broadcaster, fair enough, your choice that you're stupid enough to do so (or self serving protecting some kind of interest maybe ? self, family, friend work for them hmm ?) but the rest of us in the country, the VAST majority of Irish people do NOT want to pay money for a TV license. I challenge anyone anywhere to prove otherwise.

If you want to watch RTE and the few other shíte Irish stations then why can't it be like a subscription model ?
    If I want to watch Sky, I have to pay for it.
    If I don't want to watch RTE, eh, I still have to pay for it.

Jobs for the boys, more money for the elite, same old inbred Irish people pushing their rules and laws on to the public for their own benefit.

If I want to watch RTE I'll pay for it, if I don't want to watch RTE I should NOT have to pay for it.

Simple as that really, I shouldn't be forced to pay for something I do not watch, do not want to watch, never did want to watch and never will want to watch.

• Advertisement

Subscription TV is a race to the bottom, producing turgid, worthless ****.

Public service broadcasting is REQUIRED to maintain any level of quality in television, ditto in radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

MYOB wrote: »
    Subscription TV is a race to the bottom, producing turgid, worthless ****.

Public service broadcasting is REQUIRED to maintain any level of quality in television, ditto in radio.

Especially when it comes to news coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was renting in my last house (brand new - first occupants) for 14 months, we never got a TV license. After we moved out and were coming back the odd day for bits and pieces and there was a letter from TV license people. Couldn't have come at a better time, they said they would call by a certain date. we were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

"COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION ON THE APPLICATION OF
    STATE AID RULES TO PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING

47 The Commission's task is to verify whether or not Member States respect the Treaty provisions. As regards the definition of the public service in the broadcasting sector, the role of the Commission is limited to checking for manifest error. It is not for the Commission to decide whether a programme is to be provided as a service of general economic interest, nor to question the nature or the quality of a certain product. The definition of the public service remit would, however, be in manifest error if it included activities that could not reasonably be considered to meet - in the wording of the Protocol - the "democratic, social and cultural needs of each society". That would normally be the position in the case of advertising, e-commerce, teleshopping, sponsoring or merchandising, for example. In this context, it must be recalled that the public service remit describes the services offered to the public in the general interest. The question of the definition of the public service remit must not be confused with the question of the financing mechanism chosen to provide these services. Therefore, whilst public service broadcasters may perform commercial activities such as the sale of advertising space in order to obtain revenue, such activities cannot be viewed as part of the public service remit."

Apart from the quote in Bold, I don't see anything that would explain RTE being fined or anything. I agree that they shouldn't be let advertise every frickin 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I searched under 'TV Liscence' and could not figure out a suitable forum.
    That's because it's actually spelled licence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Some people like to pay out money to a useless broadcaster, fair enough, your choice that you're stupid enough to do so (or self serving protecting some kind of interest maybe ? self, family, friend work for them hmm ?) but the rest of us in the country, the VAST majority of Irish people do NOT want to pay money for a TV license. I challenge anyone anywhere to prove otherwise.

Get rid of your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

You could also take it to the European courts. At the very least you can make a complaint against RTE to the EU on the grounds that they are advertising while also pulling in a license fee. This is not allowed to be done under the European law and so RTE are fined every single year because of this but they still advertise and still break the European law because the fines are so low and meaningless to them.

Would prefer to see the fine raised to 50 million Euro for the first offense and triple in size for every year thereafter that they continue to advertise and break the EU law.

If they raise the fines to 50 million Euro+ I might even vote yes in the next referendum :D

The EU most likely want the money - why would the increase the price in incriments ? :)

It would be a positive move for a yes vote, thats for sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bastards have been hounding me for the last six years to geta licence.They dont know my name though,so i keep getting all these letters adressed to "The resident,123 fake street" saying "We KNOW you dont have a licence..you better get one etc".
    **** em,i never answer the door either just in case its an inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

The TV Inspector just knocked on my door. He asked that I tend to my liscence in the coming weeks. I expected an 'on the spot' fine.

I accept that I have to pay it this time. I'm thinking about the future.

OP is a tv licence inspector trying to fool you all..

don't believe his wily pleadings.. the TV licence man will NEVER get you..

RESIST!!! REVOLT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just do what I did when the inspector calls- insist that any dealings are conducted through Irish ( it's your right ). Then insist through Irish that he does not appear to be fluent enough for your understanding and that he should have spent more time in 6th class learning how to conjugate a verb as Gaeilge. Chances are you'll never see him again, I didn't:pac:

Funnily enough it was their current ad with the students pretending they are from Poland and China that gave me the idea.

Advertisement