Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC (NTL) Very Slow this Evening (Dublin 11)

Options
  • 18-12-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Anybody having problems with their UPC broadband this evening? I usually get full speed (1200KB/s) but tonight it's at a pathetic 600KB/s...

Anybody else experiencing problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Also got slow for me earlier, now I can't connect to a lot of sites. On UPC in Dublin 24

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Same here in Dublin 8. Also cannot access Hotmail at all.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Same deal, I am on the 20 Mb package.

375204701.png

I can't connect to one of my Ventrilo Servers, and I MSN and Quakenet are constantly connecting and disconnecting.

Waterford btw ....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can't get on to Something Awful, and a few other sites. (Dublin 24)

375221951.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Same probs here, some sites I can't access at all
    Galway here, so might be nationwide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

only able to get a few select sites, Dublin 8 here, normally 10mb which I get a full whack of from speed test

375224610.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Anyone rang them? I once assumed that someone else had, but when I rang up with a problem that several other boardies had (that time in the same area), they said it was the first they heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Same here in D12.

US based sites/services really slow in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Same d6w, most non .IE sites aren't working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

oceanclub wrote: »
    Anyone rang them? I once assumed that someone else had, but when I rang up with a problem that several other boardies had (that time in the same area), they said it was the first they heard of it!

No offence, but thats pretty much what they say all of the time, even when I had rung up a few hours previous telling them exactly the same thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

**** for me, when i was playing the xbox.. when i was the host of the game it would cause the xbox to lock up due to the load.. now i can't sign into live gettin some mtu error..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Same here, in Lucan on a 20Mb but getting about 1.5Mb down and about the same up. Anyone on the phone to them? I'm on hold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Also on hold in Malahide, for 11mins now at that. I really do pity the cow who gets to answer me because im going to do my nut given the chance.

We dont deserve this utter ****e on top of €3 for not bothering to direct debit AND a €6 penalty for not having the TV.

Same here, any Microsoft sites, including Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger, aren't working and CNN.com isn't either (Dublin 9).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And it's definetly them, I established a VPN to my office and a VPN to a US provider I have and once established everything on the interweb works fine.

Disconnect the VPN and try using UPC alone and nada, most us sites do not work (I can't even get foxnews.com or microsoft.com).

And it was working so fine in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GARTECH

I checked my MTU setting by going into Command prompt. But it said my MTU setting was at 1500. I cant connect to xbox live at all. It tells me i dont have my MTU settings set high enough. Anyone got an answer?

Got thru anyway, she tried the whole did you try shutting down your machine and modem rubbish, so i went for the jugular. Finally admitted they were getting a lot of calls "in the last few mins" about it. Someone will call you back within the next 24 hours, don't bother I said it'll be fixed at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Swords here and it's very slow. Can't get onto some sites either

I'm on 20mb.

375237279.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Glad it's not just me! Did anybody ring UPC yet? I have to go collect the GF right now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

GARTECH wrote: »
    I checked my MTU setting by going into Command prompt. But it said my MTU setting was at 1500. I cant connect to xbox live at all. It tells me i dont have my MTU settings set high enough. Anyone got an answer?

Xbox Live won't let you connect if you have an MTU above 300

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just off the phone. Guy was extremely friendly but not helpful but I got the impression it wasn't his fault - told him I'd heard from a number of people accross the country on a message board (didn't mention boards.ie by name don't worry) that the speed seemed crap everywhere and he basically agreed :P

He escalated it, nothing else they could do. Anyhone thinking of phoning I'd say dont bother.

Funnily enough I used to use Teamspeak on DIALUP but its failing on me atm. Queer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GARTECH

Thanx never had a problem before. On my network test page on xbox it reads as follows "Your network does not have asufficent MTU setting . Xbox live requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364" Its just one of those nights it will be fixed by 2mrw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm the same, can't access certain websites :mad:

It's probably DNS errors if the problem is limited to certain sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Glad it's not just me! Did anybody ring UPC yet? I have to go collect the GF right now...

Got automated service saying they are aware of problems with TV, Broadband and Phone in Dublin 11 area and are working to fix it . bla bla bla.

Bleh, speed increased to 15Mb there but didn't last long, down to 5Mb now. All over the shop.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Man I'm getting quite pissed off with them about this. its happening quite too often these days, and its always the night I go to have a few games of the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'm the same, can't access certain websites :mad:

It's probably DNS errors if the problem is limited to certain sites.

I use opendns and have the same problems, it's the routing to the certain us sites.

The fun is that if you try to visit some us sites that for example use akamai technology for hosting/speed the route goves over to uk-xxxx-.aorta.net and hence your us site is there (foxnews.com for example). CNN.com which is hosted in the us dies after us-was-xxx.aorta.net .

So somewhere down the road in the US there is a problem, and given that aorta.net is nothing else than UPC Distribution Services I'm sure they work hard in amsterdam now on solving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Bad in Galway too.Some 20 meg connection, pitiful service

375225634.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oddly enough the speed seems to be back up to something relatively normal.

375252509.png

Advertisement