Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WW2 Collectors

• 18-12-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Is anybody into collecting anything to do with WW2, memorabilia, models, uniforms etc, or have you anything of interest that you just happened to come across.
    I'm a 3rd year mature student with 3 kids so i dont have much money to invest in my collection yet but I do try to buy a few cheaper things from time to time. At the minute I am about to buy either an Ostfront medal (Russian Front Medal) or a Wound Badge in black, both of which can be got for under €30, not bad for a genuine peice of history.
    I recently bought a strip of K98 bullets, dated 1940, about €10 I think, I also have a few death cards from German soldiers, my wife hates them but I find them fascinating, its interesting to find the date they died and their unit then read up about the battle that finally took their life, it gives it all a little extra dimension I think.
    I also like collecting model tanks, planes and soldiers, I love forces of valor tanks and can.Do model soilders are really good, great detail.
    Apart from that I have a few peices of repro uniform, I have a reversible splinter parka, an m42 helmet and a bergmutz cap, a wooden stick grenade plus an airsoft MP40.
    Some day when I am rich I will have an extensive collecvtion, but for now this stuff will have to do me.
    I am in talks with a guy at the minute about buying a deactivated MG34, if he lets me put down a small deposit and pay bit by bit I may have it by this time next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I havent got any WW2 memoribilia to speak of but would like to get my hands on on an American M-1 helmet .I know they can vary in price for between £25 / £ 80 or more , depending on wear and tear or if replica .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

You are lucky you are into American militaria, German stuff costs a fortune, a basic helmet in shabby condition will cost at least €400, if it has any type of camo paint or a decal remaining you can add a few hundred more. It is a very interesting and very very addictive hobby once you start, I have had to actually stop myself going into the bank for a loan for the MG34, my wife would kill me. Hard enough to buy food some weeks, if I land home with a machine gun some day!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I also collect militaria WWII & WWI. There is a whole forum for that here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

You could also check out the excellent Wehrmacht Awards Forum. Items posted in their for sale area is open for group discussion and there are some world class experts/researchers on there and any pieces 'not exactly right' will be pulled so it cuts down on the fakes (unlike ebay). Also prices tend to be quite good too. There is also a model section with some incredible pieces get posted there from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

latchyco wrote: »
    I havent got any WW2 memoribilia to speak of but would like to get my hands on on an American M-1 helmet .I know they can vary in price for between £25 / £ 80 or more , depending on wear and tear or if replica .

The M1 was in use for a long time so be careful. A real deal WWII M1 helmet with front seam and fixed bale will cost a hell of a lot more than £80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've a French WWII helmet and a Soviet Naval hat (hammer and sickle and all)
    was very proud to have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Moved to Militaria Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Is anybody into collecting anything to do with WW2, memorabilia, models, uniforms etc, or have you anything of interest that you just happened to come across.
    I'm a 3rd year mature student with 3 kids so i dont have much money to invest in my collection yet but I do try to buy a few cheaper things from time to time. At the minute I am about to buy either an Ostfront medal (Russian Front Medal) or a Wound Badge in black, both of which can be got for under €30, not bad for a genuine peice of history.
    I recently bought a strip of K98 bullets, dated 1940, about €10 I think, I also have a few death cards from German soldiers, my wife hates them but I find them fascinating, its interesting to find the date they died and their unit then read up about the battle that finally took their life, it gives it all a little extra dimension I think.
    I also like collecting model tanks, planes and soldiers, I love forces of valor tanks and can.Do model soilders are really good, great detail.
    Apart from that I have a few peices of repro uniform, I have a reversible splinter parka, an m42 helmet and a bergmutz cap, a wooden stick grenade plus an airsoft MP40.
    Some day when I am rich I will have an extensive collecvtion, but for now this stuff will have to do me.
    I am in talks with a guy at the minute about buying a deactivated MG34, if he lets me put down a small deposit and pay bit by bit I may have it by this time next year.
    Welcome to the forum motherfunker,you've come to the right place!enjoy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Hi,
    This thread was meant for the WW2 forum but for some reason has been moved here. I have asked for it to be moved back to the WW2 forum so please do not feel the need to reply in this forum, obviously there are loads of people on the militaria forum who are interested in WW2 memorabilia, I was more interested in the views of people on the WW2 forum.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭reaper501

what brand is the mp40

Advertisement