Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD TV Problem

Options
  • 18-12-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi, today I was given an LCD TV (Mitsubishi Black Diamond MD30LCD) that was being thrown out, so I thought I would take it and see if there was any way of fixing it. When I turn it on, I get a flash of a picture for 1 second, then black screen. Cannot see any menus etc, I get sound great - just no picture, but i'm sure the screen itself is fine due to the 1 second flash. Cannot find manuals on line (to try factory reset), have tested on coax, RGB and scart input. Any advise or can anyone tell me if it would be worth bringing it to a repair shop, or just binning it ? - Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is it just the back light on the LCD?

Like if you angle it up to the light, you can just about see the picture on the screen?

If the back light is on and all the pixels set to black, it would still throw off some light you could see...

It sounds like the inverter driving the back light on the LCD is shutting down... If it is this it would probably be easy enough to fix, could be as simple as a bad electrolitic capacitor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Yeah, I didn't notice straight away but sometimes you can make out movement on the screen although my wife says she cant see it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Deisenaut wrote: »
    Hi, today I was given an LCD TV (Mitsubishi Black Diamond MD30LCD) that was being thrown out, so I thought I would take it and see if there was any way of fixing it. When I turn it on, I get a flash of a picture for 1 second, then black screen. Cannot see any menus etc, I get sound great - just no picture, but i'm sure the screen itself is fine due to the 1 second flash. Cannot find manuals on line (to try factory reset), have tested on coax, RGB and scart input. Any advise or can anyone tell me if it would be worth bringing it to a repair shop, or just binning it ? - Thanks
    I had the exact same problem with my Nordmende LCD. Sound but no picture or just a hint of a flicker. I found that if I left the TV on for about 10-15 minutes with just the sound and then turned it off and on again then the picture normally kicked back in. I wonder do these LCD TV's need their picture heated up or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It sounds like the inverter for the back light is shutting down for some reason.

I'd say its fixable, but someone would need to have the right skills....

Advertisement