Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cruiser

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 baldykelly

Ignorance is the height of stupidity.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fryup, TOMASJ and baldykelly banned for a week.

Stay. On. Topic.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Camelot wrote: »
    Very good (positive) write-up about the Cruiser in todays Irish Times, he was an intellectual, he was outspoken, he was cold, very intense, a true Irish Man, very intelligent but sometimes contradictory in many respects, he was also fervently 'Anti Provo' to which I say "well done Conor", & may he rest in peace.

Interesting how many prople in this Thread are now looking back at the Provo activities (Murder, extortion, knee cappings, bank robberies, etc) through rose tinted spectacles, with some people now saying that Conor Cruise O'Brien was the baddie, while Gerry Adams & the Povo's were the Good Guys :mad:

Conor Cruise O'Brien R.I.P

Not sure it was all positive. Anyone give me a background on this part of their article, with actual links/text?
    he combined strong liberal tendencies with an unremitting hostility to political violence (except, in later years, when it was carried out by Israeli-backed militia against Palestinians)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

A great man. Stood up for what was right when it was dangerous to do so. Criticised the monsters and scum infesting both the Republic and the United Kingdom without fear despite their murderous campaigns and common place murder of those who crossed them.

The hatred and bile he earned amongst those enemies of ordinary, decent Irish people is a shining testament to him.

Ireland needs more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A great man. Stood up for what was right when it was dangerous to do so. Criticised the monsters and scum infesting both the Republic and the United Kingdom without fear despite their murderous campaigns and common place murder of those who crossed them.

Yes he did indeed, love or loathe him, he did have the courage to speak out at the risk to his personal safety. I admire him for that and having the courage and tenacity to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

Sand wrote: »
    A great man.
    Dont you mean a Mad man,
    after all did he not in an article of his in the Independent a few years back, call for the US to assist the British in carrying out "surgial air strikes" in West Belfast,
    and I bet it wasn’t against Loyalists

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Yes he did indeed, love or loathe him, he did have the courage to speak out at the risk to his personal safety. I admire him for that and having the courage and tenacity to do it.
    "personal safety" Who was after him,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

madden1 wrote: »

At certain stages there would have been quite a few suspects I should think , certainly during the 1970s and 1980s.

But he gave us colour telly , bless :p

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0272/D.0272.197404250039.html
    52. Mr. Lemass asked the Minister for Posts and Telegraphs if he has a target date by which all domestically produced TV programmes will be relayed in colour.

Dr. Cruise-O'Brien: Following consideration of a recommendation made in the interim report of the Broadcasting Review Committee on Colour Television, I removed the restrictions on the development of colour television by RTE in July, 1973.

At the present time RTE's television studios are equipped for production of programmes in black and white only, but RTE expect to begin work on reequipping them for colour production this summer.

I understand that, subject to sufficient funds being available, they hope to be in a position to transmit most home produced programmes in colour during 1976.

Mr. Lemass: Will this include news broadcasts?

Dr. Cruise-O'Brien: Where possible, yes it will.

madden1 wrote: »

If you do not know the answer to that, then there is little point in posting on this thread with respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Rot in hell Conor Cruise O'Brien.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If you do not know the answer to that, then there is little point in posting on this thread with respect.
    Very sorry, but I do not know the answer to (who was after him) thats why I asked,
    obviously you do,
    if you can answer it then please do,

Very sorry, but I do not know the answer to (who was after him) thats why I asked,
    obviously you do,
    if you can answer it then please do,

Whose fanboys are seething with hatred for him madden1?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Guns N' Roses? AC/DC?

No idea, but I don't recall asking YOU

Indeed he was behind Section 31 to shut up irish nationalists from voicing their opinions. Yet he had no problem ignoring the many murders of Irish people by British Security forces, he even joined the racist anti-Irish UK Unionist Party at one stage. Ergo he is seen as a traitor to the Irish nation!

Spot on. The fawning praise displayed by some for that man is vomit inducing.

No idea, but I don't recall asking YOU
    Guns N' Roses? AC/DC?

I dont know. The way you guys carry on youd think he spent his time planting no-warning bombs to murder kids and their families out shopping for some obscure political reasons that werent all that important when he sat down and thought about it.

He was a truly great man, and of course, his brilliance inspires the hiss and spitting of those who felt his scorn. For if they didnt lash out in hatred and spite, they might have to wonder if his own anger against them was merited.

I dont know. The way you guys carry on youd think he spent his time planting no-warning bombs to murder kids and their families out shopping for some obscure political reasons that werent all that important when he sat down and thought about it.

Stop talking in riddles and come out and say that you think that myself, Danuogma & madden1 are the fanboys who are seething and wish to do him harm!

Be brave like the Cruiser himself and call a spade a spade or do you want to waffle?

That was that his Loyalist buddies you are talking about' dosent seem to bother you guys what they were and are still at.

Originally Posted by Erin Go Brath View Post
    Indeed he was behind Section 31 to shut up irish nationalists from voicing their opinions. Yet he had no problem ignoring the many murders of Irish people by British Security forces, he even joined the racist anti-Irish UK Unionist Party at one stage. Ergo he is seen as a traitor to the Irish natio

Us Irish have no shame then for all the atrocities that the IRA carried out in our name without any mandate or will of the vast majority of Irish people, its only the British who are guilty? Is that it? Conor Cruise O'Brien called it as it was, others in power constantly ducked the issue, and many still do. In a democracy people are allowed to oppose opinion or dogma, I do believe.

Glasgow
    Stop talking in riddles and come out and say that you think that myself, Danuogma & madden1 are the fanboys who are seething and wish to do him harm!

Be brave like the Cruiser himself and call a spade a spade or do you want to waffle?

Ah Glasgow, I wouldnt dream of saying such a thing. It wounds me that you could even think it. Even should I happen to visit the UK and pass you on one of Glasgows fine streets, I wouldnt even know you to see so how could I claim to know you're anything of the sort?

Anyway, O'Briens dead. Unless someone was planning to desecrate the grave [ I admit not below the standards of those who hated him, of course this assumes they can actually find the grave ] then theres not a lot that can be done to harm him.

madden1
    That was that his Loyalist buddies you are talking about' dosent seem to bother you guys what they were and are still at.

Running for government?

• Advertisement

Lol, CCOB the anti Irish, West Brit bigot also liked to cherry pick information, omit the other side of the story and place all the blame on one doorstep, well done, you and the dead guy share similar "intellectual" traits.
    He was a truly great man, and of course, his brilliance inspires the hiss and spitting of those who felt his scorn. For if they didnt lash out in hatred and spite, they might have to wonder if his own anger against them was merited.

He was a reactionary bigot of the worst kind and no bonus to this country.

Sand, I will happily show you around some of Glasgow's finest streets ;)

Anyway, I am off to watch butch Jack in 24!

Lol, CCOB the anti Irish, West Brit bigot also liked to cherry pick information, omit the other side of the story and place all the blame on one doorstep, well done, you and the dead guy share similar "intellectual" traits.

It appears he and his enemies shared more than they thought. For the Provos are not a fount of a deep and rich understanding of the The Troubles. Though they murdered people, and CCOB, for all his other faults, did not.
    He was a reactionary bigot of the worst kind and no bonus to this country.

Well thats sensationalist. You hate him because he threatened the narrative of your heroes. Your heroes were busy savagely murdering hundreds, thousands of Irish and British people in indiscriminate atrocities and sectarian atrocities. Anyone who pointed this out, like CCOB, MUST be loathed. Because if he is not the target of Provo loathing, then the Provos are left only with their own actions to examine.

And everything, everything I have seen from Provos indicates that at whatever cost, they will do everything in their power to avoid examining their own actions morally and objectively. They will always seek to distract, to shift blame, to complain about attacks on them. They will never, ever, ever face up to their own actions.

Thats why they hate CCOB. He held up a mirror to their atrocities, when it was more popular to go along with the pretence the Provos had invented for themselves of daring freedom fighters with no innocent blood on their hands.

Sand,
    Loyalists Running for government?
    And still killing kids in Ballymena
    Well thats sensationalist. You hate him because he threatened the narrative of your heroes. Your heroes were busy savagely murdering hundreds, thousands of Irish and British people in indiscriminate atrocities and sectarian atrocities. Anyone who pointed this out, like CCOB, MUST be loathed. Because if he is not the target of Provo loathing, then the Provos are left only with their own actions to examine.

And everything, everything I have seen from Provos indicates that at whatever cost, they will do everything in their power to avoid examining their own actions morally and objectively. They will always seek to distract, to shift blame, to complain about attacks on them. They will never, ever, ever face up to their own actions.
    Try and get over the Provos "They have gone away you know" CC did and agreed with them that 32 a county Ireland was best for all

And still killing kids in Ballymena

Nah, only the Provos can get away with murder whilst in government.
    Try and get over the Provos "They have gone away you know" CC did and agreed with them that 32 a county Ireland was best for all

Thats the funny thing. You dont see me screaming abuse in that dead terrorist's thread. I cant think of anything good to say about him. Im sure his family misses him. The families of his victims probably miss his victims too. So whatever.

In this thread we have Danuogma whose practically frothing at the mouth, and hes just the worst of the Provo bunch.

Whose got to get over what again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fryup wrote: »
    hostile?? get real will you.......just because he had differences with them doesn't mean he was hostile to them

He was, however, vociferously so. Have you actually read his output over the last 20 years? It's hysterical (on a number of levels).
    Sand wrote:
    Criticised the monsters and scum infesting both the Republic and the United Kingdom without fear despite their murderous campaigns and common place murder of those who crossed them.

Yet other "murderous campaigns" such as Israels in Lebanon, never seemed to get him worked up at all. Funny that.

You'd almost swear he just had this concept in his head (for reasons unknown) that the only true evil in the world was the RA, and Northern nationalists and he - The Bould Cruiser - was the only one who had been given the Divine Truth of the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

It appears he and his enemies shared more than they thought. For the Provos are not a fount of a deep and rich understanding of the The Troubles. Though they murdered people, and CCOB, for all his other faults, did not.

How many times did CCOB condemn British and British inspired slaughter on this island?. The British murdered and maimed far more people on this island than the IRA ever did yet CCOB was very shy about condemning them. I wonder why :rolleyes:.

Who the F are you, Eoghan Harris???.
    How would you know who my heroes are?. Is it a case of "this guy doesn't think CCOB is a saint, he must be a provo or a provo sympathizer"?. I disliked the scumbag because he was a two faced, pseudo intellectual hypocrite that did immense damage to liberty and freedom in this country.

Yet other "murderous campaigns" such as Israels in Lebanon, never seemed to get him worked up at all. Funny that.

I have never seen you get worked up about the murderous Chinese campaign in Tibet. Funny that.

• Advertisement

Who the F are you, Eoghan Harris???.
    How would you know who my heroes are?. Is it a case of "this guy doesn't think CCOB is a saint, he must be a provo or a provo sympathizer"?. I disliked the scumbag because he was a two faced, pseudo intellectual hypocrite that did immense damage to liberty and freedom in this country.
    How many times did CCOB condemn British and British inspired slaughter on this island?. The British murdered and maimed far more people on this island than the IRA ever did yet CCOB was very shy about condemning them. I wonder why

Yeah, its clear youre an outraged libertarian. Give it a rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement