Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World "price match"

Options
  • 18-12-2008 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

So, 2 weeks ago I was out in PC World in Liffey Valley, and I bought a 1TB SATA Hard Drive for my PC - there was no price on it, and when I brought it to the till, the girl said it was €299.99 - a bit steep I thought, but since it was a Sunday, and I needed it ASAP, I said "go on then", willing to pay what seemed like a little bit over the odds so I didn't have to wait until Monday.

Anyway, when I got out to the car, it just didn't feel right, so I checked the Marx Computers website on my phone (I usually go to these guys, in Fairview). And for a 1TB SATA drive, they charge €135!!
    http://www.marxcomputers.ie/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=HD_SATA&cart_id=

Irritated, I decided to chance my arm at going back in & getting a credit note from PC World, since they didn't actually do anything wrong, and I had merely changed my mind.

While queueing for customer service, I notice these huge signs & banners plastered everywhere saying "PRICE MATCH - if one of our competitors has the same item cheaper, we'll refund you the difference, plus 10%" - sweet, I thought! Not only will I now get to keep the drive (which I needed urgently), I'll get the difference refunded + €30 - nice 1!
    So I bring it back up, show the guy the Marx Computers quote on their website, point at all their signs, and also smugly say that they charged me 120% more than their competitor. He prints out the quote from their website (and they ARE a retail store too - so they're a direct competitor - not some eBayer in Hong Kong), and he goes off & shows it to his manager.....
    Sooooo, he comes back & says "sorry, we can't match it - we'll give you a refund" - I said "what about those signs - you put them there, not me - are they just for a joke. What about my refunded difference + 10%?" - he said "sorry, we can't match it".
    Anyway, I just took the refund (I didn't feel hard done by, as my initial intention was to *hopefully* get a refund or store credit), but what could I have done in that situation, and what would you have done??

I should note that I always get satisfaction in relation to consumer issues, and I never get messed around; but I got my refund and hadn't been put out, so I left it. But if I had made the trip all the way back there after buying it elsewhere, I would have definitely put my foot down for the refund + 10%!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Interesting

I have never seen that sign in Liffey Valley.

Thought their signs would go like this:
    "PRICE DOUBLE - if one of our competitors has the same item more expensive, we'll charge you the difference, plus 10%"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Switcharoo

boopolo wrote: »
    Interesting

I have never seen that sign in Liffey Valley.

"PRICE DOUBLE - if one of our competitors has the same item more expensive, we'll charge you the difference, plus 10%"
    Well it was there on Sunday Nov 30th when I bought that hard drive - I didn't notice them until I came back in, and was standing around queueing for a few mins, but when I notice, they were EVERYWHERE!

Switcharoo wrote: »
    Well it was there on Sunday Nov 30th when I bought that hard drive - I didn't notice them until I came back in, and was standing around queueing for a few mins, but when I notice, they were EVERYWHERE!
    Is there small print on it? If not, are they not legally bound to give the OP back the 10%

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

DID doubles the difference if you find a product cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Is there small print on it? If not, are they not legally bound to give the OP back the 10%

Boo

Are you saying that, "the small print" constitutes a legally binding document? And no small print means they can screw customers over if they feel so inclinded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont know anyone who ould consider an online only store a direct competitor to a bricks and mortar shop. They cant compete with online stores on all their products and it's not a level playing field.

Ether way, OP was it the exact same make and model that you looked up onloine for comparison? If not then expectign a price match is takign the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Stekelly wrote: »
    I dont know anyone who ould consider an online only store a direct competitor to a bricks and mortar shop. They cant compete with online stores on all their products and it's not a level playing field.
    it's a bricks and mortar shop that also has a website
    Ether way, OP was it the exact same make and model that you looked up onloine for comparison? If not then expectign a price match is takign the piss.
    i'd agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Anyway, when I got out to the car, it just didn't feel right, so I checked the Marx Computers website on my phone (I usually go to these guys, in Fairview). And for a 1TB SATA drive, they charge €135!!
    http://www.marxcomputers.ie/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=HD_SATA&cart_id=

Was it the same product? Same manufacturer/model, etc? If it was I would raise all hell out of principle. I would write to PC World in Ireland and copy PC World in England, the National Consumer Agency here, the Consumer Association, the European Consumer Centre, etc. I would demand my money and threaten to sue in the small claims court. Make life difficult for them. Shops in Ireland seem to adopt a policy of screwing all their customers. 9 out of 10 customers will give up and walk away. That means the shop only has to deal properly with the one customer out of 10 who stays and demands his/her rights. Make sure you are always that one customer out of ten.

Of course, if it wasn't exactly the same product, you don't have a leg to stand on.:)

I dont know anyone who ould consider an online only store a direct competitor to a bricks and mortar shop.
    Me wrote:
    I usually go to these guys, in Fairview...........they ARE a retail store

:rolleyes:

The PC World hard drive was Hitachi - the Marx one on their website listing is Seagate, BUT they also stock Hitachi, Samsung & Western Digital. They are all the same price, so they only put one brand up on their website - but if I went into the store, they'd have different brands, including Hitachi, as I have bought Hitachi from them before. If they didn't have it in stock, they could get it in for the same price. I go there all the time - they just order stuff in if they don't have it stock, as long as it's a brand they usually do - which Hitachi is - & no extra charge.
    So, bottom line is, I could have gone back to PC World with a proper printed out quote from Marx for the EXACT same item for €135.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

You are getting ripped off by Marx aswell. The going rate these days for a bog standard 500gb external drive is 70-80 euros. For 135, you could get 1tb drive. In this case, PC World's probably bought those drives in when they were far more expensive, and wont go to 135 because that probably below their cost price.

You need to make yourself aware of the market prices for these things before you go buying, because the tech sector - due to the speed of price changes - is full of rip offs for the consumer.

Next time check out the likes of http://www.dabs.ie / www.komplett.ie.

You will pay more at retail, but you should pay no more the 10-20% Extra.

You are getting ripped off by Marx aswell. The going rate these days for a bog standard 500gb external drive is 70-80 euros. For 135, you could get 1tb drive.

Did you even read my post? :rolleyes:
    I checked the Marx Computers website on my phone (I usually go to these guys, in Fairview). And for a 1TB SATA drive, they charge €135!!

Who said anything about 500GB?? Either read the full post, or move along & don't bother replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Did you even read my post? :rolleyes:

Who said anything about 500GB?? Either read the full post, or move along & don't bother replying.

nice, he gives you some helpful links and instead of politely pointing out a simple mistake you have a go at him. Was going to also give you some helpful links/advice but couldn't be arsed now.

enjoy your time at boards :)

DamoKen wrote: »
    nice, he gives you some helpful links and instead of politely pointing out a simple mistake you have a go at him. Was going to also give you some helpful links/advice but couldn't be arsed now.

enjoy your time at boards :)
    He was even arsed reading my post, FFS.
    Don't skim over something, then assume you're being helpful by posting a few links that everyone already knows, but the whole idea of posting them is based on something you misread to start with! Yeah - really helpful - "here's where to get them cheaper" - when I was already getting them cheaper than he assumed!

Not being disrespectful to the guy - but at least read my initial post! I referenced "1TB SATA" drive 3 times in this topic before he replied! Never even mention 500GB. His "helpful" reply was based on wrong information - why should I be thankful for that?

Are you saying that, "the small print" constitutes a legally binding document? And no small print means they can screw customers over if they feel so inclinded?
    Em. Not sure what you mean. I asked if there was 'small print' (conditions of offer). I just asked, becase it could be relevent. IE only apply to certain items.

Anyway if you read my post previous you would see that I think that PC world are a joke. When I wrote:

I was taking the piss and I was trying to be 'funny' and saying they are sooooooooooooo expensive.

Not being disrespectful to the guy - but at least read my initial post! I referenced "1TB SATA" drive 3 times in this topic before he replied! Never even mention 500GB. His "helpful" reply was based on wrong information - why should I be thankful for that?
    Of course he was unhelpful. His links were of no help to anybody. But I think you could have been a little more subtle with your reply. IE left out the last few words.

Remember, sometimes brains just dont work as good as other times. gets 500GB mixed up wit 1TB, too many tabs/windows open in browser. Any number of reasons.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PC World Price Promise

from pcworld.co.uk (also part of DSG)

"This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store. "
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/price-match-promise

If this also applys to Ireland stores then good luck in the small claims or trying to sue :)

So there is small print ........ conditions .... call it what you like.....

This price promise applies to:
    Argos, Comet, Jessops, Tesco, John Lewis, Asda, B&Q, Game Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Maplin, Staples, Toys R Us, Zavvi.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So there is small print ........ conditions .... call it what you like.....

This price promise applies to:
    Argos, Comet, Jessops, Tesco, John Lewis, Asda, B&Q, Game Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Maplin, Staples, Toys R Us, Zavvi.

I would well imagine so, anything else would leave them open to anybody saing I can get XYZ cheaper on ebay etc and just printing out some random webpage,

Cabaal wrote: »
    I would well imagine so, anything else would leave them open to anybody saing I can get XYZ cheaper on ebay etc and just printing out some random webpage,
    But Marx Computers isn't eBay and/or internet - it's a proper retail store within 6 miles of PC World in Airside.

• Advertisement

But Marx Computers isn't eBay and/or internet - it's a proper retail store within 6 miles of PC World in Airside.
    But its not on the list of shops they say they will beat.

Thanks for the tip on Marx Computers though. Would rather give my busines to a company like them

Advertisement