Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Top 16 draw

Comments

Des wrote: »
    Epic Final. I predict eighteen bannings on this forum if it happens.

Although, Barca will win this competition.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Yea it would be a banfest. Long way to go. But you know how it works. The team that beats the team that beat Real win the CL.

How many times does the form team at this time of year fall away and a team who were dogmuck in november come into form. there's a LONG gap now till the ties, form is a funny thing.

Barca at the moment are favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Villarreal v Panathinaikos
    Inter Milan v Manchester United

Looks like finishing 2nd in the group is the new 1st :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Inter was the one team I didn't want but I would love for Utd to dump them (read him) out of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Couple of glamour ties in there:

Real/Liverpool
    Inter/United

Hopefully they aren't on the same night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So. Mourinho renews hostilities with Fergie; and Arsenal, being the only English runner-up, get arguably the easier draw of all the English teams....?

Chelsea ran up too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just to sum it all up:

Chelsea v Juventus

Villarreal v Panathinaikos

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v FC Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v Roma

Inter Milan v Manchester United

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

whats the full draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Oh crap,i am not happy with Inter bastids at all,this is gonna be tough:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Some managers have something over other managers.

Benetiz has something over Mourinho, wins most of the time.
    Fergie has something over Benetiz, wins most of the time.

Mourinho has something over Fergie. Not at all looking forward to this game, hardest possible draw we could possibly get, again.

Gah.

That said, Madrid Liverpool should be a good tie, I think Liverpool will win it.
    Juve to knock out Chelsea in a beautiful Ranieri return :)
    There is no reason at all why Arsenal should not dispose of Roma with relative ease.

On the plus side, if you get through this round, there's going to be lots of easy quarters :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea its the Murinho factor that is most worrying for me. He has a great record against fergie.

Still though - if United do one over Inter they'll be hard to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

PHB wrote: »
    That said, Madrid Liverpool should be a good tie, I think Liverpool will win it.
    Juve to knock out Chelsea in a beautiful Ranieri return :)

Could well happen. Chelsea's home form will need to pick up between now and then or they're in for troubling times in a 2-legger. Surely Scolari has very little experience dealing with the tactics of 2-legged fixtures, so he'll need to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

PHB wrote: »
    There is no reason at all why Arsenal should not dispose of Roma with relative ease.

Depends which Arsenal turns up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Think the Real game could be a classic given the tactical approach and respective strengths of the two teams.

And watching Ferguson get owned by the special one will be a guilty pleasure! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Depends which Arsenal turns up...
    Better hope it's the kids for your sake! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

abelard wrote: »
    Scolari has very little experience dealing with the tactics of 2-legged fixtures.
    That is a complete lie.

abelard wrote: »
    Could well happen. Chelsea's home form will need to pick up between now and then or they're in for troubling times in a 2-legger. Surely Scolari has very little experience dealing with the tactics of 2-legged fixtures, so he'll need to hit the ground running.
    Two time winner of the Copa Libertadores. He knows his way around a two leg knockout tie imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Guys, am I right in thinking that the 1st legs will be the Chelsea, Villareal, Sporting and Athletico games on the Tuesday night and that those teams will play the 2nd leg on the Wed night? I want to book flights for the Utd 2nd leg before Michael O'Leary increases the fares by 12,000%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Some tasty looking ties in there, most notably Barca Vs Lyon, Liverpool Vs Madrid and Man U Vs Inter.

Doubt anyone at United will be happy with that draw. Will the champions fall at the last 16 stage for the 4 season on the trot? I would not bet against it.

Athletico Vs Porto will be good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yea its the Murinho factor that is most worrying for me. He has a great record against fergie.

Still though - if United do one over Inter they'll be hard to stop.

According to Sky

PLAYED 12
    Murinho 6
    Fergie 1 :eek:
    Drawn 5

Doubt there is anyone with a better record out there ?

Think Arsenal got the best of it , But as a football fan there are some great games/draws there, looking forward to a couple of good nights .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

gimmick wrote: »
    Some tasty looking ties in there, most notably Barca Vs Lyon, Liverpool Vs Madrid and Man U Vs Inter.

Doubt anyone at United will be happy with that draw. Will the champions fall at the last 16 stage for the 4 season on the trot? I would not bet against it.

Athletico Vs Porto will be good as well.

Whaddya mean by that??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dave! wrote: »

LAst season's champions of europe have been knocked in the quarter finals the last 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Inter are absolutely woeful in the champions league. Their record over the past number of years is atrocious. Liverpool knocked them out last year. This season they have been woeful again. Two wins, two draws and two losses I think. Hardly something to worry United. I am not worried, doubt fergie is worried but I would say the special one is as he knows his new club is nowhere near the level of his last team.

Dave! wrote: »

That:

- United won't be happy playing a manager who skull ****s them regularly;
    - They will probably lose;
    - Adding to Liverpool, Barcelona and Milan who have failed at the last 16 as defending champions the past three seasons;

redout wrote: »
    Inter are absolutely woeful in the champions league. Their record over the past number of years is atrocious. Liverpool knocked them out last year. This season they have been woeful again. Two wins, two draws and two losses I think. Hardly something to worry United. I am not worried, doubt fergie is worried but I would say the special one is as he knows his new club is nowhere near the level of his last team.

Porto had some pretty poor CL pedigree in February 2004 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

united had two wins and 4 draws...hardly something to be worried about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Porto had some pretty poor CL pedigree in February 2004 imo.

as had liverpool in 05

ntlbell wrote: »
    as had liverpool in 05

Agree! Inter in 08...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

That is a complete lie.

argh.

I had intended to finish that with a question mark rather than leave it as a blanket statement.

Agree! Inter in 08...

who will madird get in the quarters?

who will madird get in the quarters?

Inter no doubt.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

tough draws, Arsenal probably got the easier tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Juventus should get through vs Chelsea, if only because the 2nd leg will be in Torino and the officials, I mean players, will know what's required.

Man Utd should dispose of the woeful in Europe Inter, Mourinho bugbear notwithstanding - the longer a run of results goes on the sooner it will end!

Liverpool should have no trouble with Real Madrid. They are relatively poor this season.

Arsenal v Roma tough to call, either one can be good or awful depending on which way the wind is blowing. I'll take Roma, because the final will be at Olympico.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Juventus should get through vs Chelsea, if only because the 2nd leg will be in Torino and the officials, I mean players, will know what's required.

Wtf are you implying here? :confused:

I'm guessing its a joke based on the match fixing scandal that led to demotion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Serie_A_scandal

united had two wins and 4 draws...hardly something to be worried about :rolleyes:

Inter in Europe
    03/04 R1
    04/05 QF
    05/06 QF
    06/07 R2
    07/08 R2

Losses to Bremen and Panathinaikos and a draw with Anorthosis Famagusta. They practically conceded as many as they scored. Would you not expect a side like Inter to be beating sides like that ? Well if you look at Inter in Europe then the results are hardly surprising.

Hardly a record to be proud of or put the ****s up United. Mourinho does not have a top class team when it comes to europe and their performances in this seasons comp shows no improvement under his tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

true. but the competition takes on a new dimension with the two-legged system (the group stage isn't the best barometer, eg Liverpool's previous stutters through to the last 16), and the games aren't till February, a lot could change by then (form, injuries, etc.)

Inter in Europe
    03/04 R1
    04/05 QF
    05/06 QF
    06/07 R2
    07/08 R2

Losses to Bremen and Panathinaikos and a draw with Anorthosis Famagusta. They practically conceded as many as they scored. Would you not expect a side like Inter to be beating sides like that ? Well if you look at Inter in Europe then the results are hardly surprising.

Hardly a record to be proud of or put the ****s up United. Mourinho does not have a top class team when it comes to europe and their performances in this seasons comp shows no improvement under his tenure.

I don't recall stating anything about inter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oh dear. It's meant to be a joke.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm guessing its a joke based on the match fixing scandal that led to demotion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Serie_A_scandal
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Oh dear. It's meant to be a joke.

I'm slow. Sorry lads. Carry on. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

- They will probably lose;

- They will probably win.

Thats both options covered so, one of us will be right lucky! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Inter is probably the worst team that Man Utd could have gotten. They have such a quality team, that's undeniable and they now have a coach who not only knows how to get it done in Europe, but knows how to get it done over Man Utd.

Serie A will probably see these 3 ties as a chance to re-establish themselves as one of the top 2 leagues

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Inter is probably the worst team that Man Utd could have gotten. They have such a quality team, that's undeniable and they now have a coach who not only knows how to get it done in Europe, but knows how to get it done over Man Utd.

Serie A will probably see these 3 ties as a chance to re-establish themselves as one of the top 2 leagues

Please I expect all 3 english teams to advance and looking at Mourinho's results so far he has not improved Inter in Europe. He does know how to do it but the problem is Inter are not as good as Chelsea. I will eat humble pie if Inter advance. When it comes to the Italian teams I would be more worried by Roma as they actually have put in good performances over recent seasons and beaten some good sides. They have beaten Lyon, Real Madrid, Man Utd and Chelsea over the past three seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

They have beaten Lyon, Real Madrid, Man Utd Reserves and Chelsea over the past three seasons.
    FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Please I expect all 3 english teams to advance and looking at Mourinho's results so far he has not improved Inter in Europe.

All 3?Who did you forget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

titan18 wrote: »
    All 3?Who did you forget?

Stop being an arsehole.

If you read his post you'd realise he was talking about the three English-Italian matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SantryRed wrote: »
    Stop being an arsehole.

If you read his post you'd realise he was talking about the three English-Italian matches.

I did read the post actually and I agree that the Italian teams will see these games as a chance to qualify.I think all 4 English teams will be out of the competition though in this round.I cant see anyone of them getting through.Barcelona should walk away it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I am not that scared of Inter but United's recent form makes me more worried,but anyway who knows how the things will look like in February..

titan18 wrote: »
    I did read the post actually and I agree that the Italian teams will see these games as a chance to qualify.I think all 4 English teams will be out of the competition though in this round.I cant see anyone of them getting through.Barcelona should walk away it aswell

Are you smokin the Wacky Tobacky brother ? Bar a disaster of catastrophic proportions the only place you will see that happen is when your off your head in the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Barca won't win this competition.

They can't keep this form up. When they go off the boil, someone will take advantage and they'll be knocked out.

• Advertisement

FYP

United Reserves ?

The team that night when we were beaten 2-1 in April 2007 was:

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Heinze, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Brown, Ronaldo, Giggs (Saha 77), Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Solskjaer (Fletcher 72).

I would not call that the reserves. Nine of that same team won 7-1 a week later.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze, O'Shea (Evra 52), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick (Richardson 73), Giggs (Solskjaer 61), Rooney, Smith

Advertisement