Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT second hand car

Options
  • 19-12-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Never had a car before, so I may be a little clueless, sorry.

Buying a car from my Mam... 2005 Corsa, for 6,000 Euro. Was getting an insurance quote today and they asked was I the registered owner, of course I said no, they said I would have to have it registered before they could insure, as you cant insure what you don't own.

Where do I register ownership? How much does it cost? Is this VRT? Went onto the revenue site, it said the VRT for this type of car was more than 2000! Hopefully VRT is only if you are importing?

Any help would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No, unless the car is not registered in Ireland, you do not have to pay vrt.

It's free to transfer the ownership. Get the tax book, fill out your details on the back and send it to the Deparment of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare.

It's take a few weeks, but once you have it sent off you can consider the car in your name. Just tell the insurance company it's being transfered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Phew, thanks Limerick man.

Advertisement