Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok so who's thinking of Downgrading their UPC Broadband max before price increase?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭

I certainly am, they have been times when their service has been pretty patchy , I mean I'll pay the €40 but 42 don't think so, I'll live with the 10meg service, I'll take the €10 charge.

Anyone else thinking about it?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I certainly am, they have been times when their service has been pretty patchy , I mean I'll pay the €40 but 42 don't think so, I'll live with the 10meg service, I'll take the €10 charge.

Anyone else thinking about it?

€10 charge?????? For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

All my speedtests show 10 mb down 1.5mb up so I think I'll downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Rorser wrote: »
    €10 charge?????? For what?

I'd be very quick to ask why I've been paying an extra €10 every month getting 10mb instead of 20mb

I'd be very quick to ask why I've been paying an extra €10 every month getting 10mb instead of 20mb

Didnt he say he would have to pay a €10 charge for something???

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭endaob

There's a €10 charge for downgrading a service with UPC. Might wait til I can cancel their TV and get sky in instead ... I think it's one charge for downgrading everything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

what now?

they are upping the price of the 20mb package??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

afaik everythin is goin/gone up 2 euro
    but come one an extra 2 on top of 40 is hardly somethin to worry about

guil07 wrote: »
    afaik everythin is goin/gone up 2 euro
    but come one an extra 2 on top of 40 is hardly somethin to worry about

true, but wtf....€10 for "downgrading"......does any other company do that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom do. Don't know about anyone else. I assume the eircom resellers do the same. Meh, 'tis only €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've a notion some of UPC's practices may be illegal under competiton law somewhere. For example, a €3 non direct-debit charge? And a €6 fee for having 20MB broadband as stand-alone (without TV/phone) - and it's actually marketed that way, not as a discount for having TV as well etc.

Dodge.

That and as proven tonight, it doesn't work. But it's a million times better than Eircom so I'm staying where I am at €49/mo...:-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Tis only 50quid a month lads. But im a bit shocked at their 2€ increase, i've no problem paying it if their overall service gets better. But if it stays the same ill end my contract with them and get in magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BT & Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the increase is due to the tax increase

everything will be going up not just upc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So I wonder if you downgrade and get pay your €10, will they charge you another €10 if you at some stage in the future decide to upgrade,
    20meg is all well and good if its consistant, but the amount of times I've seen the speed drop really badly has increased recently and tbh I don't believe I use the full package ever, what real practical use has it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the increase is due to the tax increase

everything will be going up not just upc

VAT went up 0.5%...on €40 that would be an increase of 16.5c. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

So I wonder if you downgrade and get pay your €10, will they charge you another €10 if you at some stage in the future decide to upgrade,
    20meg is all well and good if its consistant, but the amount of times I've seen the speed drop really badly has increased recently and tbh I don't believe I use the full package ever, what real practical use has it really?

torrents!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

....what real practical use has it really?
    plenty.

video streaming (proper video streaming, not youtube) downloading game demo's, linux distro's, ftp'ing web serving. oh yes, and torrenting. ;)

tbh if you're not using it you probably should downgrade and save yourself a few quid (after the 10€ charge) but plenty of us make the msot of what we have although I would like to see my full 20mbps from time to time.

vibe666 wrote: »
    plenty.

video streaming (proper video streaming, not youtube) downloading game demo's, linux distro's, ftp'ing web serving. oh yes, and torrenting. ;)

tbh if you're not using it you probably should downgrade and save yourself a few quid (after the 10€ charge) but plenty of us make the msot of what we have although I would like to see my full 20mbps from time to time.

Torrents is really reliant on the peers your downloading from, so your never going to hit that, on public torrents, you might on private problem is private torrents set ratio's so your upload speed is actually more important, anyway UPC traffic shape and trottle torrents, so gave up on them 6 months ago. I'm signed up with Rapidshare, not to pushed it downloads will now take 20 minutes rather then 10, no big deal. Also I thought with the upgrade to 20mb I would have been able to do downloads and would have been able to use blueface making calls at the same time, this is not the case so have to pause downloads while I make a call, :(
    I'll think about it over the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Okay so do they charge for going up to the next package too?

If its an administrative cost like. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

BT & Eircom

Nothing on my bill about it.
    Am I missing something?
    Not that I'm a major Eircom fan but I have to say it was a hell of a lot less hassle ringing Eircom than the dreded NTL/UPC cabol.
    On the other hand for your 10Euros you will get at least 25minutes of quality classical music free while on hold with NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Hi,

I was thinking of switching to UPC but I have a question. I dont have a bank account in Ireland and try to pay as much as I can with my creditcard.

Now I know that UPC does accept payment by creditcard but I am unsure if they are charging extra as some companies in Ireland unfortunately do?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bricks wrote: »
    Nothing on my bill about it.
    Am I missing something?
    Not that I'm a major Eircom fan but I have to say it was a hell of a lot less hassle ringing Eircom than the dreded NTL/UPC cabol.
    On the other hand for your 10Euros you will get at least 25minutes of quality classical music free while on hold with NTL.

A lot of classical music is public domain so you could just download it for free :P

anyway UPC traffic shape and trottle torrents, so gave up on them 6 months ago.
    you're doing it wrong then, I've never had any issues with traffic shaping or throttling of any kind. my torrents are running much quicker than they ever were with my BT DSL. maybe it's due to the increased upload, but I'm certainly not complaining.

see below. admittedly this was a test of 2 well seeded torrents, but it pretty clearly shows no speed issues, throttling or traffic shaping.

and that's Bytes, not bits. ;)

speedy.jpg

you're doing it wrong then, I've never had any issues with traffic shaping or throttling of any kind. my torrents are running much quicker than they ever were with my BT DSL. maybe it's due to the increased upload, but I'm certainly not complaining.

see below. admittedly this was a test of 2 well seeded torrents, but it pretty clearly shows no speed issues, throttling or traffic shaping.

and that's Bytes, not bits. ;)

speedy.jpg

Thanks for the input, i'll know everything is ok if I ever downgrade to BT:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Nice linux ISOs magicmarker :D

Thanks for the input, i'll know everything is ok if I ever downgrade to BT:rolleyes:
    what are you on about? do yourself a favour and read my post before making smart ass comments.
    ...my torrents are running much quicker than they ever were with my BT DSL....
    this is an ntl 20mbps thread which is what i'm talking about. :rolleyes:

torrenting around 3x faster on ntl 20mbps than I was on the bt (eircom) 7.6mbps. no sign of any kind of traffic shaping and everything I could possibly want is downloaded plenty quick enough and i couldn't even envisage a situation where I'd pay for something like rapidshare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

torrenting around 3x faster on ntl 20mbps than I was on the bt (eircom) 7.6mbps. no sign of any kind of traffic shaping and everything I could possibly want is downloaded plenty quick enough and i couldn't even envisage a situation where I'd pay for something like rapidshare.

No doubt all of that is true. However, if you were on any kind of tracker where you need to keep a ratio, you'd find that what UPC throttles is the upstream bandwidth. That makes it impossible to keep a ratio up.

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    No doubt all of that is true. However, if you were on any kind of tracker where you need to keep a ratio, you'd find that what UPC throttles is the upstream bandwidth. That makes it impossible to keep a ratio up.

again, no not at all (in my experience so far).

my ratio used to be terrible (as you can see from the little yellow button at the bottom in my screen grab which was taken on my first day with ntl). since i moved over I've managed to up my ratio from a rather poor 0.6(ish) to over 1.5.

admittedly I did reset it after having been moved over for a few days as the ratio didn't seem to be moving upwards at any kind of meaningful rate due to how long it had been down, but it soon shot up after being reset and has been holding at a steady 1.5xx now for several weeks.

I've rarely used private trackers except when something is unavailable anywhere else, but I don't have any speed issues on the public trackers that I use, so why bother?

i suppose my lack of speed issues could be related to my area only recently getting the 20mbps service and maybe there's not a lot of other people using it, but so far(touch wood) i'm yet to have any real issues.

i do rarely get anything like the full 20mbps out of it (i think 18 down was my max in speed tests) and it does tend to wander up and down depending on the time of day when i do the speed tests, but overall i'm delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

We have UPC 3MB - have had for a few years. Fine for our needs. Being billed at €30/month.

However on the bill it says we have "Broadband Express". Which, according to the website should be 10MB.

So, I call UPC. I tell them we appear to be getting the "broadband value" service, but are being billed for "broadband express".

No, they say, we have the "old broadband value" which costs €30, not the current one which costs €20. Strange, there is no mention of this "old" product on the bill or website. As far as I can see, they have three broadband products - we are receiving the 3MB product, but are getting billed for the 10MB product.

So, can we have a refund? Certainly not. On the contrary, if we want to start paying the correct price for the product (€20), we can pay €10 "downgrade" charge.

How can that be a downgrade I ask? We have 3MB - we will still have the same 3MB service. They say, we are "downgrading the price, not the service".

This is staggering. After some discussion they agree to "waive the downgrade fee". What a company. However, I know from past experience that BT and EIrcom are no better.

• Advertisement

lostinNaas wrote: »
    We have UPC 3MB - have had for a few years. Fine for our needs. Being billed at €30/month.

However on the bill it says we have "Broadband Express". Which, according to the website should be 10MB.

So, I call UPC. I tell them we appear to be getting the "broadband value" service, but are being billed for "broadband express".

No, they say, we have the "old broadband value" which costs €30, not the current one which costs €20. Strange, there is no mention of this "old" product on the bill or website. As far as I can see, they have three broadband products - we are receiving the 3MB product, but are getting billed for the 10MB product.

So, can we have a refund? Certainly not. On the contrary, if we want to start paying the correct price for the product (€20), we can pay €10 "downgrade" charge.

How can that be a downgrade I ask? We have 3MB - we will still have the same 3MB service. They say, we are "downgrading the price, not the service".

This is staggering. After some discussion they agree to "waive the downgrade fee". What a company. However, I know from past experience that BT and EIrcom are no better.

well not everyone applies a downgrade charge.

Advertisement