Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok so who's thinking of Downgrading their UPC Broadband max before price increase?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Rorser wrote: »
    well not everyone applies a downgrade charge.

Especially when you are not downgrading!!! Downgrading the price thats a new one!!!!:rolleyes:

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

dub45 wrote: »
    Especially when you are not downgrading!!! Downgrading the price thats a new one!!!!:rolleyes:

Im sorry.....this is the best ever case of "computer says no"

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Actually UPC girl almost used those words! She said "there's nothing I can do about it, as soon as I press the button, the downgrade charge will be applied automatically".

After I calmed down, she seemed to find another button. :rolleyes:

lostinNaas wrote: »
    Actually UPC girl almost used those words! She said "there's nothing I can do about it, as soon as I press the button, the downgrade charge will be applied automatically".

WTF...she must have solemnly believed that the computers were running the business. Some people dont realise that decisions are made by human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'd seriously be asking to talk to a manager at that stage, that is ridiculous.

find out when the upgrades happened and how long they've been incorrectly billing you and get a refund off them asap.

it doesn't matter what you're doing in life, if someone tells you that they are going to screw you and you bend over and take it, then they'll keep doing it.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »

find out when the upgrades happened and how long they've been incorrectly billing you and get a refund off them asap.

it doesn't matter what you're doing in life, if someone tells you that they are going to screw you and you bend over and take it, then they'll keep doing it.

"puter says naoo"

screw the pooter, see what dunphy has to say about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's been no incorrect billing, he was being billed for the service he was on. The "upgrades" were new services which were launched, afaik you had to agree to a new 12 month contract to be put on the new packages. (I'm ignoring the downgrade/etc carfuddle, I presume the agent was confused on the other end of the phone)

Moriarty wrote: »
    There's been no incorrect billing, he was being billed for the service he was on. The "upgrades" were new services which were launched, afaik you had to agree to a new 12 month contract to be put on the new packages. (I'm ignoring the downgrade/etc carfuddle, I presume the agent was confused on the other end of the phone)
    that sounds very dodgy to me. they're upgrading all their services and instead of updating all their users they keep them on the old packages at the old higher price and charge them to downgrade their bill to a lower price for the same service?

that sounds very dodgy to me. they're upgrading all their services and instead of updating all their users they keep them on the old packages at the old higher price and charge them to downgrade their bill to a lower price for the same service?

Or, at the very least, they should have automatically upgraded our service to 10MB, since that is what they are charging us for. But they didn't. I asked about this and they say they would have if we had asked for it, that they published this information on the website.

We are long past the original 12 month contract. To me it is simple - they have three products listed on their website: value, express, ultra. We are getting "value" and being billed for "express". It says so on the bill. If we are paying €30/month for an "old" product, then surely they should call it something else, like "old broadband value, 10 euro more than current broadband value, thanks sucker".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What level of service did you sign up to, at what price?

You've been paying the same amount of money for the same level of service all along, correct?

UPC haven't done anything wrong. They sent out promotional bumph in at least two of their billing cycles letting customers know about the new high speed services. They've been on their website for aaaaaages. All you had to do was ask to be 'upgraded'.

I've being going to the same lady for a haircut for years. Nice lady, and transparent about the price - it's posted on the door and inside. Last month it was €16 for wash and cut.

Last week I was surprised to see she'd dropped the price to €10. How's that, I ask? She points at the new hairdresser across the street, run by a couple of Polish women. Competitive pressures, she says, rolling her eyes. Yes, and they're better looking too, but I didn't say that out loud.

Anyway, says she, I'm only charging new customers 10 euro, for you it's still 16.
    Wha? I say. Well, she says, that's sounds unfair, tell you what, I'll throw in a beard trim, and you have to promise to only come to me for the next year. But I don't have a beard and don't plan on growing one.

At this point she gets quite annoyed and says well, if you insist, I'll charge you the new price from now on, but you'll have to slip me a tenner. Grand says I.

Ok, that's not a true story, but it's how I explained UPC's business practice to my mother, who is not clear what a MB is.

Moriarty - I don't agree with you. Their "upgrade" is just a sneaky way to get me nailed down for another 12 month contact. I am out of contract. I don't want or need an upgrade from 3MB to 10MB. If they change the price for the 3MB service, up OR down, it should be applied to everyone on that service that is out of contract.

I've being going to the same lady for a haircut for years. Nice lady, and transparent about the price - it's posted on the door and inside. Last month it was €16 for wash and cut.

Last week I was surprised to see she'd dropped the price to €10. How's that, I ask? She points at the new hairdresser across the street, run by a couple of Polish women. Competitive pressures, she says, rolling her eyes. Yes, and they're better looking too, but I didn't say that out loud.

Anyway, says she, I'm only charging new customers 10 euro, for you it's still 16.
    Wha? I say. Well, she says, that's sounds unfair, tell you what, I'll throw in a beard trim, and you have to promise to only come to me for the next year. But I don't have a beard and don't plan on growing one.

At this point she gets quite annoyed and says well, if you insist, I'll charge you the new price from now on, but you'll have to slip me a tenner. Grand says I.

Ok, that's not a true story, but it's how I explained UPC's business practice to my mother, who is not clear what a MB is.

Moriarty - I don't agree with you. Their "upgrade" is just a sneaky way to get me nailed down for another 12 month contact. I am out of contract. I don't want or need an upgrade from 3MB to 10MB. If they change the price for the 3MB service, up OR down, it should be applied to everyone on that service that is out of contract.

And when they increase their prices they conveniently forget that you signed up to an older price! No problem there in applying the new price to everyone!!!:rolleyes:

Blame UTV they were the first ones to introduce this lark of refusing to pass on new product prices unless you signed up for a further 12 months and people on here actually defended them at the time!!!!!

What level of service did you sign up to, at what price?

You've been paying the same amount of money for the same level of service all along, correct?

UPC haven't done anything wrong. They sent out promotional bumph in at least two of their billing cycles letting customers know about the new high speed services. They've been on their website for aaaaaages. All you had to do was ask to be 'upgraded'.
    i wonder if people would be saying that if eircom had done the same thing when they did their own speed increases instead of automatically upgrading everyone?

not everyone reads the mountains of crap mail that comes through their door, or looks at their ISP's website reguarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

You sign a contract for a service regardless of the 12 month period being over you you still only requested the 3mb service. Mobile phone companies have been doing it for years. changing their price plans and not automaticly changing people over.

Now they could have came back to you and said they had a new package would you like to sign up. which most good companys would do.

The fact that it says on the bill your paying for Broadband express instead of your original package you should be able to get something back. might be worth havingg a chat with someone in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I disagree, he signed up for a specific package which cost a set price and gave a set speed, UPC upgraded the speeds on each of their packages and should either have lowered the price charged to the customer or increased the customer's speed since they billed the customer for "broadband express" and failed to provide them with that.

Im considering switching over to UPC from Digiweb, for the faster speed, and more importantly the lower price and lack of cap.

Stokolan wrote: »
    You sign a contract for a service regardless of the 12 month period being over you you still only requested the 3mb service. Mobile phone companies have been doing it for years. changing their price plans and not automaticly changing people over.

Just to remind people that because someone else does this - does not in any way justify UPC doing it.
    Stokolan wrote: »
    Now they could have came back to you and said they had a new package would you like to sign up. which most good companys would do.

Why not show some goodwil to customers and just do this automatically?

The much maligned Eircom have done this since the introduction of bb.

dub45 wrote: »
    Why not show some goodwil to customers and just do this automatically?

The much maligned Eircom have done this since the introduction of bb.

ditto.

i'm sure there's no legal reason obliging them to do this, but it's still pretty shoddy.

Advertisement