Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heath - oscar

• 19-12-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

So who thinks Heath will get a posthumous oscar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The only role of the competition I have seen is Robert Downey jr. in Tropic Thunder. That shouldn't trouble Heath's chances. What will is Josh Brolin's role in Milk which has really been getting rave reviews, Sean Penn is apparently a shoe in for Best Actor for his role in it. I wouldn't be too concerned about Hoffman and Dev Patel.

In summary, I think he'll win it, especially since he missed out in 2005 over what many claim was because the academy thought he'd have plenty more chances to win it, whereas Hoffman maybe wouldn't of. That's not to say he doesn't deserve it on merit though, but I'd have to see all performances before I could stick my neck out on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kyora

I hope he wins...i thought he was an amazing joker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If he wasn't dead, no one would consider him for it, so I hope he doesn't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But prior to his death there was gushing acclaim for his performance by those who had seen it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't really care. It's only an Oscar.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    But prior to his death there was gushing acclaim for his performance by those who had seen it.

It's a comic book action movie though... not a chance he would have won an oscar.

Maybe an MTV movie award, but not an oscar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Heath was getting a lot of great buzz for the role before his death also.

I think he is a lock for the best supporting actor oscar i dont see anyone really challenging him at all.

I think the 5 nominees will be

Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder

Ralph Fiennes – The Duchess

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight
    Josh Brolin - Milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

considering no country got an oscar last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

oh really you thought no country was crap? I thought i was the only one, thought it would never end. Javier Bardem was the best thing about it but i don't understand all the hype over some movies nominated for oscars.

However i do think Heath deserves the oscar i've watched the dark knight 3 times now and he was terrific. The film was about 30 mins too long though! I don't think it matters if people think he deserves it or not he has it in the bag. In fact i doubt anyone else nominated against him would even want to win as its so evident everyone wishes it for Heath. I think his parents have the acceptance speech written, well rehearsed at this stage and the flight tickets booked. I for one won't be complaining :p

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It's a comic book action movie though... not a chance he would have won an oscar.

Maybe an MTV movie award, but not an oscar...

Even when the trailers came out, prior to his death, people were raving about what he did with the character. For me, the performance was brilliant, every time he wasn't on the screen I was anticipating with excitement as to when he'd be on the screen next.

He deserved a nomination on merit. However, I don't think he would have been nominated for a Golden Globe, or an Oscar, had he not died. The Dark Knight was a genre splitting film, much more than just a comic book movie, but all the same the academy would still begrudge giving it an oscar nod.

I hope he wins, because they did him over in 2005 for Best Actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The fact that he didn't get an oscar for Brokeback Mountain was a disgrace. It was honestly one of the best performance I've ever seen on screen. This is coming from a huge Seymour Hoffman fan whose performance in Capote was outstanding but Ledgers' outshone even that.
    The campaign and whispers of a posthumous oscar have been consistently strong and it wouldn't be a surprise to see them fulfilled.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Even when the trailers came out, prior to his death, people were raving about what he did with the character. For me, the performance was brilliant, every time he wasn't on the screen I was anticipating with excitement as to when he'd be on the screen next.

If you look at his performance though, you will see he is simply playing a bad guy, rather than playing a flawed character who does bad things.

As a way of comparison, De Niro in Heat is a flawed person who does bad things. IMO, this is a much more difficult role to play - anyone can put up on makeup and act evil.

Do you know what I mean?

The role of the joker is a pantomine type role. For this I can't see it being valued.

I much preferred his role in Brokeback Mountain. I know he played a sort of 'dead' character, but at least you got the impression he was a man struggling with his emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shantel22

I hope he wins 2.gif

If you look at his performance though, you will see he is simply playing a bad guy, rather than playing a flawed character who does bad things.

As a way of comparison, De Niro in Heat is a flawed person who does bad things. IMO, this is a much more difficult role to play - anyone can put up on makeup and act evil.

Do you know what I mean?

I see what you mean.

The thing about the character is that he is a bad guy. Is it pantomine? Clearly a certain element is with him being The Joker and all. But I think to simply dismiss the character as pantomine is understating the role. The reason why I think this is because we are always looking for flawed characters, characters with some redeeming qualities. It has almost become a cliche in Hollywood.

The Joker in TDK was like Javier Bardem's role in No Country For Old Men in a way. Both very scary characters not because of what they did but because of who they were; men that don't want anything, men that can't be reasoned with. They just want to see destruction. It's quite difficult to get that absence of conflict, compassion and empathy across on screen so both roles were outstanding in that respect.

Javier won an oscar for his role, I don't see why Heath shouldn't at least be in the running.

I much preferred his role in Brokeback Mountain. I know he played a sort of 'dead' character, but at least you got the impression he was a man struggling with his emotions.

As did I. I know there are many people out there avoiding it because it's a "gay cowboy" movie but don't be fooled by the media. It's not as graphic as they would lead you to believe and it is so much more than just a story of two males falling in love.

Heath really did deserve an Oscar for the role of Ennis, a man who wouldn't let himself be himself because of the people around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I agree 100%.

No way in hell he should win.

Then again I'm in the minority in that I thought the Dark Knight was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

I thought heath played the part poetically. its easy to suggest that simply dressing up and splashing on some make up, makes playing the part easy. Surely Jack Nicholas disproved this a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

The oscars are a joke, if he's even nominated it'll be the latest in a long string of terrible decisions.

I mean, Angelina Jolie will probably be nominated, and she made Wanted this year!

Linku wrote: »
    The oscars are a joke

I agree completely, even forgetting whether they make the right decisions or not, the whole "let's pat ourselves on the back in the most dramatic way possible" is so silly...

They're entertaining though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

JP Liz wrote: »
    Heath was getting a lot of great buzz for the role before his death also.

I think he is a lock for the best supporting actor oscar i dont see anyone really challenging him at all.

I think the 5 nominees will be

Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder

Ralph Fiennes – The Duchess

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight
    Josh Brolin - Milk

Big noises now that Mickey Rourke may get a nomination for The Wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I hope so. I don't get why Downey Jr. is nominated though. I wasn't that impressed with him in 'Tropic Thunder' to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Downy Jr for an Oscar for Tropic Thunder??

Seriously? Do you even know the Oscars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Mickey Rourke is lock for best actor nomination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I concur. A sympathy award if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Acacia wrote: »
    I hope so. I don't get why Downey Jr. is nominated though. I wasn't that impressed with him in 'Tropic Thunder' to be honest.
    Linku wrote: »
    Downy Jr for an Oscar for Tropic Thunder??

Seriously? Do you even know the Oscars?

I thought Downey Jr was FANTASTIC in tropic thunder, the way he played the character and even at one point referring to himself (Downey Jr) rather then the two other characters "I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!" :D

Edit to stay on topic, ledger was great as well but between the two of them Downey gets my vote, they (as already said) would be givin ledger the nod cos he is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

JP Liz wrote: »
    Mickey Rourke is lock for best actor nomination
    Is he not dead yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Aidric wrote: »
    Is he not dead yet?

Very much alive and gives a brilliant performance in The Wrestler. Tops Ledger in the Dark Knight IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

+1

I can see Ralph Fiennes winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I can just see it now...........

"And the oscar goes to Heath ledger for the Dark Night,unfortunately Heath could not be with us tonight but he did send us this video message"(from beyond)

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha

to stay on topic though he was good in the Dark Night. The scene when he waddles out of the hospital as it blows up was freakin magic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

His would be Best Actor, not Best Supporting Actor, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

GAAman wrote: »
    I thought Downey Jr was FANTASTIC in tropic thunder, the way he played the character and even at one point referring to himself (Downey Jr) rather then the two other characters "I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!" :D

Yeah, I see your point there, but Ledger just blew me away. Downey Jr. was just okay for me.

Cue shouts of : 'TDK fangirl!' :P

Otacon wrote: »
    His would be Best Actor, not Best Supporting Actor, no?

Nope, it's indeed Best Actor. A lot of outlets are billing it as a showdown between Rourke and Penn for the gong.

Advertisement