Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone interpret this server information for me please?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I have the following information about the disk drives on one of my servers:

Physical Disks
    hda: HL-DT-ST GCR-8240N, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hda: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
    SCSI device sda: 143372544 512-byte hdwr sectors (73407 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 06 00 00 00
    SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
    SCSI device sda: 143372544 512-byte hdwr sectors (73407 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 06 00 00 00
    SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back

Could someone confirm if the above says I have one disk drive, or two disk drives, i.e. RAID?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It's being presented as one (SCSI) disk drive anyway. Most hardware RAID will present itself as one drive (i.e. the OS doesn't know anything about the RIAD part; it's all handled by the hardware RAID card).

So either you have 1 75 GB SCSI drive, or a RAID array (of any level) with 75GB available storage. If you do lspci, you might see the RAID hardware adaptor (Adaptec, 3Ware, etc.) to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

lspci worked a treat. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Another question, if you don't mind. Is there any way I can inspect the contents of the second drive? Basically I'm a bit paranoid it may not be mirroring the contents of my main drive.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Not that I'm aware of, no. It won't be a normal "drive" per se. You can't mount the 2 drives and see contents (because it's all RAID gobbeldy gook).

You can use a RAID management utility (or RAID BIOS util) to report on the drives' status (and the health of the array in general), and/or run sanity tests on the array (although most tests disable the array during these tests; a problem if your OS is on the array!). After that, you have to trust that the RAID controller is doing its job and reporting correctly.

Generally, the utility is manufacturer-specific, and can even be RAID controller-specific. I'd be surprised if it wasn't installed on your server. Just google the controller make/model and find out about its command line util.

Advertisement